The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tony Faulkner tries out some new Rode prototypes Condenser Microphones
Old 16th July 2018
It was a prototype, not a finished product. I am banking on that. Probably Neutrik wanted to get some user impressions on the connector. I don't think it means Rode will definitely release the new NT5 with this connector. In all likelihood, the mounting for this and the XLR connectors are identical. Certainly it is a non-starter for me if it is released with this connector. I nave no intention of fishing around in my bag for a dedicated cable for one type of microphone, nor modding the microphone to suit my needs. Perhaps if they sold both this and an XLR version, they could salvage the idea.
Old 16th July 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by panatrope View Post
Neutrik living up to its name - another "new trick"? It certain moved past the original "Cannon" connector.

The key question is, "what is the problem this new design is solving?". Interesting that Røde, which has an aggressive approach to innovation, is prepared to take on the risk of using it - I assume the answer offered by Neutrik to the above question must have interested them. Now users have to take it on and answer the above question themselves in their terms.
I'm predicting we'll see Neutrik supplied graphs showing us a plethora of previously unknown-of RF pollution which has been messing up our mic inputs...and an 'after' set showing how magically clean those inputs will be when using the new connector

"A veil of obscuring layers of intermodulating noise was lifted...it was like 'hearing' through a freshly cleaned window for the first time", etc etc Cue entry of slightly revamped power-line conditioner rhetoric, in the service of a new evil...
Old 16th July 2018
Lives for gear

Haha. My favorite? A REALLY expensive AC cable plugged into the wall. It made a night-and-day difference.

D.

Oh, and then up on little maple blocks. Made it even BETTER.
Old 16th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
... are Røde prepared to produce the new mics in two versions - the traditional XLR version and the new version (perhaps packaged with a usable length of mic cable terminated new/XLR), and let the market decide?
Maybe like Texas-based antenna systems manufacturer I dealt with last millennium. All his antennas were fitted with the "American" connector, but with a view to expanding his international market, he also started offering them fitted with the "European" connector. He was so convinced of the benefits of the latter, he offered double the warranty period for those antennas. (BTW, the CEO's name was also Peter ... )

(Another AES-op fable.)
Old 16th July 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
(Another AES-op fable.)
Old 16th July 2018
Quote:
Haha. My favorite? A REALLY expensive AC cable plugged into the wall. It made a night-and-day difference.
I am a firm believer that it is the monitors you mix on that make the most difference. The higher the resolution the better. It can be a very weak point in the signal chain if your audio goes through bad monitors.

4k is much better than HD. And preferably OLED.
Old 16th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumleymusic View Post
i am a firm believer that it is the monitors you mix on that make the most difference. The higher the resolution the better. It can be a very weak point in the signal chain if your audio goes through bad monitors.

4k is much better than hd. And preferably oled. Gooof
lol!

D.
Old 16th July 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumleymusic View Post
I am a firm believer that it is the monitors you mix on that make the most difference. The higher the resolution the better. It can be a very weak point in the signal chain if your audio goes through bad monitors.

4k is much better than HD. And preferably OLED.
Well, I'll be pixellated...and here I was thinkin' you was talking about them other kinds a monitors
Old 17th July 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
And just to reiterate, Neutrik makes a really efficient XLR connector specifically for shielding against EMI.

NC3MXX-EMC - Neutrik

Personal experience says it works well.

D.
I think this xlr is what terminates most of my cables now, which could be the reason I've not had trouble with RF. I'll check them and make sure I'm not just spouting hot air. Cables are mainly Van Damme so they may be using them as a general practice.
Old 17th July 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Poulton View Post
I think this xlr is what terminates most of my cables now, which could be the reason I've not had trouble with RF. I'll check them and make sure I'm not just spouting hot air. Cables are mainly Van Damme so they may be using them as a general practice.
Maybe the environments you record in are not troubled with RF anyway...and the EMC connectors are just an extra layer of protection that isn't necessarily required ? A bit like every possible form of soap or hand cleaner or kitchen wipe cloth or air-freshener spray for sale these days must contain an anti-bacterial agent...just, because....
Old 17th July 2018
Gear Guru

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
You mean THIS at only £1,600.00.

