The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags:

Yes yes, another headphone thread :)
Old 29th December 2013
Lives for gear

Yes yes, another headphone thread :)

I know this has been discussed to death, but hey, there's a lot to be said about headphones

I have HD600's, which I do love.

However, I have heard some old stax electrostats with tube amp, and these were quite spectacular at first hear..

Too spectacular? I don't know, the amount of detail was stunning, but I do not know how well they would translate to "real life"
(I don't usually mix on headphones but I do like to EQ on my HD600's, usually more accurate than OB truck sound galleries)

What would be the ultimate headphones for you, tested by you in real life?

Thanks!

Huub
Old 29th December 2013
Lives for gear

And also:

Has anyone compared the sennheiser HD 700, 800, 900 and the stax electrostats?
Old 30th December 2013
Lives for gear

The Stax are reproducing, not modifying or enhancing. I have electrostatic speakers and enjoy that level of detail. It is almost eerie in its reality. YMMV
Old 30th December 2013
Gear Head

I'm using the Audeze LCD-2 and I'm totally happy ...
Old 30th December 2013
Lives for gear

The Ultimate headphone?
I've never heard them, but it would have to be the Sennheiser Orpheus.

Sennheiser Orpheus HE90: What $16,000 Headphones Sound Like | Gizmodo Australia

There's not many of them around, and apparently they sell for around 30K now, amp included. Interestingly, the guy who tested them in the link said they sounded similar to the HD800.

I've got the 800's, and can see the benefit of hearing the super fine details. Great cans usually have excellent seperation, which can help you make better mixing decisions when you can focus on a single sound so well.
Old 30th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdaudio View Post
Oh, those look interesting!
Old 30th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide View Post
The Ultimate headphone?
I've never heard them, but it would have to be the Sennheiser Orpheus.

Sennheiser Orpheus HE90: What $16,000 Headphones Sound Like | Gizmodo Australia

There's not many of them around, and apparently they sell for around 30K now, amp included. Interestingly, the guy who tested them in the link said they sounded similar to the HD800.

I've got the 800's, and can see the benefit of hearing the super fine details. Great cans usually have excellent seperation, which can help you make better mixing decisions when you can focus on a single sound so well.
How do you like the HD800's, and have you compared them to the 600, 650 or 700?

Thanks
Old 30th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdaudio View Post
+1 for that.
Old 30th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by huub View Post

Thanks
Absolutely love the 800's!
I haven't tried the 600/650/700, but I have the 580's, which were the flagship before the 600's. (They have the same drivers as the 600's, but the 600's have an updated design)

I've tried several other can's, but nothing compares to the 800's. The soundstage is just massive, and seems to have width AND height, which makes them sound 3D.
And the detail is brutal, everything stands out. Hearing something like a bad edit will slap you in the face.
Also quality amplification is a must for these.

Here's a great reference for comparing headphones. They have a "Wall of fame" for the best cans available. Interestingly, the 600's are on there, but not the 650's. Also there is a good comparison between the 800's and the Stax.

InnerFidelity's "Wall of Fame" | InnerFidelity
Old 30th December 2013
Lives for gear

I'm a fellow who uses Senn. 650 and formerly Senn. 580 headphones.
I also have a pair of STAX 404 phones with the hi-end tube amp. I enjoy listening to STAX but use Senn. 650 for day in and day out work. The Senn. are diffuse field equalized which helps them to tell me how the program will sound on loudspeakers. Stax don't do that and they are for enjoyment listening. I won't spend the price of the 800's, because I'd rather put that money towards a vacation savings acct.
Old 30th December 2013
just as important can be a good headphone amp! =)
Old 30th December 2013
Lives for gear

STAX SR-404 with Tube amp here. Arguable that because STAX earspeakers are so open to each ear, diffuse field eq not required. They are like loudspeakers, both ears can hear both earspeakers.

Headphone heaven sans fatigue.
Old 30th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thanks
I have been using 600 and 650 for years really like them. Purchased HD800's a week back. Haven't used them all that much, but I think the sound is very different to 600 and 650. Bass is more distinct, imaging is spectacular.

