The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tony Faulkner tries out some new Rode prototypes Condenser Microphones
Old 13th April 2018
Lives for gear

Above comments are dangerously close to those by THE LISTENER.

It is never a good day to intimate that TonyF has any hearing deficiencies.
Old 13th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred2bern View Post
To me it looks more like a mode effect, trying to sell microphones "sounding better than the original one" because TF modes it and Rode produce it...
If you take the effort to seek out several TF interview videos which have been linked to in this forum, you will see he has always praised and used the M50 originals from Neumann...especially for their extended and big LF capture, which he claims no other modern mic can replicate.

At the same time, he regrets and dislikes the maintenance of this microphone, the heavy power supplies, the difficulty in sourcing valves.... and the connectors, which are apparently somewhat unreliable. It must be a bit like owning a classic sports car....great performance and exciting to drive, but the effort to maintain and keep it running....not so much fun.

So TF is a realist about the strengths and the weaknesses of the M50...and his input into the Rode redesign seems to be to retain the best features....and bring it into the 21st C with Rode-like reliability and consistency of manufacture. Nothing cynical about that to my eyes ?
Old 13th April 2018
Lives for gear

Up to Rode now it seems.

D.
Old 13th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
Oh God! I sure hope the TFM50 sounds better than the Classic

D.
The Rode Classic mic used good stuff, Wima FKP-2 film caps, Roederstein film resistors, a 5 star selected GE6072A tube and a Jensen output transformer. The design is a knock-off of the AKG C-12. I did help with that design after the NT-2.

Unfortunately, the capsule is the familiar 32 mm Chinese special with the 9k hz spike. Put a Tim Campbell C-12 capsule in the Classic and then you have a winner.
Old 14th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
If you take the effort to seek out several TF interview videos which have been linked to in this forum, you will see he has always praised and used the M50 originals from Neumann...especially for their extended and big LF capture, which he claims no other modern mic can replicate.

At the same time, he regrets and dislikes the maintenance of this microphone, the heavy power supplies, the difficulty in sourcing valves.... and the connectors, which are apparently somewhat unreliable. It must be a bit like owning a classic sports car....great performance and exciting to drive, but the effort to maintain and keep it running....not so much fun.

So TF is a realist about the strengths and the weaknesses of the M50...and his input into the Rode redesign seems to be to retain the best features....and bring it into the 21st C with Rode-like reliability and consistency of manufacture. Nothing cynical about that to my eyes ?
Hmm... that almost sounds like a comparison between Doug's sports car and my Miata!
Old 14th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMetzinger View Post
Hmm... that almost sounds like a comparison between Doug's sports car and my Miata!
Haha! Both good though. The little guy is running really well and about to get a complete new front end which will make it handle much more like a Miata and much less like a 1960's British pram.

D.
Old 14th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred2bern View Post

Nothing against TF, but when I look to my CDs I don't have so many produced by him.
You clearly have a bad collection. Or, at least, an incomplete one. Tony Faulkner recorded more albums than most of the people on this forum combined.

He used to have his huge discography on the greenroom productions site, but it might be offline by now?

Dirk
Old 14th April 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtf View Post
You clearly have a bad collection. Or, at least, an incomplete one. Tony Faulkner recorded more albums than most of the people on this forum combined.

He used to have his huge discography on the greenroom productions site, but it might be offline by now?

Dirk
Not sure if this is complete or not. But there's certainly alot of it there:

Tony Faulkner Discography at Discogs
Old 14th April 2018
Lives for gear

His website is still up and current at Green Room Productions
There is not a complete discography there, but as JC Bigler points out, there are 600+ recordings listed on discogs.com. An amazing career.
Old 14th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtf View Post

Dirk
Tony is an Engineer - not a Producer which may be why you are having difficulty finding his huge list of credits.
Old 28th April 2018
Lives for gear

Wonder if the TFM50 is the only thing TF "tires out" ...

A while back I noted that some NT5/55 products were mentioning an upgraded cardioid capsule. Not much detail has been forthcoming (or new capsules) ...

Turn now to the new Soundfield NT-SF1 just launched at NAB. Note that the announcement included the new improved TF45C capsules ... Not another contribution from our friend??

In terms of improvements, I have been quite happy with the NT45 capsule upgrade supplied by Michael Joly (MJE-384). Wonder if the 'improved' NT45s are as good. Has TF made the new cardioids comparable in quality to the NT45O omnis (of which he is a user)? Watch this space!

ps. Note the rear port design on the TF45Cs - maybe to produce a least 'resonant' design. What you can do with in-house state of the art CNC tools ...

Last edited by panatrope; 28th April 2018 at 12:07 PM.. Reason: extra comment
Old 4 weeks ago
An update, sort of.. I was at Gearfest today, talking to Rode and considering buying a pair of NT5s since there's a Gearfest deal going, but "I don't want to buy a pair and then have the new TF stuff start shipping in a few months". Rode guy said waiting was a good idea.

What I think I heard was that some of the new things will start shipping in July with the rest of the announced stuff by December.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

July is only a few weeks away
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
The Rode Classic mic used good stuff, Wima FKP-2 film caps, Roederstein film resistors, a 5 star selected GE6072A tube and a Jensen output transformer. The design is a knock-off of the AKG C-12. I did help with that design after the NT-2.

Unfortunately, the capsule is the familiar 32 mm Chinese special with the 9k hz spike. Put a Tim Campbell C-12 capsule in the Classic and then you have a winner.
Wow, thanks Jim! I have a pair of the original Classic Valves from the first run with the best of the selected 6072 tubes. I believe I'll pursue this. I've been using windscreens on them to help with the shrillness.

