The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags:

OM1 - What's it about?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Given To Fly View Post
That was a really good performance! I stopped what I was doing entirely so that I could listen to it. Thank you for recording it and sharing it. Elliott Carter is my favorite composer so your recording made my day!
Glad you enjoyed it !....one of the musicians observed that it was no walk in the park learning it, about 12 hours each of personal practice, 7 hours of combined rehearsal, not to mention the complex cross-rhythms: 'neuroplasticity in action' she called it
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
OM-1 pair, 45 cms spacing, suspended (pointing down) about 5 feet above and a few feet in front of a pair of standing performers....the piece was composed as a 60th birthday gift to Pierre Boulez
Very nice. Could you briefly describe the space? Thanks, as always, for sharing!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
It was an old art-deco era ballroom, small audience (around 60), wooden floor, the players were on floor level a few metres in front of the audience. I guess the mics were close enough to the performers (and pointing down towards the floor) to reduce the effect of the room, but I didn't want any more traffic noise to intrude than already did (it's on the intersection of 2 major roads !)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
from the same concert, Schulhoff Concertino, first 2 movements
Attached Files
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for these fine clips - it shows the OM1 as a truly natural (un-hyped) microphone - no exaggerated anything. I have a pair myself which I use mainly for environmental sounds (a very lightweight remote kit, plugged directly into a handheld recorder). Anyhow all my personal OM1 tests show the same natural character, as can be heard here, and I love them for it. They may lack the final resolution from some of the really expensive omnis, but really, these are highly recommended for everyone seeking nice omni-mics for their collection.

::
Mads
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
It was an old art-deco era ballroom, small audience (around 60), wooden floor, the players were on floor level a few metres in front of the audience. I guess the mics were close enough to the performers (and pointing down towards the floor) to reduce the effect of the room, but I didn't want any more traffic noise to intrude than already did (it's on the intersection of 2 major roads !)
Thanks for the info!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
about 4 feet back from the rear (tail) leg of the piano...a reasonable distance from the hammers ......here's some Bach from the same concert
Hi studer58,

is that still 34 cm spacing? I like this clip the best.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by monitor View Post
Hi studer58,

is that still 34 cm spacing? I like this clip the best.
Yes 34 cms for the piano recordings, 45 cms for these latest strings and woodwinds ones of the last 5 days or so
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head
Quote:
This sounds magnificent. How far back did you have the omnis from the strings? I recorded a symphony recently with these as outriggers and CM-3 as an ORTF main pair. I was getting some harshness on the strings but I'm thinking I was either too high above the strings or perhaps they were just harsh sounding instruments. The concert was Vivaldi's Gloria and Handel's Coronation Anthem 1/ Zadok the Priest. The musicians were not using baroque strings and I'm wondering if that might have been some of the harshness. I'll try to post some mp3s tonight.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search