The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , , , , ,

What's your favorite way to record live? Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
View Poll Results: What's your favorite way to record live?
Analog recorders (2", 1", 1/2", 1/4", audiocassette)
10 Votes - 4.67%
Digital recorders (DASH, ADAT, DTRS, DAT, etc, etc)
32 Votes - 14.95%
Hard disk recorders (RADAR, X48, HD24XR, MX2424, etc, etc)
87 Votes - 40.65%
DAW (PT and all the rest of the computer based rigs)
85 Votes - 39.72%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Old 3rd September 2007
Super Moderator

Well, twelve more folks voted and Hard disk recorders are still leading the pack in 2007 at over 40% with DAW coming in second at just about 30% as of 09/03/07.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
It's almost exactly five years to date...

I'm sure if we look at this poll today the numbers would change quite a bit.
I don't think digital tape recorders would be neck and neck with DAW systems.

What do you folks think?

Who hasn't voted yet?
Consider chiming in on this poll.

Lets see what the 2007 numbers will bring.
I'm interested to see the possible difference in the poll.

With 89 votes the 2002 poll numbers had hard disk recording on top with digital tape recorder a distant second...

Analog recorders (2", 1", 1/2", 1/4", audiocassette)........................4...... .....4.49%
Digital recorders (DASH, ADAT, DTRS, DAT, etc, etc)......................24.........26.97%
Hard disk recorders (RADAR, X48, HD24XR, MX2424, etc, etc)........38.........42.70%
DAW (PT and all the rest of the computer based rigs).....................23..........25.84%

And, the most important question I would like to ask all the 2007 newbie engineers is:
What does the word "tape" mean to you?

Thanks!
Old 6th September 2007
Super Moderator

Hard drive recorders are holding strong.

I thought maybe desktop / laptop DAW rigs would edge in a bit closer to the hard drive recorders...

Well, only 106 votes are in so...

Where would it stand if we had at least a thousand votes casted?
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Maniac

I've been using the HD24 going to a Yammy 01V96 for monitoring and mixing with headphones on the fly into 2 channels of my Metric Halo 2882 +DSP. The band gets to take the rough mix home that night and let me know which songs they want me to waste, I mean, spend my time on.
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Guru

I use three Metric Halo units, aided by 8 + 4 plus TD-1 making 13 channels of Millennia mic pres. I got into Powerbook 1.65. I have up to 26 tracks I/O but never have used that much. I hover around a max of 18, normally 16. 88.2. I use the Metric Halo Record Panel, which is trouble free. No bells and whistles. Just records and plays back live. Never ever crashed on me. Later I mix into DP 4.61.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
And, the most important question I would like to ask all the 2007 newbie engineers is:
What does the word "tape" mean to you?
Tape is what I use to hold my car together.

Officially, I prefer DAW recording, but I have never used an HD system, so what the heck do I know?!

I track using my Metric Halo Record Panel -- when I grow up, I want to be Henry
Old 7th September 2007
Super Moderator

Ah, yes -- That's what tape is... I almost forgot.

With 116 Voters, here's the dope on this matter:

Analog recorders (2", 1", 1/2", 1/4", audiocassette)....................7........6.03%

Digital recorders (DASH, ADAT, DTRS, DAT, etc, etc)...................25......21.55%

Hard disk recorders (RADAR, X48, HD24XR, MX2424, etc, etc)....49......42.24%

DAW (PT and all the rest of the computer based rigs)..................35......30.17%

Hard disk recorders are still the top choice for Remotesters on thid forum!

It makes a lot of sense!!
Old 9th September 2007
Super Moderator

So, it's safe to say for the most part, analog is dead in the mobile and location recording world.

118 Voters say their favorite way to record live is still with hard disk recorders.
DAW comes in at a distant second with digital tape ahead of analog by a fair amount.

Analog recorders (2", 1", 1/2", 1/4", audiocassette).....................7.... 5.93%
Digital recorders (DASH, ADAT, DTRS, DAT, etc, etc)..................25....21.19%
Hard disk recorders (RADAR, X48, HD24XR, MX2424, etc, etc)....51....43.22%
DAW (PT and all the rest of the computer based rigs).................35....29.66%
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

I record to DAW, not because it's my favorite way to record, but because it's what I have. It works well for me, however - I'm not longing for something different.
Old 10th September 2007
Super Moderator

Karl,

That's cool, do you run a backup?
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

No backup. I've been lucky too. I had a session crash on me years ago when I was just getting going - managed to recover it, more or less, with many hours of tedious labor. I've had a couple glitches that haven't cause problems - recording a live concert when I ran out of disk space - but the song I missed was their worst of the night. More recently I had a recording just quit for no apparent reason - but I was recording two nights and the other take was good.

Backup would be good, but I don't have the means to backup multitrack, and haven't convinced myself that a two-track backup would be worthwhile. I run mirrored disks on my new DAW, so I'm somewhat protected from a disk problem.
Old 10th September 2007
Super Moderator

Just putting it out there...

