Old 2nd March 2013
Gear Addict

Spacing Between Double ORTF Pairs? (Surround recording)

Is there a general rule of thumb on the spacing between Double ORTF pairs for surround recording? I've found references to 17cm, 20cm, 25cm distances between mic diaphragms.

Old 2nd March 2013
Lives for gear
The correct soacing is 17cm:

Old 2nd March 2013
Gear Addict

Sorry, I think you misunderstood. Neither link mentioned about double ORTF for surround sound recording (4 microphones).

You have one ORTF set facing forward, another ORTF set facing the rear. How much distance between these two pairs? (similar to an IRT Cross setup)

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S
Old 3rd March 2013
Lives for gear
Old 3rd March 2013
Gear Addict

Old 3rd March 2013
Lives for gear
I personally trust Schoeps more than someone from the Gdansk university using Akg C4000b mics and Yamaha msp5 monitor speakers.

But I think double ORTF is more of a convenience thing for recording ambience of broadcast events. It's compact and does not need decoding.
Old 3rd March 2013
Lives for gear

The double ORTF from Schoeps is done with Supercardiods, the one in the AES-PDF with Cardiods. That should explain the differences in the setups.
Old 4th March 2013
Lives for gear
Some engineers don't like time difference between front and back, some do. I'd say try and see how you like it
Old 5th March 2013
Lives for experience
I have done a lot of reading on stereo setups, and I have never seen a standard for double-ortf. I also sometimes record in surround.

My suggestion is to get the Sabra Som stereo bar, then add two stereo bars on top of that and adjust them however you like. I got the ST-4 so I had more room. Simply take two of the adapters off.

Sabra-Som ST-4 - Quad Microphone Support ST4 B&H Photo Video

Also super cheap but good is the McArthur stereo bar.

MacArthur Group - Stereo Bar

Here is a photo of my setup with baby ball gags and windjammers. Those adapters on the Sabra Som will slide closer if you want.

The mics are Schoeps CMC6/MK4's.
Attached Thumbnails
Spacing Between Double ORTF Pairs?-undertone_double_ortf_rig7.jpg   Spacing Between Double ORTF Pairs?-undertone_double_ortf_rig6.jpg   Spacing Between Double ORTF Pairs?-undertone_double_ortf_rig4.jpg   Spacing Between Double ORTF Pairs?-undertone_double_ortf_rig2.jpg  

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search