The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tony Faulkner tries out some new Rode prototypes
Old 10th March 2019
Lives for gear

You'll have to wait, I'm afraid, as it's not mine to show. But soon, I'm sure.

Regards,

John
Old 10th March 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
Pics or it didn't happen.
I was there. Both tfm mics are real. Very real. Tfm50 and cardioid capsule schoeps-alike tfm
Old 10th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonhoneyball View Post
I was there. Both tfm mics are real. Very real. Tfm50 and cardioid capsule schoeps-alike tfm
Also a new cardioid mic in the shape and size of a Schoeps? So it is totally different from the NT-5? Exciting!
Old 10th March 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas_G View Post
Also a new cardioid mic in the shape and size of a Schoeps? So it is totally different from the NT-5? Exciting!
Just checked with tony who is stood next to me at ips event in beaconsfield

Called tf5
Old 10th March 2019
Lives for gear
Soon there's going to be a line of TF named and endorsed Rode mics....don't leave home for any remote gig without the complete set ....wonder if they'll have his signature etched or silk-screened on the black surface
Old 10th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonhoneyball View Post
Did it look like this?

Old 10th March 2019
Gear Guru

Smile

Tony had it with him at the ABC of AoIP weekend (organised by the Institute of Professiopnal Sound) this weekend - unfortunately I did not get a chance to see it.
Old 11th March 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Soon there's going to be a line of TF named and endorsed Rode mics....don't leave home for any remote gig without the complete set ....wonder if they'll have his signature etched or silk-screened on the black surface
Still okay I suppose. Your career is really only over once you have your own line of Waves plugins.
Old 11th March 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumleymusic View Post
Still okay I suppose. Your career is really only over once you have your own line of Waves plugins.
Absolutely, I have no problem with this level of celebrity endorsement...he's hardly a household name yet, despite his fame in these circles. I'm kinda surprised we haven't seen Plush's name engraved on any high end gear yet (Nagra, Stellavox etc) but maybe modesty prevents him....or he's coyly waiting to be asked ?
Old 11th March 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Did it look like this?
That description of the new NT5 makes me wonder if they haven't enlarged the capsule diameter ? The original's outer casing diameter must be the typical SD mic dimension of 21-23mm, making the capsule smaller than that. 25mm is the equivalent of the '1/2" description .....which would make for a wider casing altogether.

Or are Rode just being casual, sloppy and generic in calling the typical SD mic "half-inch" ? We shall soon find out, no doubt.... Also, the one described here is cardioid....I trust they'll produce an omni capsule too ?
Old 11th March 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Did it look like this?
Similarish, but I didnt get a good enough look to know for sure

I might have misunderstood the name and it is what you have shown, but im sure there will be news soon. Others saw it too, and maybe have a better take on it. I have soundfield/shoeps/royer sf24, dont have any rode yet. But the TFM50 could certainly tempt me, depending on price (of course). It is a thing of beauty.
Old 11th March 2019
RPC
Gear Addict

Quote:
That description of the new NT5 makes me wonder if they haven't enlarged the capsule diameter ? The original's outer casing diameter must be the typical SD mic dimension of 21-23mm, making the capsule smaller than that. 25mm is the equivalent of the '1/2" description .....which would make for a wider casing altogether.

Or are Rode just being casual, sloppy and generic in calling the typical SD mic "half-inch" ? We shall soon find out, no doubt.... Also, the one described here is cardioid....I trust they'll produce an omni capsule too ?
My guess is that it's an NT-5 with the TF-45C capsule they're using on the NT-SF1. (The capsule designation seems a dead giveaway...) Oh, and maybe the new output connector they were threatening when this whole exercise began? (BTW, I contacted Rode when the NT-SF1 came out and asked if the capsules were available separately - they said "no.")
Old 11th March 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPC View Post
My guess is that it's an NT-5 with the TF-45C capsule they're using on the NT-SF1. (The capsule designation seems a dead giveaway...) Oh, and maybe the new output connector they were threatening when this whole exercise began? (BTW, I contacted Rode when the NT-SF1 came out and asked if the capsules were available separately - they said "no.")
Maybe we'll come to appreciate (in time) that brittle plastic-looking Neutrik/Ethernet connector that's slated for the new NT-5..if it winds up banishing a whole lot of RF that might plague us in the future (or maybe it's already here...and the new connector will remove it for us ?)

However, I just see it as another set of necessary adapter tails to be bought or soldered up..it will be hard to shake the anachronistic belief that nothing but an XLR belongs in the rear of a mic

Non-interchangeable capsules to replace currently interchangeable ones... It desperately requires TF's engraved signature on the barrel, to offer some redemption for all these faux pas by Rode
Old 11th March 2019
RPC
Gear Addict

So let me put this out there...who's got an NT-SF1? Could you answer two questions?
1) Do the capsules unscrew? (Be gentle!)
2) If so, do they fit on an NT-5?
Old 11th March 2019
0VU
Gear Addict

Quote:

25mm is 0.4mm shy of an inch. Half an inch is 12.7mm.
Old 12th March 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0VU View Post
25mm is 0.4mm shy of an inch. Half an inch is 12.7mm.
Of course you're right .....my bad (metrics) !
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search