The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags:

Yes yes, another headphone thread :) Studio Headphones
Old 11th July 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by huub View Post
Yes.

The HD600 is pretty flat anyway, but with the Sonarworks it's pretty much perfect.

It's a shame that the sonarworks does not have an HD26 profile. That's my current favorite closed headphone.
Just giving this a revisit, as there's another headphone eq joining the throng, made by Waves: Waves Announces Headphone EQ Calibration For Nx Virtual Mix Room - ProSoundWeb

and reviewed here: Waves Nx Review | AudioTechnology Magazine

The newest version, with headphone calibration, is on sale for $39: http://www.waves.com/plugins/nx#intr...rtual-mix-room

Has anyone here tried Waves Nx, or is able to compare with Sonarworks, especially in regard to using headphones in the field for monitoring purposes on location...do these add-ons help there ?

Last edited by studer58; 11th July 2017 at 04:58 AM..
Old 11th July 2017
Lives for gear
I was recording some wonderful Mozart yesterday in a lovely hall
I tried my HD 650 but had to revert to the HD25 because of leakage
The 25 is hardly perfect but it is a fantastic and reliable tool when clarity is required
HD 800 is still the benchmark to me, and now my monitor LS sound similar to them too, I have continuity!
Roger
Old 11th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo 46 View Post
I tried my HD 650 but had to revert to the HD25 because of leakage. The 25 is hardly perfect but it is a fantastic and reliable tool when clarity is required.
Agreed. I have two pairs of 25 that are in constant use for location classical recording. Detailed, faithful/neutral, isolating, rugged and road tested. Very fine headphones for the location work.
Old 11th July 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
Agreed. I have two pairs of 25 that are in constant use for location classical recording. Detailed, faithful/neutral, isolating, rugged and road tested. Very fine headphones for the location work.
You forgot to mention insanely efficient and LOUD (if desired)...almost any old headphone-out socket will drive them happily, no need for an exotic standalone headphone amp on location !

The 'reference to speaker calibration' software is less likely to be of use on location compared with back-at-base review/editing/mixing. Also, it's of necessity going to be tied to a computer as a plug-in on the monitoring chain, so will be of no use in the field for those who use dedicated recorders
Old 15th July 2017
Lives for gear
Old 27th August 2017
Gear interested

ultrasone ED-8 EX.
koss ESP-950.
gradp gx2000e.
Philips X2/27 Fidelio.
fostex TH-610/TH900
according the reviews on headphones for pleasant enjoyable still defined good sound ,i narrowed it down to the above models ;
can anyone share any experiences they have with comparison some of those cans each other ?
Old 27th August 2017
Lives for gear

Just jumping into this thread with another choice that I just bought. I got a pair of Etymotic Research ER4SR to try on location.

I don't normally use in-ears. My phones of choice are a pair of AT ATH-M50X. But sometimes, especially if I set up in the wings, and especially if I set up behind the basses, my perspective is pretty skewed due to leakage.

I am a bit concerned about the comfort factor of deep-insert IEMs but the reviews that I have read make me tend to believe that the result will be accurate and flat. More to be revealed.

D.
Old 31st August 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
Just jumping into this thread with another choice that I just bought. I got a pair of Etymotic Research ER4SR to try on location.

I don't normally use in-ears. My phones of choice are a pair of AT ATH-M50X. But sometimes, especially if I set up in the wings, and especially if I set up behind the basses, my perspective is pretty skewed due to leakage.

I am a bit concerned about the comfort factor of deep-insert IEMs but the reviews that I have read make me tend to believe that the result will be accurate and flat. More to be revealed.

D.
Looking forward to hearing about these!
Old 31st August 2017
Lives for gear

Still have yet to use these on anything other than my phone but I went ahead and sprang for another $200 for custom era molds which should make these as good as they can be, both for fidelity and comfort.

They are clearly now, my most expensive phones coming in at over $500 so I hope they live up to the hype. More soon as I start to get busy again.

D.
Old 1st September 2017
Lives for gear

I love the sound of my Etymotics. I also have custom molds, but they are not comfortable for long periods of time and they take time to get in and out which is hard if anyone needs to talk to you occasionally. I have recently bought a pair of Audeze LCD-XC's and own a bunch of other headphones. I mixed Cantus live on air today at the fair with the Audeze. So far I like them very much.
Cameron
Old 12th September 2017
Lives for gear

I have had the Etymotics for longer than I care to admit. It will take a bit of getting used to. The sound is good. The only downside is that the connecting wires are a bit microphonic.

And they fit in your pocket. I like that, too.
Old 12th September 2017
Lives for gear

I just bought a vintage pair of hd414s just to see if they are as good as I remember.. my dog ate the cord off my hd600s...
Old 12th September 2017
Gear Addict
I use UE Reference Monitors for tracking. For reference listening, I've heard nothing that beats the HD800 driven by the SPL Phonitor.

Last edited by bwanajim; 13th September 2017 at 05:28 AM..
Old 12th September 2017
Lives for gear
HD 800 are ring radiators
That is their beauty imho
Roger
Old 13th September 2017
Lives for gear

I have a couple of headphones of which I like the most the AKG K501 (like them better then my K701) for listening/mixing/editing, for monitoring during live recordings I use Beyerdynamics DT770 Pro 250 Ohm.

I use the SPL Phomitor and recently I purchased a second hand Benchmark DAC1 which sounds fine too....
Old 14th September 2017
Gear Guru

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorman View Post
... my dog ate the cord off my hd600s...
At least replacement cords are easy to get.

You were lucky it was only a dog - when I was younger my brother used to keep Gerbils, who kept escaping and ran round the house chewing through cables.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search