Old 27th August 2013
Gear interested

Phantom Power/Lav

Hey Guys, question about some gear... I am not a location recordist so I apologize if this is a silly question....

I have some guys going out on a doc shoot with and older mixer Edirol R4. The way phantom works on that machine is there is one on/off switch for Ch 1 & 2 and a second on/off for Ch 3&4. But the way the headphone monitor breaks out the channels for monitoring is CH 1/3 are Left ear, CH 2/4 are right ear.
What happens then on set if they have a boom and 2 lavs is that inevitably one of the lavs gets fed in with the boom and makes monitoring it a pain.

My question (assuming you followed that at all is:
if the boom is plugged into ch1 (forcing phantom on for ch1/2) is it bad to plug a lav in to ch2? I'm concerned that having a lav plugged into a channel with phantom power on can blow the receiver.

our work around is to get a phantom power box, to power the boom, pre edirol, but I just want to know if the lav can handle the phantom power if it comes down to it.

thanks. sorry if that is utterly incoherent.
Old 27th August 2013
I seriously doubt any harm would come to the receiver. I have had to feed wireless lavs into a mixer with phantom power engaged many times and there was no problem. The truth is it is not that much power, only a few mA, and some devices even block it internally. If you are truly concerned, they do make inline phantom power blockers for ribbon mics.

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search