Let's say it's a one shot liver performance and the track that was lost was the best they ever played it.

Beside the fact that those tracks are heading towards Mars and beyond, how do you overdub the audience? heh

Anyway, I hear you, but if you're recording something that must be captured to recordable multitrack media, please consider borrowing or renting the backup device.
Lossing those tracks would be forever.
Old 10th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Losing those tracks would be forever.
No argument from me on that. At this point the material/performances I record really aren't that big a deal.

If I find myself recording the Indianapolis Symphony, I'll throw HD24 rental into the quote.
Old 12th September 2007
Super Moderator

I was refering to having a BU for the HD you're going to ship.
If the HD gets damaged or lost, but everyone's cool about it, then yeah, no need for a safety master.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

DOH!
I mix what I record. Not in the practice of shipping disks. If I did, GOOD LORD YES I'd keep a backup. Before I start mixing I make a backup copy of all the raw files on a different disk in my DAW. Once the project is done I throw the whole thing onto DVD disks.
Old 12th September 2007
Super Moderator

Sounds good to me!
Old 17th September 2007
Super Moderator

Quote:
So, it's safe to say for the most part, analog is dead in the mobile and location recording world.

118 Voters say their favorite way to record live is still with hard disk recorders.
DAW comes in at a distant second with digital tape ahead of analog by a fair amount.

Analog recorders (2", 1", 1/2", 1/4", audiocassette).....................7.... 5.93%
Digital recorders (DASH, ADAT, DTRS, DAT, etc, etc)..................25....21.19%
Hard disk recorders (RADAR, X48, HD24XR, MX2424, etc, etc)....51....43.22%
DAW (PT and all the rest of the computer based rigs).................35....29.66%
We have a few more votes in and the poll stands at...

Analog recorders (2", 1", 1/2", 1/4", audiocassette).....................7.... 5.43%
Digital recorders (DASH, ADAT, DTRS, DAT, etc, etc)..................26....20.16%
Hard disk recorders (RADAR, X48, HD24XR, MX2424, etc, etc)....55....42.64%
DAW (PT and all the rest of the computer based rigs).................41....31.78%

The DAWsters are inching up, little by little...

Slowly they (I) turn, inch by inch...
Old 21st September 2007
Super Moderator

Quote:
We have a few more votes in and the poll stands at...

Analog recorders (2", 1", 1/2", 1/4", audiocassette).....................7.... 5.43%
Digital recorders (DASH, ADAT, DTRS, DAT, etc, etc)..................26....20.16%
Hard disk recorders (RADAR, X48, HD24XR, MX2424, etc, etc)....55....42.64%
DAW (PT and all the rest of the computer based rigs).................41....31.78%

The DAWsters are inching up, little by little...

Slowly they (I) turn, inch by inch...

With 135 votes in to date we have similar numbers:
Analog recorders (2", 1", 1/2", 1/4", audiocassette).....................7.... 5.19%
Digital recorders (DASH, ADAT, DTRS, DAT, etc, etc)..................26....19.26%
Hard disk recorders (RADAR, X48, HD24XR, MX2424, etc, etc)....58....42.96%
DAW (PT and all the rest of the computer based rigs).................44....32.59%

I wonder what the percentages will be like in another years or so?

Consider voting if you have second or two.
Old 26th September 2007
Super Moderator

Quote:
With 135 votes in to date we have similar numbers:
Analog recorders (2", 1", 1/2", 1/4", audiocassette).....................7.... 5.19%
Digital recorders (DASH, ADAT, DTRS, DAT, etc, etc)..................26....19.26%
Hard disk recorders (RADAR, X48, HD24XR, MX2424, etc, etc)....58....42.96%
DAW (PT and all the rest of the computer based rigs).................44....32.59%

I wonder what the percentages will be like in another years or so?

Consider voting if you have second or two.
With 141 votes in:
Analog recorders (2", 1", 1/2", 1/4", audiocassette).....................7.... 4.96%
Digital recorders (DASH, ADAT, DTRS, DAT, etc, etc)..................26....18.44%
Hard disk recorders (RADAR, X48, HD24XR, MX2424, etc, etc)....61....43.26%
DAW (PT and all the rest of the computer based rigs).................47....33.33%

I believe we can safely say analog recording for live on location recording is (for the most part) dead.
Old 27th September 2007
Gear Maniac

In the old days, I used analog to record remotely.

When Pro Tools came out, I used that to record remotely, but it was a lot of stuff to carry around.

I skipped the ADATS and waited until the DA88s came out. I bought a few, but hated spending the time getting the tapes into the PT system back at the studio. Eventually I had one go funny during a recording session.

Now I take my HD rig out for the big recordings, and my laptop/003 rig for the small gigs.

