The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Line Audio CM3 Vs. Schoeps MK21 Condenser Microphones
Old 3rd November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgerard View Post
No distributors, pre-polarized capsules, very low overheads and in my opinion, very humble margins, result in very low end user pricing. Please keep in mind the bodies are simple single Aluminum sleeves so there's no modularity. Schoeps offer a complete modular system with excellent mechanical tolerances and beautifully made DC polarized capsules, constant R&D, a distributor network and higher margins, resulting in a much higher end user price, but still justified, IMHO. The problem today is that we are all biased by the price of the cheap Chinese knockoffs.
I noticed on your website that you'll match a group of four of them. Very cool.

There are some excellent, original, low cost Chinese-made mics, the SE Vr-1 for example.
Old 3rd November 2015
Lives for gear

It doesn't take me long, because the tolerances are already pretty damn good. so once in a while I put one aside for later testing but usually, I'd say that out of 10, at least 9 will be perfectly matched, straight out of the box from Line Audio. I often get requests for 4, 6 or sometimes 8 identical CM3's or OM1's, it's worth checking that they do match well before shipping, I hate having to return products and I don't expect my customer to have to do so!
Old 3rd November 2015
Lives for gear

Yep that reflects my experience. I have a quad each of CM3 and OM1. If memory serves me one of four is a little bit off bit we are talking less than a dB in a small range. Not many situations where that would be audible.

Close to perfect match and these were just picked from the shelf.

Someone I know made "matching tests" of AKG414 and Neumann TLM103 some years ago (5-10 each or so I think). The Neumanns were more or less identical while the spread within the AKG group was 2-3dB or something like that.

I wouldn't mind a pair of 414 though, I think they are excellent mic's. Slightly loose QC may explain why people report so differently when using/testing these mic's though.

Some of the best recordings I have heard were made with 414.. several versions of 414, I know.
Old 3rd November 2015
Lives for gear

Yes, I wouldn't be surprised if a modern 414, with its plastic capsule construction, had looser tolerances than the earlier all metal construction but NOT the 50's type CK12, those were all over the place in terms of frequ. response. I heard from reliable sources that current Neumann capsules have wider tolerances including the classic K67 type capsules... but again, in day to day use, it probably won't matter much. Try this with the typical Chinese import and see what kind of trouble you end up with
Old 31st October 2016
Here for the gear

the recording on youtube?

Old 4th November 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundtrane View Post
Yes that's the one - I hope you enjoyed! We had great coverage from Gramophone magazine, especially noting the sound of the recording which was great for me as producer/engineer.

Dave
Old 5th November 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJones View Post
Yes that's the one - I hope you enjoyed!
Dave
Of course, it is a great recording...
Old 6th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJones View Post
Yes that's the one - I hope you enjoyed! We had great coverage from Gramophone magazine, especially noting the sound of the recording which was great for me as producer/engineer.
Dave
It does sound good, I have ordered it. I love solo violin. Which mics did you use for the recording in the end?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

im about to buy 2 Cm3's for an upcoming church choir recording Can anyone recommend a good position to use the cm3s in and what kind of stands should i get for them?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Blackburn View Post
im about to buy 2 Cm3's for an upcoming church choir recording Can anyone recommend a good position to use the cm3s in and what kind of stands should i get for them?
Try your CM3's in ORTF. This will give excellent results for choir. Make sure to leave time for positioning the mics, listening back, and repositioning them until it sounds the best it can.

ORTF is 17cm apart at an angle of 110º.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I’d also recommend ORTF.

I would first spend some time listening to the choir whilst standing in various different places to hear where the sweet spot is for balance and tone. I would then place the mics at this spot and have them positioned at a suitable height so that they can be angled down slightly to point towards as many of the choirs mouths as possible using ORTF.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by brhoward View Post
Try your CM3's in ORTF. This will give excellent results for choir. Make sure to leave time for positioning the mics, listening back, and repositioning them until it sounds the best it can.

ORTF is 17cm apart at an angle of 110º.
Thanks brhoward, appreciate the reply. Can you recommend any stands worth looking at?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I've gotten better results with a NOS (like) positioning with my CM3's, but obviously it mostly depends on the space and angle you want to record.
You might want to read up the "stereophonic zoom" paper and listen to the vast array of audio samples you can find in the CM3 thread in this same section.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I'm still partial to K&M stands and other hardware bits, but I understand there are other options if you're in the USA.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Thanks all for replies. Here's the church i'm recording in, sorry its a small image. Im guessing there's going to be an issue with placing the mic in the middle distracting the audience. The choir will be stood just where the first step is. The organ is hidden on the left wall which will be behind the choir. and the only other mics i have are the Sm7b and Behringer ecm8000, would any of those work on the organ?. Are there any less intrusive ways i could record this? The choir director has just said use a zoom recorder (which i dont have) but i really want to test these cm3s out.

Is there no way i could use the cm3's nearer the floor?

https://prnt.sc/h6wxct
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The CM3's are small enough - they won't distract the audience, no worries!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Blackburn View Post
i have are the Sm7b and Behringer ecm8000, would any of those work on the organ?.
The Behringer ECM8000 actually has a quite extended low frequency response, which would be good for the organ. The high frequency end can be a little noisy (hissy) due to the miniscule capsule size of the mic (self-noise comes into play), but you can roll off the treble end a bit to compensate.

If you have a spare channel on your interface, why not include the ECM8000...it could give you some valuable low-end weight to the organ. If it's of no use, nothing lost...just discard that track
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgerard View Post
The CM3's are small enough - they won't distract the audience, no worries!
It's more the stand or stands im worried about (as i dont own any yet) As this is my first recording of this nature i would love to just buy one stand, plonk it in the middle behind the conductor/choir master using a stereo bar so i can easily do whichever pattern. But if it's got to be the two stand route, one either side, i'll have to buy larger booms and im still not sure i could fit one on the left side anyway because it's against the wall :/
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search