Still love all those AKG C-460 mics you modded for me - those and my Schoeps mics are just about all I use for the classical stuff.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I don't buy any "news" unless it is from headquarters. Certainly not from USA rep firm.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
I don't buy any "news" unless it is from headquarters. Certainly not from USA rep firm.
Well, it's a good thing that this news is free then. And, waiting doesn't cost you anything.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Above comments are dangerously close to those by THE LISTENER.

It is never a good day to intimate that TonyF has any hearing deficiencies.
Interesting....

I was talking with Tony last night where he was giving a talk to the Institute of Professional Sound in London.

He was asked, among other things, what his favourite monitors are.

His reply was "Quad electrostatics" as you can hear very clearly at levels lower than most people monitor at. So his hearing is still good as he monitors at levels that don't damage his hearing.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quad electrosats are also effectively dipole radiators (imagine a fig 8 mic as a speaker) so they have virtually no spl output to ceiling, floor or sidewalls...just a rear lobe which you can either damp with absorbers behind the speaker, or adjust/tune by experimenting with distance from the rear wall.

Very narrow HF dispersion too..they are effectively a "1 person sweetspot monitor" I believe other electrostats (Martin Logan ?) get around this by curving the mylar mebrane, to accomplish a bit wider dispersion
Old 3 weeks ago
Modern Martin Logans are not only curved but use traditional cone woofers below as a sub. They are top rated for ES speakers and will run more than $20,000 per pair. ML also makes some very nice small monitors using AMT type tweeters.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quad electrostatics. Really.

Remember these?

Mark Levinsion HQD speakers:

Mark Levinson HQD loudspeaker system | Stereophile.com

I must say, being the grey-haired old guy that I am, I really want to listen to a pair of LA3/5a like the current Harbeth P3ESR in my studio.

D.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quad electrosats are also effectively dipole radiators (imagine a fig 8 mic as a speaker) so they have virtually no spl output to ceiling, floor or sidewalls...just a rear lobe which you can either damp with absorbers behind the speaker, or adjust/tune by experimenting with distance from the rear wall.
So less coupling with the room especially at low frequency where many of the domestic and mastering studio monitoring problems manifest themselves.
LX521 Description

Dipole loudspeakers are the best I have ever heard. I can not go back to boxes ever again. Except perhaps these.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I have a pair of Maggie 1.5s for sale if someone wants to drop by and listen.

D.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
His reply was "Quad electrostatics" as you can hear very clearly at ors are.
levels lower than most people monitor at. So his hearing is still good as he monitors at levels that don't damage his hearing.
Only thing more revealing is 5.0 channel and much larger!
Attached Thumbnails
Tony Faulkner tries out some new Rode prototypes-img_9054.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by panatrope View Post
Wonder if the TFM50 is the only thing TF "tires out" ...

A while back I noted that some NT5/55 products were mentioning an upgraded cardioid capsule. Not much detail has been forthcoming (or new capsules) ...

I've been wondering about this, it seems like years ago that the imminent change was mentioned.

I asked Rode about it, but didn't get a response.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Poulton View Post
I've been wondering about this, it seems like years ago that the imminent change was mentioned.

I asked Rode about it, but didn't get a response.
The closest we seem to get is this video, which shows the new black NT5 omnis: Anima Eterna: Interview with Tony Faulkner on Vimeo

At 6:55 he demonstrates the new Neutrik connector they are attached to...which this old Luddite is not looking forward to ! Not all Rode partnerships are necessarily great ideas...but maybe they can convince otherwise ?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
the new Neutrik connector they are attached to...which this old Luddite is not looking forward to !
You are not a Luddite. That's a stupid idea.

D.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

We'll all need adapters to get us from xlr to that new connector!

Or reserve special cables just for that mic. Imagine that on location when there is a load of gear to set up against the clock.

I must say I haven't had any RF problems to date, even when recording between the local hospital and police station. I seem to recall the firestation was close by too. I have to say, I don't want any either!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

And just to reiterate, Neutrik makes a really efficient XLR connector specifically for shielding against EMI.

NC3MXX-EMC - Neutrik

Personal experience says it works well.

D.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
You are not a Luddite. That's a stupid idea.

D.
Thanks Doug (and Geoff)...I had an idea I wouldn't be alone on this ! Replacing an established connector like the XLR isn't something to be taken on lightly...and the innards look like a Dante or LAN cable connector. I can't say I've noticed an increase in RF/cellphone interference either...although I'm sure the 'field strength density' is increasing daily.

Aren't Neutrik's EMC connectors are supposed to work against such pollution already ? Looks to me like a solution to a non-existent problem, searching to create itself a new market niche. I wonder if it's destined to become Neutrik's 'white elephant product of 2019' ?

I can envisage the ads already...on Rode's website: "XLR to Neutrik adapter tails (0.25 metre) $19.99 each
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Neutrik living up to its name - another "new trick"? It certain moved past the original "Cannon" connector.

The key question is, "what is the problem this new design is solving?". Interesting that Røde, which has an aggressive approach to innovation, is prepared to take on the risk of using it - I assume the answer offered by Neutrik to the above question must have interested them. Now users have to take it on and answer the above question themselves in their terms.

As risk management, are Røde prepared to produce the new mics in two versions - the traditional XLR version and the new version (perhaps packaged with a usable length of mic cable terminated new/XLR), and let the market decide? Many decades ago there was the same problem when the Tuchel connector was preferred in some corners of the world, and there are some who still lament its passing.

What I am more interested in is the fact that when asked some time ago about upgrading the existing NT45O, TF indicated that, compared to the NT45C, he considered that omni rather better than its cardioid counterpart and not so much in need of an upgrade. Now we appear to have a clean sweep in "the new black" ... and wonder how it will deliver on the paradigm of continuous improvement.

Over to the Røde marketing department ...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search