The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
small monitors Studio Monitors
Old 10th February 2016
  #1
Gear Addict
 
THE_NIK's Avatar
 

small monitors

Hey i was thinking about buying a set of mini monitors for location recording. i am currently using yamaha hs50's which are fairly small but was wondering what are other good option for smaller speakers Aventone mix cubes are about 1/2 the weight and size. are there other good option that sound fairly flat.
Old 10th February 2016
  #2
Gear Maniac
 
DaveyJones's Avatar
 

Genelec 8010 must be on the list for consideration!

I've never used them but I'm thinking of grabbing a pair for the same reason as you!

Dave
Old 11th February 2016
  #3
Lives for gear
I'm also using the HS50's (love them) thinking of adding the KRK VXT-4's. Anyone used these?
Old 11th February 2016
  #4
Gear Addict
 
OzGizmo's Avatar
 

I often use the Genelec 8010 and the Genelec 6??? and have the bottom end lacking, a sub speaker is needed for a good balance.
The KRK Rokits seem good, have some Rokit5's in and edit setup and they sound nice, the Rokit6 & 8 should be better than the 5.
The Genelec's are VERY solid and would handle a lot rougher treatment than the Rokits.
Old 11th February 2016
  #5
OAE
Here for the gear
+1 for the Gens
8010 or 8020 are very portable. You can also buy a nice carrying bag for them.
Old 11th February 2016
  #6
Gear Addict
 

Grover Notting CR1 or CR2 or CR11

Last edited by JackHenry; 11th February 2016 at 12:17 PM..
Old 11th February 2016
  #7
Lives for gear
 
rmx16's Avatar
 

CMS 50
Old 11th February 2016
  #8
Lives for gear
Can the Gene's be mounted horizontally?
Old 11th February 2016
  #9
For mini monitors I use the Dayton Audio B-652 AIR 6" two way systems with AMT tweeters. The ribbon tweeters go on past 25k hz, very flat and non-fatiguing. I feed them from a Adcom GFA 535 power amp that travels with them. I paid $44 for the pair on sale. I don't think you can beat that value.

Parts Express: the #1 source for audio, video & speaker building components

I should also mention that I added a very high end "InfiniCap" bypass cap across the tweeter's electrolytic crossover cap. That made all the difference and put these mini monitors into the high end catagory.

Last edited by Jim Williams; 16th February 2016 at 08:35 PM..
Old 12th February 2016
  #10
CMS 40s have worked pretty well for me. Even better after a Sonarworks calibration. It's a 15 minute process, so it's worth doing in any room.
Old 12th February 2016
  #11
You may want to read this review Dayton Audio B652 loudspeaker the B652-AIR | Stereophile.com about the 652 Air speakers

The only real problem I see (with the exception of not having much bass) is that they are made out of 1/2 MDF which probably means they are probably not good for lots of traveling.

Anyone used these? http://www.amazon.com/Fluance-SX6-BK...t_sims?ie=UTF8
Old 12th February 2016
  #12
Lives for gear
 
hbphotoav's Avatar
 

They're not small... but on Rich Mays' ("Sonare") recommendation years ago (and upon hearing them in situ... several different situs, in fact) I bought and use Tannoy Series 800A coax 8s. For smaller, which translate pretty well back home at the edit table, Equator D5s (also coax) are easily carried in a large-ish TamRac shoulder bag.

MMV. Works for me.

HB
Old 13th February 2016
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Don S's Avatar
 

No love for the K&H (neumann) 120?
Old 13th February 2016
  #14
Lives for gear
I love small monitors nearfield
Far field they need help from a sub, not so portable as HD 800.
Old 13th February 2016
  #15
Gear Guru
 
John Willett's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S View Post
No love for the K&H (neumann) 120?
They are small, rather than mini.

But at the price they are, IMHO, the best around.

For a mini monitor in that price bracket, then the Geithain MO-1 are the ones to look at - they are a genuine active 2-way monitor, even though they look like they only have a single driver.
Old 14th February 2016
  #16
Here for the gear
 

Really helpful thread! The Genelec 8010A's are very tempting. I have a pair of Rokit 6's but they'd be a bit big to cart around for monitoring in a mobile/location recording session.
Old 14th February 2016
  #17
Gear Head
I have a pair of the 8020s and they're great for remote monitoring, but they're not so good at translating a mix. But you will get a sense of what you're capturing.
Old 14th February 2016
  #18
Gear Addict
 
krevvy's Avatar
+1 for the 8010s
Old 14th February 2016
  #19
Gear Nut
 

Also try PSI A14-M Broadcast

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
For a mini monitor in that price bracket, then the Geithain MO-1 are the ones to look at - they are a genuine active 2-way monitor, even though they look like they only have a single driver.
If the Neumann KH120 and Geithain MO-1 are in an acceptable price bracket, I'd recommend comparing them (if you can) to the PSI A14-M.

The "Broadcast" version is a continuation of the original A14-M, itself a much-iterated refinement of a much-respected near-field and broadcasting monitor initially developed by Alain Roux for Studer, many years ago. In my radio days, the little Studer boxes (and later the PSI refinement) were used to replace the rather more fragile Klein+Hummel monitors from which the current KH120 and KH3xx now sold under the venerable "Neumann" label are derived.
(Although it is my understanding that present Neumann KH monitors are more reliable than Klein+Hummel of old used to be.)

Originally destined for mobile studio use, the compact but hefty A14-M has proven itself highly adaptable and well-nigh unbreakable. (I'm surprised to see an increasing number of young musicians taking the A14-M as their mobile stage monitors, a usage I would not have foreseen.)