Sometimes I use my 003 LE system to back up my HD system. And one time I ganged them together to get a ridiculous number of tracks for recording a large church event.
Old 30th September 2007
Super Moderator

Quote:
With 141 votes in:
Analog recorders (2", 1", 1/2", 1/4", audiocassette).....................7.... 4.96%
Digital recorders (DASH, ADAT, DTRS, DAT, etc, etc)..................26....18.44%
Hard disk recorders (RADAR, X48, HD24XR, MX2424, etc, etc)....61....43.26%
DAW (PT and all the rest of the computer based rigs).................47....33.33%

I believe we can safely say analog recording for live on location recording is (for the most part) dead.
With 150 votes in we still have HARD DISK RECORDERS IN THE LEAD & DAW A SOLID SECOND!

Analog recorders (2", 1", 1/2", 1/4", audiocassette).....................7.... 4.67%
Digital recorders (DASH, ADAT, DTRS, DAT, etc, etc)..................27....18.00%
Hard disk recorders (RADAR, X48, HD24XR, MX2424, etc, etc)....65....43.33%
DAW (PT and all the rest of the computer based rigs).................51....34.00%
Old 1st October 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zemlin View Post
DOH!
I mix what I record. Not in the practice of shipping disks. If I did, GOOD LORD YES I'd keep a backup. Before I start mixing I make a backup copy of all the raw files on a different disk in my DAW. Once the project is done I throw the whole thing onto DVD disks.
Interesting. I throw the entire raw recording onto DVD the night I load back into the studio. I also do a two track "on the fly" mix as a backup to an Mlink and an HHB Burn-It. That little scenario has saved my butt twice!

I never ship HDisks anywhere. If the client wants raw, they get a 48/24 DVD, or several DVD's if the rate was 88.2.
Old 24th February 2008
Super Moderator

Four more votes in totaling 154 votes and HARD DISK RECORDERS are still in the lead with DAW a solid second!

Analog recorders (2", 1", 1/2", 1/4", audiocassette).....................7.... 4.55%
Digital recorders (DASH, ADAT, DTRS, DAT, etc, etc)..................27....17.53%
Hard disk recorders (RADAR, X48, HD24XR, MX2424, etc, etc)....68....44.16%
DAW (PT and all the rest of the computer based rigs).................52....33.77%

Anyone else care to vote on this topic?

Let's see how the number do with a few more votes.
Old 24th February 2008
Gear Addict

I voted in category 4, since my tower PT HD3 is my primary. But I have a hard disc backup (HD24xr) too. I like the combo of these two. Monitoring and end-of-show ruff mix creation is a snap with a DAW. Plus its "bring it home and start mixing" easy. Both systems have proven very stable. I've done 24 tracks at 24/88.2 for nearly 2 hours without a crash. I do allocate to 2 drives (internal SATA) when working at higher SRs. As soon as the performance ends I 'll do a "save session copy in" backup to a third SATA drive, to be extra anal...uh, I mean safe.
Still searching for a portafordable monitoring solution for the HD24 though...
-G
Old 24th February 2008
LX3
Lives for gear

I know this is just for fun, but don't we need to re-do this poll each year to get a proper picture of how things are changing?

Say someone voted for DA88 in 2003, did they re-vote when they (inevitably?) switched to HD/DAW? How do you discount the previous vote? The results can get skewed in all kinds of ways.

Solution would be to make a separate thread for each year, perhaps towards the end of the year. "What was your preferred recording medium this year? (2008)".

FWIW, I'm primarily HD recorder based. Back in 2002 I was all about the laptop DAW, but that didn't last for long! (because I valued my hair and my sanity). I get the feeling that DAWs are staging a comeback though - I suspect in part due to the recent dearth of good hardware HD recorders.
Old 24th February 2008
Super Moderator

This is not scientific by any means.

In any event, you can only vote once in this poll.
Old 24th February 2008
Motown legend

Anybody tried this?

VOSGAMES
Old 24th February 2008
Gear Guru

That's similar, in essence it's the Record Panel of the Metric Halo Boxes. Sheer simplicity and high quality, crash free recorder. No bells or whistles, just a straight recorder. But it's tied to the hardware. Remote recorders dream.

But I've heard great things about the Boom Recorder. And I've heard a lot of people draw comparisons to the Record Panel.
Old 24th February 2008
Lives for gear

This poll is great! It makes me laugh, because I got in this huge argument with this guy at a pro audio store a little while ago. I told him I use two Korg D888s to record up to 16 channels live and take it back to Sonar to mix down. He told me absolutely no "professional" used hard disk recorders anymore, just a MacBook Pro with PT. He also of course bashed Sonar and said it was crap software .

I was like okay but I'm making plenty of money so fuuck
Old 24th February 2008
Gear Addict

Alesis HD24 an Fostex FR2LE does the job for me.

HD24 is great IMO
Old 24th February 2008
LX3
Lives for gear

BoomRecorder is great, have used it here quite a few times... though I'd love to see them add some more flexible and faster-to-use monitoring. Then it'd be killer.

I'm curious to know how many people who said they were using tape (e.g. DA88) in 2002 or 03 are still using it. I think the numbers as they stand now would be telling (or not?)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search