The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags:

Tascam DA6400 Audio Interfaces
Old 13th February 2016
Here for the gear
Tascam DA6400

Has anyone used this machine yet?

Product: DA-6400 | TASCAM

Looks intriguing, Particularly like the Dual Power Supply option and ability for MADI and Dante Cards
Old 13th February 2016
For a few hundred dollars more, Sound Devices 970 got MADI coax, optical, Dante, Analog 8 channel in/out, AES digital 8 channels in/out, dual DC power (excellent for remote works).
http://www.sounddevices.com/products/recorders/970
I went for a Video Devices PIX-270 which cost only $1,000 more than 970 with additional HD SDI/HDMI video recording.
http://www.videodevices.com/products...orders/pix270i
Old 13th February 2016
Lives for gear

And then there is the terrific support you get from SD.
Old 13th February 2016
Here for the gear
The SD device is nearly £2,000 more here in the UK, Hence my interest in the Tascam unit
Old 16th February 2016
LX3
Lives for gear

I might be getting one in the near future, so if I do I'll let you know how it is. Or (if I do) you're welcome to come out on a gig with me and check it out.

I'm also tempted by the Sound Devices, but as you point out there's the extra cost, and the half-rack size and external PSU aren't as convenient for me.

(Until the day comes when I need to run it off a battery I suppose...)
Old 17th February 2016
Looks like DA6400 is kind of expensive in US? Tascam started HS-P82 at $4,999 and now it is $2,399. If HS-P82 started at this price, it could be a winner.
Old 30th March 2016
Gear Nut

I would hope this thing has a direct out mode, or at least a means to load the audio/track data into a computer DAW like MOTU Audio Desk 4.0. In any case, I would only want an 8 track version with AES and MADI. I could then use it as a field recorder and transfer audio to/from my MOTU 112D. I was hoping MOTU would come up with something like this.
Old 12th April 2016
Lives for gear

I like that this unit can be loaded with 32 channels of AES in / out. This is done with available AES format cards plugged in to the back of the box.

Higher track count than the regular garden variety 8-banger is welcome.
Old 12th April 2016
Lives for gear

This looked like a great box until I saw two things.
1. The cost. The empty recorder's cost isn't horrible. Once you add the cards to get signal in, not so much. I'd rather spend the extra few bucks for the Sound Devices recorder.

2. The company. I've owned much Tascam gear, but since they were purchased by Gibson, the quality and service has gone *way* down. Their booth at NAMM this year was an embarrassment. Nobody could answer questions about features and few had prices. If the company doesn't care enough to put people with a brain at a major convention, what will happen when something goes wrong or breaks?

That type of coin means I need to think twice and if they don't provide the service, I don't want to deal with them.

--Ben
Old 2 weeks ago
I own the DA-6400, and I chose it over the Sound Devices 970 for two reasons:

- It's a 1U rack mount (fits better into my mobile rack)

- The SD 970 can't record 96kHz via Dante

All my recordings are done at 96 kHz, and I use a Dante interface so unfortunately that was a dealbreaker.

My main gripe with the DA-6400 is that you can't monitor more than 2 channels at once (there's no internal mixer); I see how this could greatly complicate the programming and this is supposed to be a rock-solid backup, but it makes it very hard to monitor multi-track recordings without an additional interface. My second gripe is that you can't overdub, or play back an audio track as you record. So just note that this device will not replace your audio interface.

I've sent Tascam a few support requests through their form (just getting some questions answered), and while the response hasn't been timely they did answer my questions. I've actually just sent them another question to see if I can route audio from the DA-6400 to my laptop via Dante, in which case it could approximate an interface of sorts. I'll post an update once I hear back.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I own the DA-6400, and I chose it over the Sound Devices 970 for two reasons:

- It's a 1U rack mount (fits better into my mobile rack)

- The SD 970 can't record 96kHz via Dante

All my recordings are done at 96 kHz, and I use a Dante interface so unfortunately that was a dealbreaker.

My main gripe with the DA-6400 is that you can't monitor more than 2 channels at once (there's no internal mixer); I see how this could greatly complicate the programming and this is supposed to be a rock-solid backup, but it makes it very hard to monitor multi-track recordings without an additional interface. My second gripe is that you can't overdub, or play back an audio track as you record. So just note that this device will not replace your audio interface.