Now I read that PSI recently started a "Studio" version of the A14-M, outwardly a more puristic offering, minus mounting bracket, protective grille, and level pot on the front. The innards look the same. I expect them to sound alike.
Old 15th February 2016
  #20
Gear Addict
 
THE_NIK's Avatar
 

hi thanks for all your input.. the Geithain MO-1 looks to be the job but out of my price bracket at the moment the PSI look to be twice the price of the Geithain's. i think ill wait and buy once rather than upgrading in a year or so. i have never liked any of the small genelec's. alot of the other are too big or not suitable for purposes. thanks again
Old 19th February 2016
  #21
Very happy with Focal CMS 50 powered monitors for remote work. They are easily put at ear level by putting them on the small "CD crates" you can buy at office supply stores. Note that these sound speakers much better with the metal grates removed. (I put 'em in for transport.) There's a phase ring that replaces the tweater grate and cleans the sound right up.

Prior to buying the Focals, I used Tannoy System 8's with a small switchmode amplifier. I really enjoyed the lake of phasiness of coaxial speakers, but they got to be too much of a hassle to move.

David L. Rick
Seventh String Recording
Old 19th February 2016
  #22
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rick View Post
Very happy with Focal CMS 50 powered monitors for remote work. They are easily put at ear level by putting them on the small "CD crates" you can buy at office supply stores. Note that these sound speakers much better with the metal grates removed. (I put 'em in for transport.) There's a phase ring that replaces the tweater grate and cleans the sound right up.

Prior to buying the Focals, I used Tannoy System 8's with a small switchmode amplifier. I really enjoyed the lake of phasiness of coaxial speakers, but they got to be too much of a hassle to move.

David L. Rick
Seventh String Recording
Hi David!

I like the CMS 40s a lot and once I started calibrating them with the Sonarworks software even more! It got rid of a lot of the boxiness.

And you are totally right about the metal grates. I was very disappointed with them until I took them off. Luckily, it's safe to transport them in the gig bag designed for them with the grilles off.
Old 19th February 2016
  #23
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinhurwitz View Post
...you are totally right about the metal grates. I was very disappointed with them until I took them off. Luckily, it's safe to transport them in the gig bag designed for them with the grilles off.
Hi Edwin! Is this some nice weather, or what? Really annoying to be stuck inside with a fractured clavicle, but it's given me an excuse to rewire my patch bay.

I didn't realize at first that the Focal's woofer grate was also removable. Not as dramatic a difference as swapping out the tweeter grate, but still an improvement.

David L. Rick
Seventh String Recording
Old 19th February 2016
  #24
Lives for gear
got my KRK VXT-4's today. I'll let you guys know how I like them...
Old 16th September 2016
  #25
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
For mini monitors I use the Dayton Audio B-652 AIR 6" two way systems with AMT tweeters. The ribbon tweeters go on past 25k hz, very flat and non-fatiguing. I feed them from a Adcom GFA 535 power amp that travels with them. I paid $44 for the pair on sale. I don't think you can beat that value.

Parts Express: the #1 source for audio, video & speaker building components

I should also mention that I added a very high end "InfiniCap" bypass cap across the tweeter's electrolytic crossover cap. That made all the difference and put these mini monitors into the high end catagory.
What value bypass cap did you use?
Old 1 week ago
  #26
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Madio View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
For mini monitors I use the Dayton Audio B-652 AIR 6" two way systems with AMT tweeters. The ribbon tweeters go on past 25k hz, very flat and non-fatiguing. I feed them from a Adcom GFA 535 power amp that travels with them. I paid $44 for the pair on sale. I don't think you can beat that value.

Parts Express: the #1 source for audio, video & speaker building components

I should also mention that I added a very high end "InfiniCap" bypass cap across the tweeter's electrolytic crossover cap. That made all the difference and put these mini monitors into the high end catagory.
What value bypass cap did you use?
I am also using B652-AIR's. I am finding I have a hole in my mixes. After reading this article, Dayton B652 AIR Review, I would love to know more about the cap you used. Thank you!
Old 1 week ago
  #27
Lives for gear
 
jnorman's Avatar
Neumann KH80 - awesome
Old 1 week ago
  #28
Here for the gear
 

I'd also put a nod in for the Neumann KH80, great reference, I use them for mostly dialogue and find them to have great detail.
Old 1 week ago
  #29
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalspark View Post
I'd also put a nod in for the Neumann KH80, great reference, I use them for mostly dialogue and find them to have great detail.
A question to KH80 users...at what point down at the bass end (or working with what sort of material/genres) do they start to run out of steam, or not give you reliable information..in other words, what factors might give you cause to opt for one or two of their (considerably more pricy) subs ?

Also...how do you become aware of this...is there an obvious lack of foundation to certain musics...or is the 'omission' more subtle and graceful than that ?
Old 1 week ago
  #30
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
A question to KH80 users...at what point down at the bass end (or working with what sort of material/genres) do they start to run out of steam, or not give you reliable information..in other words, what factors might give you cause to opt for one or two of their (considerably more pricy) subs ?

Also...how do you become aware of this...is there an obvious lack of foundation to certain musics...or is the 'omission' more subtle and graceful than that ?

I find these hold up well down into the 60-80hz range, not going to rumble the room of course but can still accurately make judgements on eq and frequency. and I find that things translate well onto other systems.

I have a Yamaha sub that I kick on just to have a listen below that, but I am in a small edit suite for the most part so its only on briefly.

No lack of foundation or omission, just the nature and physics of the wattage and driver size of this type of speaker. So i guess I would call it "subtle and graceful" to use your words.

I generally would just call these speakers a workhorse, listen all day, non fatiguing and accurate. I see them in a lot of post production suites.


Chris
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump