The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
new UK mics...Aston Condenser Microphones
Old 11th November 2015
Lives for gear

new UK mics...Aston

I'm surprised the Union Jack wavers here haven't been celebrating the release of a new all British mic !

It claims to have a few innovative aspects, such as the washable steel Brillo pad inbuilt pop filter, inbuilt shock mounting (it screws straight onto a stand) and supremely strong end caps.

Seems to be more studio oriented than suitable for location recording (don't try this on the end of a carbon fibre tube !) Curious that they're offering a Rycote shock mount for early sales ?

https://youtu.be/FOBxQRX6QAU

https://www.facebook.com/astonmicrophones/

Aston Microphones - The Art of Performance
Old 11th November 2015
Gear Head
Yes, very interesting. I'm looking to try one of these out in the next couple of weeks in my studio. You can apparently try them out free directly from Aston as a 7 day trial.

I'm looking for a new vocal mic and would be interested to pitch the Aston Spirit vs AKG C314 vs Neumann TLM 102 as soon as possible to see what best suits my voice and for a young girl vocalist I'm due to record after Xmas.

If the performance is as good as the marketing suggests (and I really hope it is) this Aston mic could be a winner.

Great work Aston Mics!
Old 14th November 2015
Lives for gear

I watched the PMT video in which the guy uses a Rycote Invision shockmount and says that you get one of these free with the mic. (limited offer)

As I have been considering one one of these shocks for a while and am interested to try the mic, that almost triggered a preorder for me BUT according the website the actual shockmount that is free is the Rycote Lyre and as far as I can see this isn't anything remotely like the one in the video and I don't understand how it fits or works with this or any other LDC on a mic stand.

Trying to get some firm clarification but PMTs response wasn't very clear (they only said the Lyre is compatible with this mic) and Aston haven't got back to me (It was only Friday afternoon so hopefully will hear next week)
I also note that the link to to claim your free shockmount at Aston's site is currently dead.
Old 14th November 2015
Lives for gear

Rycote Invision is a line of lyre shockmounts. Not sure if you are mixing up different terms for the same product.
Old 14th November 2015
Gear Addict

I just was wondering how well this guy has done his homework. The first in the UK manufactured microphone? Calrec, Hebdensound, Coles …….
Old 14th November 2015
Lives for gear

EDIT UPDATE: Have heard directly from Aston who have confirmed that the Invision shockmount as shown in the video is the one on offer. This seems like a great deal....just wish there were some sound samples to audition before placing that pre-order.

Quote:
Rycote Invision is a line of lyre shockmounts. Not sure if you are mixing up different terms for the same product.
Quote:
Possibly....I'm just googling Lyre and not seeing anything remotely like in the video which I think is the invision USM....

Also this is the pic on the site right under the video with the caption RECEIVE A FREE RYCOTE LYRE WITH AN ASTON MIC...Definitely nothing like the one in the video he says you get for free.

Last edited by stella645; 16th November 2015 at 07:35 PM..
Old 7th December 2015
bee
Lives for gear

Anyone know the pricing? Is there a dealer in the US?
Old 7th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Reel View Post
You can apparently try them out free directly from Aston as a 7 day trial.
Where did you see that? I'd be up for giving that a go, but can't see any info about that anywhere...
Old 7th December 2015
Lives for gear

Old 7th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Anyone know the pricing? Is there a dealer in the US?
UK Prices are £199 for the Origin and £299 for the Spirit.

Says on their facebook page:
Quote:
our mics will be shipping to our US distributor Presidio Label very shortly.
There's still no stock at any UK retailer as far as I can see although they told me on 20th Nov they would be with the retailers "next week"
Old 9th December 2015
Here for the gear

Mmm... I have one on pre-order from Dolphin Music, paid for on 15th November. Still awaiting stock.
Old 9th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronanbreslin View Post
Mmm... I have one on pre-order from Dolphin Music, paid for on 15th November. Still awaiting stock.
I have one on order from PMT who called me to say that they had received the first few this week but were expecting to be able to fill my order later next week. Said something about not being able to send those ones out which seemed kind of odd but whatever.

