The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akg c522 ?
Old 21st March 2013
Gear Nut

Akg c522 ?

I just took a chance on an AKG C522 XY, pretty cheap - but can find next to no practical info on it. Any thoughts / experience worth sharing?

Thanks!!
Old 22nd March 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAsnan View Post
I just took a chance on an AKG C522 XY, pretty cheap - but can find next to no practical info on it. Any thoughts / experience worth sharing?

Thanks!!
I used one a few times to record various church and cathedral organs a long time ago, and found it was east to set up and use. It was my first time using a recorder (sony dat) I still listen to the masters I have now, altho on cd's

peter

(borrowed it from a friend AKG C522 ENG)
Old 23rd March 2013
Gear Addict

A company I do some occasional freelance work for has 2 of them... Great mic, very simple, good results.

The stereo sound from it is 'BIG' and 'broad' when used on crowds etc you would use it as a base of a mix and then add some 'definition' mics as well (like crossed pair if 416's etc).
They also work well for motor racing / Golf atmos (base FX) by pointing upward to the sky or capsules at 90deg vertically (ie; left facing up and right facing down), this give a great base full sound with minimal L/R direction.

The AKG c522 came in 2 versions the c522-ENG (XY) and the c522-MS versions, the (XY) version was the better one.
It is normally powered with phantom but has a rechargeable internal battery (through 3.5mm socket on the side) the internal batteries were never brilliant or reliable so regard it as phantom ONLY.

The current day equivalent to the AKG c522 ENG is the Rode NT4.

If you ever want to get rid of it send me a PM and we can work something out
Old 24th March 2013
Gear Nut

Thanks OzGizmo, I have a Rode NT4, but am looking for an alternative to the Rode sound.. I took a chance on the AKG C522 in the hope that it will be lighter, and have a warmer sound than the NT4 for a simple, single shank stereo rig. Plus, I'm really into how it looks! (although, I have not much idea how, at this stage, I am going to mount it's cone-like front end on a Rycote suspension!)
Old 9th April 2017
Here for the gear

Akg c522

I looked at the AKG Web site, found next to no info about the C522. I have the "ENG" 5-pin version. Anybody come up with a schematic to phantom power it? Cheers,
Thom
Old 9th April 2017
Gear Addict

The 522 has the 'standard' 5 pin stereo mic connections..

1. Earth / Common (Phantom power -)
2. Left + (Phantom power +48v)
3. Left - (Phantom power +48v)

1. Earth / Common (Phantom power -)
4. Right + (Phantom power +48v)
5. Right - (Phantom power +48v)

Pin 1. carries the - for the phantom power of BOTH Left and Right.
Old 15th May 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAsnan View Post

Thanks!!
I assume you have this by now. I have the XY version and it sounds great. I would compare it to the Audio Technica BP4025, but slightly brighter. Livelier sounding. Whether it's truly more extended or just has an upper bump, I'm not sure but overall it sounds better so I tend to grab it before the '4025.

There may have been three versions. My XY does not have adjustable capsules to vary the spread/direction. They are fixed. I'm happy with this, as it prevents accidents. In ENG applications I prefer simple over comprehensive.
It's one of those mics that just seems to sound good every time I use it. Need I say more? I've heard speculation that it's made of two capsules used in the original AKG 451 ck1. I saw this posted but please don't quote me as I have no physical evidence. No matter. It sounds really nice.
Old 25th May 2017
Here for the gear

522 owner

I still have one of the simple XY versions of the 522eng in the original case, including the "User Instructions" and most of the accessories. In the specs is a generic frequency plot and as mentioned earlier, there is indeed a 4-5db bump centered on 7.5KHz that starts around 3.5KHz and ends about 14KHz. However, the 3db down point on the low end appears to be about 100Hz so in that respect, it is NOT like a 451.

I am the original owner... got it new in the early 80s but probably didn't use it more than a dozen times. It is a great sounding stereo mic, I just rarely had the need. It was never outside the studio... with the exception of the outside of the case, the mic and accys could pass for NOS.

I've considered selling it several times, but just have not yet made the effort. Included accys; H30 elastic shockmount, wall charger, multi-pin to dual XLR cable & multi-pin to stereo 3.5mm cable. The SA 41/1 clip and W52 foam windscreen are both missing. (no idea)

I've seen a couple on eBay but none in as pristine condition as this one. If anyone is interested, make me an offer I can't refuse.

High rez photo at drawdog.com/akg522eng.jpg

Last edited by drawdog; 25th May 2017 at 07:45 PM.. Reason: incorrect text
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search