The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Flaming Lips on Leno last night.
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

Talking Flaming Lips on Leno last night.

any thoughts? how does it compare to the record? how much of it was "live"...stage presentation etc etc...

i thought it was all very cool. that band just projects the good vibes.
Old 26th May 2006
Gear Addict

I saw them on Letterman a couple of weeks ago. I've heard 3 songs on local radio and it's a little over-produced.

I still like it recorded but there was a great vibe live.
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

Trendy, overplayed, kitschy.
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

Yes, I hate things that are trendy.
That's why I follow anti-trendy trends.
Old 27th May 2006
Gear Guru

they are the Devo of the 21st century
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq
I hope you mean that as a compliment!

The new album is still growing on me but I get the feeling I won't end up liking it as much as "Yoshimi" or "Soft Bulletin."

I have to go tend to my case of swelling itching brain...

-Synth80s
Old 27th May 2006
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.RayBullard
Trendy, overplayed, kitschy.
unlike Johnny Cash
Old 27th May 2006
Rab
KMR Audio

Saw them in London a month or so ago. They still pulled off the Tent Of Love in as cr@ppy a rock venue as the Albert Hall. Sound was kinda poor, but it was such a great event it didn't seem to matter much. I was just glad to see a band with personality able to engage an audience in the way that they did. I think I like them more live than on record?
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

Am I the only person who doesn't dig Soft Bulletin??? Love everything previous to that but that record just doesn't do it for me.......

OT. Hey Rab, how's it going geezer? Big up for the KMR brochure
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingUgly
unlike Johnny Cash
OOhhhhhh SNAP.
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eligit
how much of it was "live"...
From my understanding, they all sync to a click track and use a lot of "backup tracks" live, which is just lame in my book, but there's another thread for that discussion. Love the group, very innovative and musically talented. Their new album is...okay compared to much of their other stuff. Never seen them live, have no desire to.
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy
Am I the only person who doesn't dig Soft Bulletin??? Love everything previous to that but that record just doesn't do it for me.......

OT. Hey Rab, how's it going geezer? Big up for the KMR brochure
i like everything BUT the soft bulletin. but i should probably give it another chance.
Old 10th September 2006
They don't even hold a candle to Devo. I've worked with The Flaming Lips and they are nice guys but when it comes to a concept band Devo will always be king. A real world theory of evolution that has become a reality vs. a man that comes out in a giant bubble?

V

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
Old 10th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
I'm with you on that one. Long time fan of The Lips here...been listening to and seeing them live since around '86 or so, and that's one record that just didn't do it for me. They are certainly a MUCH different band than they were in the late '80's - early '90's and do feel compelled to note that their live performances from that era were one of the ultimate live experiences. I saw them around 15 times or so during that time and there are a particular show or two which stand out as a couple of the best live performances I've ever seen. Their live trip now is decidedly different - as much performance art/spectacle as they are live shows. I can assure you that their early shows were still a bit of spectacle with a primitive but fantabulous light/fog machine setup controlled by the bass player, but during their "on" nights, they were also full of blissful, transcendent rock 'n' roll energy of thee most hallowed kind. Those who were there "know".

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search