One other thing I note is that although the original PMT video spoke of the FREE Rycote shock the latest review video says that the shock is at additional cost.

I have a facebook message directly from Aston confirming that the Invision USM was the "free" shockmount rather than the Lyre mentioned on the PMT website so I hope they're not reneging on this deal.
Old 15th December 2015
bee
Lives for gear

Please give us some feedback once you get it. They look like really cool mics, minus the horrible names of Origin and Spirit.
Old 22nd December 2015
bee
Lives for gear

Anyone get one yet? Looks like they're shipping now.
Old 1st January 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Anyone get one yet? Looks like they're shipping now.
+1
Old 8th January 2016
bee
Lives for gear

There's several youtube videos with these mics being used. They sound alright, nothing special, but I don't trust youtube. Anyone out there using these yet?
Old 10th January 2016
Gear Head
Yes, I've just got the Aston Origin. It does sound very good, clear, warm and with body. Lovely high end. Unfortunately, mine has got a noise problem. At 40-45 gain levels through my Apollo Twin it exhibits a 'static crackling' type noise. Not workable as it currently stands, but the quality still shines through. Have asked for a replacement through Sonic Distribution but this has not been fulfilled at the mo.
Old 10th January 2016
Lives for gear

I also got my Origin.
Nothing further to report really....overall just sounds really nicely balanced and the top end does seem very sweet, but tbh I only had 30 mins playing with it so far.
Old 11th January 2016
bee
Lives for gear

Anyone used these for drum overheads or drum room mics?
Old 11th January 2016
Lives for gear

I'd like to see some more user reviews of these too. Looking for another pair of mics for drum overheads, and something different for vocals. My main vocal mics are a Blue Kiwi and a Mojave MA-200.
Old 13th January 2016
Curious about these Mics as well. I was surprised at their prices, but what intrigued me was the rave review.

Been thinking about picking up a non-tube LDC for a while now. Was thinking a C414 variety, but perhaps, one of these would be a nice option too.
Old 14th January 2016
I like the Aston design, i will order one looks promising .. But sound matters here. I would like to hear some vocals and some guitars or overheads... Anyone?
Old 15th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreadspell View Post
I like the Aston design, i will order one looks promising .. But sound matters here. I would like to hear some vocals and some guitars or overheads... Anyone?
Pin 3 hot with sort of an etched top end.
Old 17th January 2016
Lives for gear

Old 17th January 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Sound on Sound (UK) review: Aston Origin
Their review was basically useless! =)

How about some audio samples or even some comparisons? Nothing. Poor showing from SOS.
Old 17th January 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
At 40-45 gain levels through my Apollo Twin it exhibits a 'static crackling' type noise.
i got the same crakling with other mics, i think its the appollo itself

sounds more like computer noise
Old 17th January 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by emaxx View Post
i got the same crakling with other mics, i think its the appollo itself

sounds more like computer noise
Sounds like clipping? What is your Apollo's meter hitting? (Color LED/level?)
Old 17th January 2016
Quote:
Yes, I've just got the Aston Origin. It does sound very good, clear, warm and with body. Lovely high end. Unfortunately, mine has got a noise problem. At 40-45 gain levels through my Apollo Twin it exhibits a 'static crackling' type noise. Not workable as it currently stands, but the quality still shines through. Have asked for a replacement through Sonic Distribution but this has not been fulfilled at the mo.
Could also be that there's too much SPL for the mic to handle?
Old 17th January 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by YRLK View Post
Sounds like clipping? What is your Apollo's meter hitting? (Color LED/level?)
no it sounds like low level noise (thunderbolt bus noise i presume) being amplified.
Old 17th January 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by emaxx View Post
no it sounds like low level noise (thunderbolt bus noise i presume) being amplified.
So it's an issue with your Apollo, your computer, or your power source then?

Have you tried a different outlet, different location? Could it be lights or computer power supply?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search