The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best piano space in NYC
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Nut

Best piano space in NYC

I know this has been touched on before, but I need help finding the best piano room for classical/new age in or around NYC. I already know about Arts and Letters (no piano) and Merkin (too expensive/low availability).

What I REALLY want is a small or medium church in the outer boros with a good piano and room sound. Anyone who can help me will have my eternal gratitude and perhaps the chance to help on some sessions. This is a nagging problem we've had for over a year. Thanks!
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTenorII View Post
I know this has been touched on before, but I need help finding the best piano room for classical/new age in or around NYC. I already know about Arts and Letters (no piano) and Merkin (too expensive/low availability).

What I REALLY want is a small or medium church in the outer boros with a good piano and room sound. Anyone who can help me will have my eternal gratitude and perhaps the chance to help on some sessions. This is a nagging problem we've had for over a year. Thanks!
I recorded in Merkin and it was not the best room (and piano, as well) I ever met.

I'd recommend the Bard College upstate NY. About 2 hours drive from NYC. Very reasonable with excellent acoustics. The piano (American Steinway D) was reconditioned not long ago and the guys are pleasure to deal with. I recorded there about 7 commercial albums with V. Feltsman. If you are interested let me know and I can send you some sound samples and contact info.

Best, M
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Adelphi University, about 30 minutes outside NYC on Long Island, has a new concert and recital facility that's available for rental. The concert hall has a new 9 ft. Faziloi grand, and the smaller recital hall has a new 7 ft. Faziloi grand. I've played them both and they are beautiful pianos. Both halls have extensive acoustic treatments, and while not "huge" sounding, are extremely smooth.

Here's a link to the website... scroll to the bottom for rental info (pdf's).

Long Island Theatres | Performing Arts Venues
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Not sure what your budget is, but LeFrak Concert Hall at Queens College is pretty good acoustically and, as I recall, they have 2 American Steinway D's.

I don't think these are the world's most amazing piano's, but to my recollection they are decent.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Nut

LeFrak hall

does anyone have rates and contacts for LeFrak hall or anything else in queens? This might be perfect.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Searsound Studio A

Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Clearly the best is Carnegie Hall.

The Academy of Arts and Letters is a great place too. There one brings in their piano of choice with an easy in and out. Since it is right next to a cemetery, it is very quiet there.

Otherwise, get out of town to upstate (Troy) or hang out in Queens (probably the best option).
Old 26th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekis View Post
Has an incredible Steinway. This place looks good too:

Oktaven audiO : Recording Studio for Classical, Jazz, and Acoustic Musicians
Yes, Sear Sound studio A has a vintage Steinway C. Best piano in any studio in NYC. Sear studio C has a Steinway D (9') concert grand that is pretty good but the piano in A is somethin' else!

KAS in queens has a Mason & Hamlin AA and the room is outstanding.
Old 7th April 2017
Here for the gear

The Samurai Hotel. Has a Steinway D and very high ceilings.
Old 7th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marik View Post
I recorded in Merkin and it was not the best room (and piano, as well) I ever met.

I'd recommend the Bard College upstate NY. About 2 hours drive from NYC. Very reasonable with excellent acoustics. The piano (American Steinway D) was reconditioned not long ago and the guys are pleasure to deal with. I recorded there about 7 commercial albums with V. Feltsman. If you are interested let me know and I can send you some sound samples and contact info.

Best, M
I recorded Piers Lane and the Orchestra at Bard College in January. Great room, but the piano was in rough shape. It really had trouble staying in tune.
Old 7th April 2017
Lives for gear

I have said it before: a ride to JFK, a ticket to Brussels, a nice hotel and the Royal Conservatory which has two nice Steinway D's.

I will be a lot cheaper too, just a lot more difficult to plan.
Old 8th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
I have said it before: a ride to JFK, a ticket to Brussels, a nice hotel and the Royal Conservatory which has two nice Steinway D's.

I will be a lot cheaper too, just a lot more difficult to plan.
Do you get a commission from the Belgian Tourist Office now?
(Actually, I'm sure it would be great.)
Old 8th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjazzdad View Post
Do you get a commission from the Belgian Tourist Office now?
(Actually, I'm sure it would be great.)
Alas, I don't. They should actually
The last 5 years I had one LA based and one NYC based pianist come over and record a full CD, it is great and not impossible to do !

I am aiming at an average of 1/year though
Old 8th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
.... Otherwise, get out of town to upstate (Troy)...
Listen to the man! We've got a glorious Steinway at the Music Hall.
Old 8th April 2017
Gear Nut

Oktaven Audio

is a really great new studio and fantastic engineer/owner, when I was there there were two grand pianos to choose. And not far from the city.

bojan_1
Old 9th April 2017
Lives for gear

Old 14th April 2017
Here for the gear

In terms of classical piano recordings, where a reverberant sound is desired:

The Academy of Arts and Letters is the main place for classical piano recording in NYC. Steinway will deliver the piano of the artist's choice for cartage fees. The cemetery is not so quiet in the summertime- lawn mowing can happen at anytime and for that reason, the rental rate in the summer is lower. Not to mention the heat in the un-airconditioned hall/control room...drink lots of water and plan on a shower before dinner.

LeFrak is not bad acoustically, but on the dry side. I wouldn't think of it as the kind of sound for solo piano recording. I only remember one piano there and it works well for chamber music recording. Jane Cho is the contact there.

Troy Savings Bank, amazing acoustics, but impossibly noisy. You'll lose 25% of recording time to traffic noise. Troy is gentrifying and the area around the concert hall is busy with a fair amount of traffic, not to mention construction.
They have a piano, but I can't comment on the quality of it. Also, the stage is raked, and not sure how it would work for solo pianist in terms of comfort. I would guess they have some kind of offsetting platforms....

SUNY Purchase- not as beautiful sounding as the Academy in terms of reverb quality, but adequate. Dead quiet and excellent Steinway D.

Good luck!
Old 14th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan_1 View Post
Oktaven Audio

is a really great new studio and fantastic engineer/owner, when I was there there were two grand pianos to choose. And not far from the city.

bojan_1
I know this is an old thread, but I just recorded at Oktaven Audio. The engineer/owner is a classical composer and the room sounds great. Two pianos, a NY Steinway D from the '50s and a fairly new Hamburg Steinway D.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search