I've sent Tascam a few support requests through their form (just getting some questions answered), and while the response hasn't been timely they did answer my questions. I've actually just sent them another question to see if I can route audio from the DA-6400 to my laptop via Dante, in which case it could approximate an interface of sorts. I'll post an update once I hear back.
I mean, can you overdub with the Sound Devices or JoeCo recorders also?

I think we need to understand the distinctions between these dedicated recorders and a full fledged DAW. These units are great as bit buckets and back up solutions. But when you need to edit and overdub, then you need a DAW.

For nearly the same price as a pair of the JoeCo, Tascam and SD recorders, you can buy two sets of Focusrite Red 4Pre, HD32R, and record to Protools Ultimate/HD Native from a Dante network and get 64 channels at 96k, and have full playback, editing, and overdubbing capability.

ETA: Actually, you can buy used RedNet 5s for about $500 each. Two fo them will give you 64 channels at 96k from a Dante network, assuming the network already has mic preamps on it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

If I need to overdub I use a DAW. But most of the live recording I do doesn't need overdubbing on-site, so I prefer the stability of dedicated recorders. 6400 looks real good.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
If what they say about Monterey Pop 2017 here is correct, it seems to have been very plug-in and run, with a prayer or two to cover for their lack of prep time ! TASCAM Captures Audio for Monterey Pop's 50th Anniversary | News Details | TASCAM

For the intended purpose, it seems to have been the ideal recorder
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

From the article:
Quote:
"Dante was amazing," Baccigaluppi insists. "I wasn't sure about all that data coming through one Ethernet cable but it worked!"
So..this guy is a professional recordist, and he's been living under a rock for the last 10 years?

What's the street cost for the DA6400 now? It's about a grand more than the JoeCo Dante recorder once you include the optional Dante card for the Tascam. Although you do get redundant network capability with the Tascam Dante expansion card.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
From the article:

So..this guy is a professional recordist, and he's been living under a rock for the last 10 years? .
You would be surprised how small the market penetration of Dante was even two years ago.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post
If I need to overdub I use a DAW. But most of the live recording I do doesn't need overdubbing on-site, so I prefer the stability of dedicated recorders. 6400 looks real good.
Agreed; the majority of my recordings are of concerts and live sessions, and overdubbing is best handled by a DAW. My main gripe is that there's no internal mixer; that does have an impact on live recordings, as you're only able to audition one mono or stereo channel at once, and not see how the channels interact with each other in the mix. Not so much of an issue for orchestral and choral work, but limiting for rock/pop concerts and sessions where you've got a ton of isolated channels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
From the article:
What's the street cost for the DA6400 now? It's about a grand more than the JoeCo Dante recorder once you include the optional Dante card for the Tascam. Although you do get redundant network capability with the Tascam Dante expansion card.
I got my 6400 for $3,700 new, but I got a free option card included in the rebate offer. Tascam has offered that rebate several times so keep an eye out if you're in the market; it's not every day you can save $1,000 on a rebate and that offer made it a much more attractive competitor to the SD 970.
Old 1 week ago
Also, an update on my previous post; it looks like you can route audio from the DA-6400 to your computer via Dante, as per the manual addendum (page 33). So you could take the audio entering your DA-6400, route it to the outputs of the Dante card, and plug it directly into your laptop using the Dante virtual sound card, in effect making it a very basic interface. That could be a help if you're looking to record directly into your DAW and use the DA-6400 as a backup rather than primary recorder; it could also save you having to bring a dedicated interface to the recording. But if you're looking to overdub, you'd still be much better off with an interface for workflow/monitoring reasons.

Another thing to consider is that this makes the DA-6400 a digital format converter for 64ch (1fs) of AES, MADI, or Dante. You could also use it as a splitter of sorts with the AN16 analog out card.

Last edited by [email protected]; 1 week ago at 08:21 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

If you are going Dante or Madi, I'd suggest a comparison look at the JoeCo BBR64-Dante (Madi). Made in the UK so the price should be right.

I have nothing but good things to say about mine and I am saving my pennies to buy another as a backup recorder so I never need to use a laptop as an audio recorder again. Nothing but fear confirmed by nightmares.

D.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The only thing the DA 6400 has on the JoeCo is the redundant Dante port, which, depending on your work flow and needs can be a huge plus.

JoeCo needs to release a version 2 of the BBR64-Dante with a second Ethernet port for redundant Dante networks.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search