Holiday shop via this link to support the forum!
Operatic overdubs. Spaces around NYC?
Old 6th February 2013
Gear interested

Operatic overdubs. Spaces around NYC?

So I'm a little in over my head. I wrote and produced a piece for a small ensemble and opera singer. I've recorded a string quartet, accordion, piano and I'm using some sampled contrabassoon for fun.

Now I have an opera singer waiting to do tracks and I have no idea where to record her. Also, there are some other details that I'm a bit fuzzy on.

I'm trying to find a good space in/around NYC. Does anyone know of good spaces to do a 5 hour (max) session in?

Also, I've heard that if opera singers do overdubs they require engineers to do the thing where they set up a pair of monitors out of phase where they perform rather than use headphones. Should I plan on this?

The micing situation depends on if I'm doing the recording or if there's an engineer where we end up recording. I've spoken to some very accomplished producers and they've convinced me that, with some work, I can engineer it fine if I need to.

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 15th September 2014
Lives for gear
I'd say the space depends on what sort of "sonic stamp" you are are looking to imprint.

Not sure where your other tracks were recorded - if this is mostly done in-studio, I'd recommend taking your singer to one of the bigger live rooms in NYC - Kaufman Astoria, Avatar, or MSR maybe.

If you are looking for a classical recording space, Academy of Arts and Letters tends to be one of the better places in NYC to do so. There is also LeFrak Concert Hall in Queens, or SUNY Purchase if you are willing to travel to Westchester.
Loading mentioned products ...

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search