Old 17th July 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Maybe the environments you record in are not troubled with RF anyway...and the EMC connectors are just an extra layer of protection that isn't necessarily required ? A bit like every possible form of soap or hand cleaner or kitchen wipe cloth or air-freshener spray for sale these days must contain an anti-bacterial agent...just, because....
I'd have thought that the variety of places that I record in, often in city centres, sometimes in country churches, just a variety of places, that the RF is what others might be experiencing. It is strange though that I've only ever had RF problems on one occasion in 35 years, and that was when I was just starting out and used an unbalanced mixer in a RF saturated area.

I know that I've recorded in the centre of a triangle of hospital, police and fire services without the RF problems I anticipated. I've often thought of carrying the ferrite cores but haven't got around to it yet. Maybe I should, as every little helps.

I'm hoping that just writing about this does not mean that my next job will be problematic!!

Last edited by Geoff Poulton; 21st July 2018 at 12:19 AM.. Reason: Grammar
Old 17th July 2018
Lives for gear

I was supplying a powered loudspeaker for the US premiere of a modern organ piece (which included a "processed" track) at a large Nashville church, and decided to record the concert (with the organist's permission). Soundcheck went well, and then, at "go" time (5 min out) everything went to doo-doo. Horrid noise, emanating from the (new to me) AT4050 I was using as "S" in a MS setup. I lost the first half of the concert (harp... same performer) and, since the "M" element (a DPA4061) was "clean", I quickly pulled out a second 4061 and a 1m rod and recorded the second half (organ) AB. All was well.

Came to find out that the church belfry (less than 100' away) houses a cell tower. I do not know why between rehearsal/setup and (45 minutes later) downbeat the 4050 suddenly became a noise magnet... but it happened. Connectors had nothing to do with it, to my knowledge, as the cable was moved from the 4050 to the 4061. Ahhh... gremlins.

Still scratching my head.

HB
Old 17th July 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbphotoav View Post
Came to find out that the church belfry (less than 100' away) houses a cell tower. I do not know why between rehearsal/setup and (45 minutes later) downbeat the 4050 suddenly became a noise magnet... but it happened. Connectors had nothing to do with it, to my knowledge, as the cable was moved from the 4050 to the 4061. Ahhh... gremlins.

Still scratching my head.

HB
Certainly not a case of surrounding the belfry in chicken mesh to make a Faraday cage either...some days the bear just eats you !
Old 17th July 2018
Lives for gear

Yeah. That stuff 'll getcha sometimes. But mostly in a lot of years of sound recording, I have had pretty good luck with RF problems. Good cables, with good shielding, balanced electronics, good AC grounds, and good "practices." go miles to making EMI a non-issue.

But I've had those days, and like said above, for no apparent reason. Part of being an experienced recordist is knowing that it happens sometimes and then have the calm and the knowledge to work your way around the problems. And then, there are those days where nothing works and you just take it directly on the chin. There are those days too, alas.

D.
Old 18th July 2018
Lives for gear
God moves in mysterious ways
This weekend recording a trio concert enhanced with electronics and many wires
Sound reinforcement via Genelecs, clean feed from their Motu devices
My MKH 80/30 array on a C stand and boom sandbagged
All going well, direct feed of electronics and room sound well integrated
Composer stands up to provide a preface to his work and manages to knock C stand and flip the array over, thus reversing the stereo field
I shout Stop and rush in to realign my mikes, on the way out the mass of wiring and cramped nature of the floor cause me to bump the stand and again flip it
Much laughter.....
Good recording though
Roger
Old 18th July 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo 46 View Post
I shout Stop and rush in to realign my mikes, on the way out the mass of wiring and cramped nature of the floor cause me to bump the stand and again flip it
Much laughter.....
Good recording though
Roger
Lol ...if nothing hits the floor (or doesn't sustain damage, if it did), then it's a Good Day !
Old 18th July 2018
Lives for gear

And on with the show!

D.
Old 18th July 2018
Lives for gear

Aww who fixed the thread title?

Seeing that used to be my daily giggle.

-Mike
Old 18th July 2018
The original Rode NT-2's design had Wima .022 uf film caps across the outputs to filter rf. Peter Freedman then told me they had rf pickup issues in Canada. It turned out to be the capacitor leads that were rectifying the rf. Those were pulled off the assembly line and replaced with surface mount mono ceramic caps soldered across the pcb pads. If you have mics with that issue, look to that as a fix.
Old 18th July 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticrogues View Post
Aww who fixed the thread title?

Seeing that used to be my daily giggle.

-Mike
It got to be a bit tiring....just like the wait for the products themselves has become
Old 18th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
It got to be a bit tiring....just like the wait for the products themselves has become
HA!

