The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: ,

Studer A779 / Revox C279
Old 1st January 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Hello patrickcrisp,

Thank you for your C279 questions. Phantom on the console is switched globally and not on a per channel basis. So phantom is either off or on for all channels.

Only with the C279 expansion chassis which sits on the bottom of the console does the C279 offer aux send / return.

On the standard console you can tap into an after-fader unbalanced channel output on a RCA connector. This could be returned from a reverb unit into two channels of the console for reverb return.

The return would also be unbalanced on RCA inputs.

Studer A779 console offers full console functionality with auxes, tape monitor return, studio monitor output etc.
Thank you Plush
Old 1st January 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hello patrickcrisp,
Studer A779 console offers full console functionality with auxes, tape monitor return, studio monitor output etc.
Also, does the 779 or mr8 have phantom power selectable by channel?
Old 12th January 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickcrisp View Post
Also, does the 779 or mr8 have phantom power selectable by channel?
patrickcrisp - no, A779 nor MR8 do not have channel selectable phantom, only global one.
However, if you are worried for non-condensor mics, it is said that phantom voltage shouldn't affect or damage dynamic mics, plugged on other channels... AFAIK. But better check what manual states. I tried once and my SM57 survived normally.

Wow, this thread still alive after almost 10 years...

Thanks for all the answers people. Not to hijack the thread, I just started new one, with little meditation on C279 / A779 circuits here:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high...l#post10713188
Old 12th January 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog greg View Post
patrickcrisp - no, A779 nor MR8 do not have channel selectable phantom, only global one.
However, if you are worried for non-condensor mics, it is said that phantom voltage shouldn't affect or damage dynamic mics, plugged on other channels... AFAIK. But better check what manual states. I tried once and my SM57 survived normally.

Wow, this thread still alive after almost 10 years...

Thanks for all the answers people. Not to hijack the thread, I just started new one, with little meditation on C279 / A779 circuits here:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high...l#post10713188
Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure I'd risk it without using something like a Cloudlifter that was suggested by another user. I'll check out your new thread!
Old 26th May 2015
Here for the gear
Hi Plush
Sorry I am wondering ~
if I wanna use XLR from DA to C279
is it only can use 6ch?
if I wanna use all it 12ch,I have to use Stereo RCA ?
sorry ~kind confusing...hope you can help me to understand~
thanks a lot~

Quote:
Hello patrickcrisp,

Thank you for your C279 questions. Phantom on the console is switched globally and not on a per channel basis. So phantom is either off or on for all channels.

Only with the C279 expansion chassis which sits on the bottom of the console does the C279 offer aux send / return.

On the standard console you can tap into an after-fader unbalanced channel output on a RCA connector. This could be returned from a reverb unit into two channels of the console for reverb return.

The return would also be unbalanced on RCA inputs.

Old 26th May 2015
Gear Head

Studer A779

...If I understand you correctly, Yes, if you use XLR's from your interface you will only be able to have 6 mono balanced line in channels.

However, you can have 12 (6 stereo pairs) via RCA unbalanced line ins.

I use my A779 stereo rca unbalanced ins all the time with wonderful results.
Old 27th May 2015
Here for the gear
hey urbanopolis~
Thank you so much~
I just wanna make sure if its right~
because I used use XLR signal then RCA....
and another question is ...if you use RCA..does 1 fader control 2 ch?
Old 27th May 2015
Gear Head

Yes, 1 fader for both L/R RCA's. Use the Pan pot to balance.

That get you 6 stereo pairs running through this little beast.

I usually make stereo groups in my DAW and send them to the stereo inputs on the studer. (drums, guitars, keys. etc.) and leave a few channels open for vocal treating.

So if I have 3 stereo groups that leaves 3 channels left for mono sources to treat individually.

This A779 routing is , for me , just outstanding. And the console has a very pleasing sound.

I actually like it better than the 169 I had. Yes, the eq is minimal and the preamps are a tad different (or the same I have heard)
But the routing and input/output options are unbelievable on this small gem.

Also I don't think you are suppose to use the RCA inputs and the XLR inputs at the same time on on the individual channels on theses Studers. So when you're plugged in RCA on a channel don't plug in the XLR on that same channel and visa versa...

best,

joe
Old 27th May 2015
Lives for gear

Yes you choose mono balanced
xlr or a stereo channel (not panable) on unbalanced rca.

The console is a 6x2 console.
Old 28th May 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanopolis View Post

This A779 routing is , for me , just outstanding. And the console has a very pleasing sound.

I actually like it better than the 169 I had. Yes, the eq is minimal and the preamps are a tad different (or the same I have heard)
But the routing and input/output options are unbelievable on this small gem.

Agreed. Detail I like is having a transformer preamps on main outputs, and on effect returns. That's 2 more channels with great line level preamps, if you need them (when not needing effect returns).

