The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tony Faulkner tires out some new Rode prototypes Condenser Microphones
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Above comments are dangerously close to those by THE LISTENER.

It is never a good day to intimate that TonyF has any hearing deficiencies.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred2bern View Post
To me it looks more like a mode effect, trying to sell microphones "sounding better than the original one" because TF modes it and Rode produce it...
If you take the effort to seek out several TF interview videos which have been linked to in this forum, you will see he has always praised and used the M50 originals from Neumann...especially for their extended and big LF capture, which he claims no other modern mic can replicate.

At the same time, he regrets and dislikes the maintenance of this microphone, the heavy power supplies, the difficulty in sourcing valves.... and the connectors, which are apparently somewhat unreliable. It must be a bit like owning a classic sports car....great performance and exciting to drive, but the effort to maintain and keep it running....not so much fun.

So TF is a realist about the strengths and the weaknesses of the M50...and his input into the Rode redesign seems to be to retain the best features....and bring it into the 21st C with Rode-like reliability and consistency of manufacture. Nothing cynical about that to my eyes ?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Up to Rode now it seems.

D.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
Oh God! I sure hope the TFM50 sounds better than the Classic

D.
The Rode Classic mic used good stuff, Wima FKP-2 film caps, Roederstein film resistors, a 5 star selected GE6072A tube and a Jensen output transformer. The design is a knock-off of the AKG C-12. I did help with that design after the NT-2.

Unfortunately, the capsule is the familiar 32 mm Chinese special with the 9k hz spike. Put a Tim Campbell C-12 capsule in the Classic and then you have a winner.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
If you take the effort to seek out several TF interview videos which have been linked to in this forum, you will see he has always praised and used the M50 originals from Neumann...especially for their extended and big LF capture, which he claims no other modern mic can replicate.

At the same time, he regrets and dislikes the maintenance of this microphone, the heavy power supplies, the difficulty in sourcing valves.... and the connectors, which are apparently somewhat unreliable. It must be a bit like owning a classic sports car....great performance and exciting to drive, but the effort to maintain and keep it running....not so much fun.

So TF is a realist about the strengths and the weaknesses of the M50...and his input into the Rode redesign seems to be to retain the best features....and bring it into the 21st C with Rode-like reliability and consistency of manufacture. Nothing cynical about that to my eyes ?
Hmm... that almost sounds like a comparison between Doug's sports car and my Miata!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMetzinger View Post
Hmm... that almost sounds like a comparison between Doug's sports car and my Miata!
Haha! Both good though. The little guy is running really well and about to get a complete new front end which will make it handle much more like a Miata and much less like a 1960's British pram.

D.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred2bern View Post

Nothing against TF, but when I look to my CDs I don't have so many produced by him.
You clearly have a bad collection. Or, at least, an incomplete one. Tony Faulkner recorded more albums than most of the people on this forum combined.

He used to have his huge discography on the greenroom productions site, but it might be offline by now?

Dirk
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtf View Post
You clearly have a bad collection. Or, at least, an incomplete one. Tony Faulkner recorded more albums than most of the people on this forum combined.

He used to have his huge discography on the greenroom productions site, but it might be offline by now?

Dirk
Not sure if this is complete or not. But there's certainly alot of it there:

Tony Faulkner Discography at Discogs
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

His website is still up and current at Green Room Productions
There is not a complete discography there, but as JC Bigler points out, there are 600+ recordings listed on discogs.com. An amazing career.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtf View Post

Dirk
Tony is an Engineer - not a Producer which may be why you are having difficulty finding his huge list of credits.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search