Very punny today...

-MIke
Old 31st July 2018
Gear Maniac

I am to record violin and piano shortly in close proximity to one of the main radio station masts in the UK. Having recorded in this particular place a long time ago in a thunder storm with some unbalanced equipment involved, I am anticipating................that's all I'm saying, I'm anticipating.................

Happy days, unbalanced gear on location. A quick learning curve at the time, circa 1980.

I mentioned earlier that I've only had RF interference on one occasion, but now I'm remembering the memorable recording in this place during the thunder storm. The air was charged with electricity, although the thunder claps were not a problem as I recall. That was a recording of brass ensemble and choir.

I will recce the venue with some gear and see what I get before taking everything down there to record.

What fun!

Last edited by Geoff Poulton; 31st July 2018 at 11:26 PM.. Reason: Smelling mystaek
Old 31st July 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Poulton View Post
I am to record violin and piano shortly in close proximity to one of the main radio station masts in the UK. Having recorded in this particular place a long time ago in a thunder storm with some unbalanced equipment involved, I am anticipating................that's all I'm saying, I'm anticipating.................

Happy days, unbalanced gear on location. A quick learning curve at the time, circa 1980.

I mentioned earlier that I've only had RF intereference on one occasion, but now I'm remembering the memorable recording in this place during the thunder storm. The air was charge with electric, although the thunder claps were not a problem as I recall. That was a recording of brass ensemble and choir.

I will recki the venue with some gear and see what I get before taking everything down there to record.

What fun!
Hopefully the weather is on your side this time...if not, stand well away from the building's lighting rod conductor ! If you're going to recce beforehand, take a typical cable, a typical mic and try to plug the recorder into a mains socket somewhere in the building you'll record in.

Make a 2 minute recording with the mic gain turned up high. If you hear any hash or RF birdies then at the least get yourself some star-quad mic cable for the main runs to the recorder.

There's likely to be a lot more RF around now than in 1980...hopefully your recording gear has also kept apace with screening it out (via good engineering design ) !

Do you float the shield/screen on your XLR cables at one end...or are all 3 pins connected both ends ? Maybe take a cable of each type with you...and if you experience noise, make a quick swap and re-test. Don't try unbalanced in this particular place...unless you plan to sell the recordings to the BBC Radiophonic Workshop for the next series of Dr Who
Old 31st July 2018
Gear Maniac

Thanks for these kind thoughts, and valuable bits of info - I will return to this page!!

I have star-quad, so I think that will certainly be the thing I'll reach for first.

The recording will either be on a Sadie LRX or on Sound Devices 702, or maybe both.

I have to say, the weather and the RF was spectacular - I just sat there listening to the radio broadcast!

I have an excess of mains suppressors at varying frequencies, which always makes me feel comfortable.

Last edited by Geoff Poulton; 31st July 2018 at 11:25 PM.. Reason: Excess of words!
Old 1st August 2018
Gear Addict

So...getting back on track here...

Anyone hear anything new about the TFM50 or the NT49 or the new NT5s?
Old 1st August 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
So...getting back on track here...

Anyone hear anything new about the TFM50 or the NT49 or the new NT5s?
Unfortunately, apart from 'ready in waiting ether-ads' like this one: https://www.magpiemusic.com.au/rode-...ve-microphone/

...nothing. There's a suggestion it was announced/unveiled at NAMM 2017...did anyone see it there ?

Some pictures here; Rode announce six new mics, Soundfield video mic |

Wikipedia has this entry: RØDEShow 2017 also announced a suite of new products to be released through the year. These include: studio valve condenser microphones TFM50 (produced in collaboration with Grammy Award-winning classical music producer Tony Faulkner, to be used in concert hall applications), NT49 and NT-RV, and a new version of the NT5 pencil condenser microphone (featuring a patented gasket-less capsule).

It adds nothing new to what we already know......and this interview gives some helpful background on the genesis of the new mics by TF himself: Stereo Masterclass

Last edited by studer58; 1st August 2018 at 09:27 AM..
Old 1st August 2018
Lives for gear

I gather that they're taking time to refine quality control on the mass production version of the TFM50, hence the delay.
Old 1st August 2018
Gear Guru

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsound View Post
I gather that they're taking time to refine quality control on the mass production version of the TFM50, hence the delay.
I was speaking to Tony quite recently and this (above) is basically what he said.

They made the pre-production samples OK, but need to get the consistency in quality on the production run before they really "press the button".
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search