Preamps are a tad different on A779, being younger than 196, and less discrete. A779 goes towards 80's sound, but surely Studer people knew what they were doing.
Old 1st June 2015
Here for the gear
hey~
Thank you guys a lot~
it's very useful help to me~
thanks!!!!
Old 6th December 2015
Here for the gear

Output levels on Revox C279

Hey guys,

I recently bought a C279, and I found the direct outputs levels very low, both pre and post fader.
For example, I send a 0dBFS peak 1k sine from my protools to RME Fireface UC (I can't measure dBU but it doesn't matter in that case)
then line in in a C279 channel
at minimum gain, fader and master at unity (0) the master PPM shows 0dB, and the PFL PPM of my strip shows the same 0dB

However, when I route the master to a new PT channel (no gain in the fireface line in) I get -10 dbFS on the master (unbalanced, output level switch at +4dBu unbalanced) and only -17dBFS for the direct out unbalanced.
I have the same results on all channels, so it does not look like an output stage problem on one channel. Master output level balanced

I'm very surprised by this difference in levels (7dB) between master out and direct out.
Do you have the same kind of output levels on your C279s?
Old 6th December 2015
Geariophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLeon View Post
Hey guys,

I recently bought a C279, and I found the direct outputs levels very low, both pre and post fader.
For example, I send a 0dBFS peak 1k sine from my protools to RME Fireface UC (I can't measure dBU but it doesn't matter in that case)
then line in in a C279 channel
at minimum gain, fader and master at unity (0) the master PPM shows 0dB, and the PFL PPM of my strip shows the same 0dB

However, when I route the master to a new PT channel (no gain in the fireface line in) I get -10 dbFS on the master (unbalanced, output level switch at +4dBu unbalanced) and only -17dBFS for the direct out unbalanced.
I have the same results on all channels, so it does not look like an output stage problem on one channel. Master output level balanced

I'm very surprised by this difference in levels (7dB) between master out and direct out.
Do you have the same kind of output levels on your C279s?
That's actually a dB over then as your PT is likely calibrated as -18dBFS = 0dBU.

Look up the difference between dBFS (=dB full scale), which is a digital scale and stops at 0 and the analog ones. Not the same.
Old 7th December 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
That's actually a dB over then as your PT is likely calibrated as -18dBFS = 0dBU.

Look up the difference between dBFS (=dB full scale), which is a digital scale and stops at 0 and the analog ones. Not the same.
Hey Karloff

Thanks for your answer.
I'm pretty aware of the differences between dBFS and dBu and how they match.
Please note my signal generator in PT is set at 0dBFS peak, so the direct out at -17dBFS peak is not 1 dB over, it is 17 dB under.

What I'm surprised of is the difference between the Direct Outs' level (-17dBFS) relatively to the master out level (-10dBFS) with the same signal, channel and master faders at unity.

I don't care about the absolute values, my problem here is that 7dB difference, which should be the same in dBU, VU, LUFS or whatever. The unit isn't important since we talk of a comparison of levels and not the level itself.

Anyway to keep it practical, it means that if I want to keep a channel's peak level around 0 PPM on the C279, I will get around -17dBFS on PT. That's not much....
Old 7th December 2015
Geariophile

I completely misunderstood you, sorry. I thought you had something at 0dB on the desk going into PT and showing -17dBFS on input......
Old 13th January 2016
Here for the gear

Revox c279 connection question.

Please if someone can help me and give an idea how i can get the best in terms of connection out of the revox c279. I want actually to connect it with my audio interface. Its an rme fireface 400. Do i need extra gear? Thanks in advance
Old 13th January 2016
Lives for gear

The 279 is a 6 x 2 (stereo) console. That said, it does offer unbalanced direct outs on RCA sockets
These can be selected as pre or post fader.
Old 13th January 2016
Here for the gear

Plush thank you for the response! What i dont get is that, can i use just un socket of rca, lets say the post fade and connect it with the output of the audio interface?
Old 13th January 2016
Here for the gear

The only problem is that my audio interface has only balanced inputs and outputs :/
Old 13th January 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bledi238 View Post
The only problem is that my audio interface has only balanced inputs and outputs :/
Download the FF400 manual from the rme site. The inputs are servo balanced 1/4" TRS jacks but they will also handle mono unbalanced signals from 1/4" TS phone plugs. Just buy or make a couple of rca > 1/4" phone adaptors..
Old 20th January 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bledi238 View Post
Plush thank you for the response! What i dont get is that, can i use just un socket of rca, lets say the post fade and connect it with the output of the audio interface?
..you want to connect the rca (pre or post fader) from the Revox channel to an INPUT channel of your interface. rca to 1/4"

I depends on what you trying to achieve?

Are you trying to use the Revox as preamps to the interface for tracking or are you trying to use it to mix the output channels through the console, or both?