Yes Plush I could have had a holiday, but there was a one day 30% off sale.
Old 30th December 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Elliott View Post
Yes Plush I could have had a holiday, but there was a one day 30% off sale.
I've just found an irresistible offer for a 650 which gives me good sound and a holiday
Old 30th December 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:

Thanks
I have compared all these and have owned all of them.

The HD800 are considerably better than all of them.

The 700 are a good deal better than the 600/650 but nowhere as good as the 800 (which is why I sold on the 700).

The 600/650 are about the same quality, but a little different in characteristics.

The HD800 wins all the way.
Old 30th December 2013
Lives for gear

Anyone tried the Fostex TH-900? Or Koss ESP 950?
Old 30th December 2013
Lives for gear

Thanks john,
have you used or owned stax or other high end headphones?
Old 30th December 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Oh, those look interesting!
For example listening to my last recordings I can say that I can definitely hear the upright bass playing in front of my face. And I've worked with Sennheiser 800 and Beyerdynamic (DT770 for monitoring, DT990 for location recording jobs).
Old 30th December 2013
Gear Addict

Would love to try some HD800's. But no way I could afford them, got more lucrative gear on the purchase list.

I did recently switch headphone amps though. Using the Objective2 : JDS Labs - Objective2 Headphone Amplifier

It's superb.
Old 31st December 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Thanks john,
have you used or owned stax or other high end headphones?
Not owned an electrostatic, though I *have* listened to the Sennheiser Orpheus.

I compared the Orpheus to the then top of the range Sennheiser headphones and was totally unimpressed - UNTIL I put the others back on again and immediately took them off as they sounded so horrible.

The Orpheus just did everything "right" so only showed how good they were when you went back the other way.

Electrostatics are very fast and revealing, though they do tend to fall down a bit at the bass end.

The thing about the ring driver in the HD800 is that it moves the air to give you the bass end, but as the voice coil is large and not driving an unsupported dome it does give you the fast transients and accuracy at higher frequencies.

Not quite as good here as the Orpheus, but it gets pretty close and is only 1/10th the price.
Old 1st January 2014
Lives for gear

No question that a great headphone is worth the money.

Here with the 650 I'm getting enough good detail to make a great recording.
Plus it will play loudly.
Old 2nd January 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Here with the 650 I'm getting enough good detail to make a great recording.
I thought "enough" was a forbidden word on Gearslutz
Just got my 650 and I agree it's fit for the job.
Old 2nd January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aracu View Post
Anyone tried the Fostex TH-900? Or Koss ESP 950?
TH-900's have a soundstage at the very least equal and maybe even superior to the Senn HD800's, which is spectacular considering they're closed (well, officially closed; leakage is pretty bad)

Great sounding cans.
Old 2nd January 2014
Gear Addict

The Koss ESP950s are fantastic sounding headphones, but they're fragile. It's a good thing Koss has the no questions asked lifetime warranty.

InnerFidelity.com is a great resource, Tyll Hertsens was a driving force for the development of good headphones, through his old company HeadRoom.
Old 2nd January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees de Visser View Post
I thought "enough" was a forbidden word on Gearslutz
Just got my 650 and I agree it's fit for the job.
HIGH--larious!

thankyavermuh!

Happy new year to you, Kees
Old 31st January 2014
Lives for gear

I think I'll stick with my HD600's in the end

I think anything more expensive I won't throw in my backpack and thus will not use for everyday work.
Old 31st January 2014
Lives for gear

Shall we group buy some HD800 in the cheapest market (US ?)
Old 1st February 2014
Lives for gear
If three of you guys will kick in $500 each to help me buy a set of HD800s, it would be so much appreciated. (group buy, right?)
Old 1st February 2014
Gear Addict

I'll have them Monday, Wednesday, Friday. Rolo can have them Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday. Plush can give them a spin on Sundays.
Old 1st February 2014
Lives for gear

Better have some 'handy wipes' for the cans then......
Loop inductive playback for dance film dialogue used to involve mass cleaning of waxy earpieces from extras, ghastly job.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search