The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , , ,

Billy Joel @ the SuperBowl: Autotune gone awry?
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

Talking Billy Joel @ the SuperBowl: Autotune gone awry?

Just saw Billy Joel singing the National Anthem at the Superbowl. That was one of them there autotune boxes gone awry wasn't it? Or, did he have his voicebox replaced with a speak and spell recently.

Sad. No matter how bad his voice may have degraded over the years, I think it still would have sounded better straight.
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

Billy Joel is an ass and being from the same area as him, I'm still tired of hearing about him after all these years or being off Long Island
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

I missed it. I would love to hear it. Let me see if I can find a link. heh
Old 5th February 2007
Lou Judson
You supposed audio folk still watch football? That's the one with the pointy ball, not the one with the stick, right?
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Judson View Post
You supposed audio folk still watch football? That's the one with the pointy ball, not the one with the stick, right?
Ehm? The other form of sports named football (in 90% of the world with North America as a lonely exception heh ) is 'soccer'. You know, the one with the ROUND ball

It's football, anyway, fuuck "soccer"
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Maniac

That was just plain ridiculous! Crazy crazy autotune madness, live on the Superbowl! Oh Billy Billy Billy...

--> freddie
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear
I totaly heard the same thing. I was thinking am I going mad or is this completly f'ed up. Arthur

www.dmsstudio.com
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

I didn't guess haywire AT, but it did sound really odd.

It sounded like he was trying to "get creative" with some of the melodies and got a little lost in places.

Billy's had his issues with drugs and alcohol over the years and it takes a toll on the pipes.

The real question is: What the hell was Prince thinking trying to cover the Foo Fighters?? Dude is no Dave Grohl, that's for sure.
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Maniac

As I was listening to it, I knew this thread would be here next time I checked....
ha ha

It sounded to me like that Antares box... not gone awry, but set to a pretty harsh setting (fast tuning time, etc) with some bad notes being thrown in there.

Ouch.
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Nut

I thought it sounded like crap! who ever was at them helm with the autotune must have had it set for the wrong key. Also had it too strict, needed to relax it some. I'm shocked Billy would even try to use that live. sounded like a vocoder. his pipes couldnt so bad that he needed that crutch.
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

I can't believe it's not on the internet yet.
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

Being a huge Billy Joel fan, I find that really sad. I didn't hear it, but I'm confused at why they would need AutoTune for anyone to sing the national anthem. It's disrespectful, for one. Plus, Billy Joel doesn't NEED AutoTune. He made records back when talent was actually a requirement.

I'm so disgusted right now.
-Aaron
Old 5th February 2007
Deleted User
I heard exactly the same thing and was shocked and amazed and delighted and saddened and a few other emotions I can't recall now...

Billy ain't THAT bad a singer, so I can only imagine that maybe auto-tune was there as a 'safety net' if his monitoring was bad and he couldn't hear himself well enough... But it totally backfired, and instead he sounded like a drunk robot - and I don't mean that in a good 'funny drunken robot' way.

Youch. To quote the piano man,

"I liked you just the way you aaaAAAaaaAAArrRRRaaRRReee..."

Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

I wasn't listening that close because I was eating dinner while he was singing but I did hear a few parts that made me think "he's really gone down hill".
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Addict

that just billy joel sucked. prince tore it up.

on a similar bad note, anybody see how shania twain playing acoustic was autotuned live a few weeks back on the kennedy center honors? more sucko.
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Maniac

His first note was pretty flat...so if Autotune was in effect it certainly missed it. So, I would say, NO....no autotune.

Prince...man, that cat is insane. Anybody know what amp he plays through??
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Addict

There was a part where Prince was walking towards the camera and a part of his guitar riff was playing... but his hands were away from the guitar. Also, when he turns around to go back up he isn't singing but the vocals are still blasting away.

Also... autotune was the first thing I thought when I heard Billy Joel... it sounded off key.
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

You guys are all nuts!!

Do you really think Billy Joel needs auto-tune to sing the National Anthem???

Please....... he looks a bit older, but this isnt freakin Jordan from Newfound glory singing here!!
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Addict

it was autotune. no question. look for it on youtube. the prince stuff is already up.
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by (DC) View Post
There was a part where Prince was walking towards the camera and a part of his guitar riff was playing... but his hands were away from the guitar. Also, when he turns around to go back up he isn't singing but the vocals are still blasting away.

Also... autotune was the first thing I thought when I heard Billy Joel... it sounded off key.
You should ask Prince, what million dollar place he would suggest you to buy!

hehehehe
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoustic Cloud View Post
You guys are all nuts!!
No, but AT was inserted somewhere in the chain, that's for sure.

ruudman
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtucker View Post
His first note was pretty flat...so if Autotune was in effect it certainly missed it. So, I would say, NO....no autotune.
Now that I hear it, I agree he's definitely off key. Kinda hard to detect the Autotune "effect" in the fairly compressed Youtube Audio.
Old 5th February 2007
It almost sounds like it's being switched in and out....some of the held notes are DEFINITELY tuned - badly - you can hear the little glitch as it flickers briefly up to the next note.

And yet even some of the longer notes are well out of tune, and some of the held notes are in yet don't have that roboticness...so god knows who set it up. I'd have hate to have heard those high notes without it though...

PS (DC) - great penalty yesterday, even if the dive was a bit suspect (sorry, only brit/euro football fans are going to get that...)
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
PS (DC) - great penalty yesterday, even if the dive was a bit suspect (sorry, only brit/euro football fans are going to get that...)
You mean Ronaldo's dive (Man U vs Tottenham)?

ruudman
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtucker View Post
Haven't seen the Youtube replay yet, but there was definitely autotuning going on.. I heard that first note flat too, which I attribute to the idea of "see how it's going before you kick it in"

And it got kicked in.

Nasty

-dave
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Addict

Here it is...and it's DEFINITELY pitch corrected in a severe way, could be set in & out by the engineer, dunno
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoustic Cloud View Post
You guys are all nuts!!

um, obviously he does.
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

Yikes! I didn't hear that when I saw it on TV yesterday. That is really bad.
Old 5th February 2007
Gear Addict

You guys all assume it was autotune.
It could have been any of the other pitch correction tools. Maybe they cheaped out and used waves tune 'light'...
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

Wow! He was obviously tuned. That's really sad, and lame at the same time. I expect tuning with someone like myself because I'm not a talented singer, but Billy Joel?!?!? WTF? lol
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search