Both are possible

I'm just not clear what you are intending?

joe m
Old 27th January 2016
Gear Nut

Tom M is correct. Don't worry about the unbalanced / balanced with your FF400. It can accept both.

I made up cables for both tracking and mixing with my c279. I made ten rca —> 1/4" (unbalanced) for tracking with the c279 into the an interface, but I also made six 1/4" —> XLR M (balanced) for mixing signals from an interface and into the mixer.

Lets say you are using the little console as a front end to a location recorder (say SD788t). You do have some flexibility as to how you use each channel of the mixer. As Plush hinted at earlier, you can also run an unbalanced stereo pair into a single channel on the mixer. This could come in handy if you need to free up a channel for something else. But, at that point, you are running unbalanced into it, so that's a consideration.

I love my c279. I use very often. I like its sonics and it has a small size. It's in a Gator case with some DAV preamps and an interface, with my Sound Devices recorder sitting along side—with this I can do a nice small channel count recording with a backup system running. The mixer has been a great tool and people love the built in speaker!
Old 4th February 2016
Lives for gear
Old 12th October 2016
Here for the gear
Hello I'm an electronic producer with about 14 years experience. I'm a live sound engineer by trade so I have access to many sound systems. Now granted I like my mixes for the most part (please check my soundcloud) but I can't help but notice a difference in my mixes during my sound checks to people who I know who use analogue summing. Granted I think I'm talking about slight differences in "color" but I do think I notice an "open" sound and definitely a louder mix to people I know aren't that experienced (albeit an admiration for their sound). So am I bull****ting myself into thinking my digital productions could benefit from an analogue summing from either of these two mixers, or is it worth the money? Also when concerning money I haven't exactly gotten a reliable statistic to what these mixers cost, I assume either are at least $1300 USD but please correct me if I'm wrong please.
Old 30th December 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenick93 View Post
Hello I'm an electronic producer with about 14 years experience. I'm a live sound engineer by trade so I have access to many sound systems. Now granted I like my mixes for the most part (please check my soundcloud) but I can't help but notice a difference in my mixes during my sound checks to people who I know who use analogue summing. Granted I think I'm talking about slight differences in "color" but I do think I notice an "open" sound and definitely a louder mix to people I know aren't that experienced (albeit an admiration for their sound). So am I bull****ting myself into thinking my digital productions could benefit from an analogue summing from either of these two mixers, or is it worth the money? Also when concerning money I haven't exactly gotten a reliable statistic to what these mixers cost, I assume either are at least $1300 USD but please correct me if I'm wrong please.

from countless threads here on gearslutz, my impression is that analog mixing/ summing still has an edge over ITB mixing, it is sort of a 'general consensus'.

now, small revox/studers would be good for that, having pretty clean sound with only a slight coloration, and very high specs.
yes, one could expect to find them around $1300 in usa, maybe cheaper in europe.
however they would give you only 6 stereo channels (and stereo RCA inputs dont even go thru main IC preamp, iirc) or 6 mono inputs which can go thru transformers.
personally, i do my mixes on studer A779 with nice results because often i work with few channels only (and i can handle that without automation, 'old school'). when i need more, i take sub-mixer.

so there are larger studers like 962 (expensive!), or better channel/price ratio with desks like soundcraft ghost/ delta/ 200 series, or possibly some high-end models of midas, a&h, etc...
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

This is a really 'green' question, but suppose I want the flexibility to track using external mic preamps, can I completely bypass the channel pre's on the Revox c279?

I gather that the onboard pre's are very good, I am just wondering if I can also employ more colored pre's up front when tracking calls for it.

Thanks.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

westbrookmusic:

As hinted at earlier in this thread the C279 has Mic and Line inputs. If you want to use outboard mic pres you will need to use the Line inputs. I often use my C279 this way.

If you want to bypass the input transformers on the balanced line inputs you can use the rca inputs instead.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by brhoward View Post
If you want to bypass the input transformers on the balanced line inputs

are you sure that balanced line inputs are routed to transformers?
i always thought that only mic inputs go to transformers. checked the schematics many years ago, so not sure anymore.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
I have a C279. Only the mic inputs go through transformers. Thhe balanced and unbalanced line inputs do not. See attachment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brhoward View Post
westbrookmusic:

As hinted at earlier in this thread the C279 has Mic and Line inputs. If you want to use outboard mic pres you will need to use the Line inputs. I often use my C279 this way.

If you want to bypass the input transformers on the balanced line inputs you can use the rca inputs instead.
Attached Thumbnails
Studer A779 / Revox C279-3c2d49a2-8cb2-4326-acd8-9be8dd3081b7.jpg  

Last edited by bwanajim; 1 week ago at 07:35 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwanajim View Post
I have a C279. Only the mic inputs go through transformers. This he balanced and unbalanced line inputs do not. See attachment.
Thanks for clearing that up. I read an unclear post about this in the past, and was mislead.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search