The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Forte Piano
Old 9th January 2013
Lives for gear

Forte Piano

Anyone have any experience recording solo Forte Piano in concert. 500 seat, pretty good sounding room. Considering a Schoeps MS pair if no one has any reason for using something different. It will be center stage and pretty quiet I imagine.

Thanks.

D.
Old 10th January 2013
Gear maniac

I've done a lot, and any of your standard stereo techniques will work fine. Love the Schoeps MS!
Old 10th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbssound1 View Post
I've done a lot, and any of your standard stereo techniques will work fine. Love the Schoeps MS!
Agree.
Old 11th January 2013
Lives for gear

Don't treat it any differently than any other small ensemble recording. It is a quiet instrument (and I would hope that the flute isn't a modern flute with a Fortepiano- that would be odd) so a clean setup will be to your benefit. Otherwise, have fun.

--Ben
Old 11th January 2013
Lives for gear

The usual techniques apply, but there is one caveat:

I have seen (especially the late 18th century models) pianofortes that project actually far more than a modern Steinway.

I have had situations where I had to record from a greater distance, even in churches or chapels.
A Walter eg. does not sound at all from within 2m. The sound has nothing to do with the real thing. Kindof like recording a great Stradivarius. I have never heard a spot mic sound good on an instrument from that caliber.

So, recording a fortepiano live in a noisy hall could be quite a challenge.
Old 12th January 2013
Lives for gear

The date went really well overall. I did in fact go with a Schoeps MS pair, Mk4 and Mk8, into and dematrixed by a SD 788T. I also recorded the mics "as is" on two other tracks, which was good since when I played the 50/50 back in the studio, there was too much (splattery) room which was quickly fixed with an adjustable MS decoder plugin in my DAW. Lots of stereo audience even after I turned down the side channel a bit. The forte piano is pretty mono sourcy; just a little piano on a wide stage that sounded better corrected.

The instrument is an antique (duh!) and the bench was a little squeaky but the musician was very aware and so not a problem. The HVAC in the church was another issue but was brilliantly cured with Izotope RX, my first experience with this for me.

All in all, a nice evening's result.

Thanks to all for your input.

D.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search