The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , ,

Sound designers: which mic?
Old 13th January 2007
Gear Head

Question Sound designers: which mic?

Hey guys, i'm looking to buy a rig so i can start recording in the field for some sound design and various things. I don't have much money to budget, so i was thinking about getting an m-audio microtrack or something similar, and a shotgun mic/pistolgrip/zepplin setup. I only have around 300$ for a mic, and i was wondering what mics sound design/field recording guys would recommend.

Also, what does everyone think of the microtrack? I've use'd it briefly and i thought it was pretty good for the price. Any alternative suggestions?

thanks.
Old 13th January 2007
Lives for gear

For $300 you can afford EITHER a low-end condenser mic, a medium-to-low priced dynamic, a pistol grip/shockmount, OR a Zeppelin. Given these limitations, maybe you would either like to consider used, or get very specific about what you want to record.

Of course, renting is always an option....

Sound design for? Theatre, TV, Film, Video Games, Theme Park, Industrials, or sound effects collections?

You're going to want to round up more $$ for mics, and $$$$ for good preamps. It's not just noticeable....it's a WORLD of difference.
Old 13th January 2007
Gear Nut

The yahoo groups
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/phonography

and
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/naturerecordists

have lots of good advice for lower cost field recording. I use AT3032 stereo pair of omni's with a home made jecklin disc int a Beyer MV100 preamp and record on an edirol R09. this is good, low cost, low noise (very important) setup for soundscape recording and acoustic music.

A shotgun mic is a whole different story,(usually mono) but the preamp and recorder that I use would be fine for this as well. An MS stereo mic setup in a Zeppelin would probably be the best solution for portability, but there really isn't a cheap way to do this. Another option is a stereo mic, such as the AT825 or AT822. these sound pretty good but are somewhat noisy. The 822 is battery operated as well and doesn't require phantom.
Old 13th January 2007
Gear Head

my intent is to use this rig to get ambiences and sfx for my music, as well as movie and videogame post.

also, does anyone know of a company that makes cheaper pistolgrip setups than Rycote?

i'd also like the option to do MS recordings in the future.
Old 22nd January 2007
Gear Maniac

For recording ambiences, you want to lean more towards the omnis and stay away from the directional mics like the shotguns. Directional mics tend to color the sound. The more directional, the more distorted the sound. But if you are always recording a long distance from the source, you might need a directional mic.

Since you want to do stereo recordings in the future, you might want to go ahead and get a cheap battery-powered stereo mic now and upgrade it later.

I have the Sony ECM-999PR stereo mic, which has apparently been discontinued. It’s a decent mic, but I haven’t used it in many years since I have better mics now.

Here are a few cheap battery-powered stereo mics that I have not personally used, but should work for you.

Sony ECM-MS957, $200. It does X/Y and M/S.

Audio Technica AT822, $250. It does X/Y, not M/S.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search