The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , ,

Why do you want to go split that perfectly good mic anyway? Dynamics Plugins
Old 11th January 2010
Gear Addict

One of the reasons why trucks run bigger 3 phase power iso transformers is to give the gear some immunity from switching spikes etc from other sources, for example when air conditioners kick in and out. It's for this reason that a lot of mobile recording trucks have air conditioners that don't switch off. A transformer can act as a choke, suppressing certain power disturbances that might otherwise be imposed on the line, and as a very rough rule of thumb, the bigger the transformer the greater the smoothing effect.

Back to the split question, and for somewhat similar reasons, many engineers will favour isolation transformers in the audio path over other options.
Old 10th February 2013
Here for the gear

I would like the option the option of tracking to both my 8 channel Profire 2626, and my 8 channel Teac 80-8 simultaneously. I have a 8 channel console with direct RCA outs to feed the TEAC 80-8, and a Radial ProD8 8 channel DI.

I want the best quality audio possible, so should I get a Radial Ox8 Mic splitter, or would XLR Y cables suffice?
Radial O8X Eight Channel 3-way Splitter | Sweetwater.com
Old 10th February 2013
Super Moderator

You do not want to use a mic splitter for this task.

You should consider using an audio (distribution amplifier) DA, especially if you can adjust the output levels for each (input) of the device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaticanBeach View Post
I would like the option the option of tracking to both my 8 channel Profire 2626, and my 8 channel Teac 80-8 simultaneously. I have a 8 channel console with direct RCA outs to feed the TEAC 80-8, and a Radial ProD8 8 channel DI.

I want the best quality audio possible, so should I get a Radial Ox8 Mic splitter, or would XLR Y cables suffice?
Radial O8X Eight Channel 3-way Splitter | Sweetwater.com
Old 10th February 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
You do not want to use a mic splitter for this task.

You should consider using an audio (distribution amplifier) DA, especially if you can adjust the output levels for each (input) of the device.
Wouldn't this be unnecessary, being that I have individual preamps dedicated for each of the channels for both the profire audio interface, and the Teac 80-8 Reel to reel.

Wouldn't this color the original signal? I am open to the idea of getting an audio distribution amplifier, but most of the ones I am looking at are 2 in and 8 out etc. I would need 8 in and 16 out.

My price range is 1000-2000. What device would yield the highest quality reproduction of the original signal for tracking to both the audio interface and multi channel reel to reel? If it is a DA, which DA? The idea of another preamp in the chain bothers me though.
Old 26th February 2013
Here for the gear

I'm assembling a mobile recording rig, and was wondering if there were disadvantages to running a split snake at the stage, with one umbilical going to FOH's snake and one going into my outboard pres. My Focusrite A/D converter is also my mobile interface, and has mic pres built-in. It's mid-level equipment (some of which has not been purchased yet). If I use a passive non-isolated snake, are my pre settings going to affect FOH's gain?
Old 26th February 2013
Lives for gear

Not clear whether you are also running FOH, or if you are a transient "guest" in different situations? If you are running everything, splitting at the stage and running two snakes seems redundant.

OTOH, if you are a "guest" in a transient situation, the FOH wiring is already worked out (whether a snake, or venue internal wiring or whatever) and your requirement would be to "tap into" the mic lines with minimal disruption to the house system.

IOW there are a wide range of different requirements and different possible solutions depending on details which were not revealed here.
Old 10th April 2013
Gear Addict

Hey, we're in need of a quick splitter solution and have eyed the Radial OX8, even though it's sort of pricey and we are capable of building our own splitter... we're in a hurry. The local custom cable/panel places aren't offering much in the way of a small format splitter - 16ch- and don't seem to be interested in just selling us the parts... yet... we are still trying. But if it comes to it, Radial OX8 it is.

A lot of splitters seem to use Luhndal, but Radial uses their own or Jensen... any comments on this in terms of transformers for signal splitting stuff? Radial is always solid, but a lot of people hate on Jenses... not sure why.
Old 11th April 2013
Lives for gear

Plug mic into preamp/converter. Use the digital out for me, Use the isolated preconverter outputs for anyone else.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search