The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , ,

iLok - seriously?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #61
Lives for gear
 
tourtelot's Avatar
Yeah. Apparently, a lot of people hate the Pro Tools subscription model but for my money, auto updates of all things PT related is worth the other aggravation.

D.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #62
Lives for gear
 
fwet's Avatar
I agree with you, its hard for me to believe people actually want to carry around an Ilok dongle.
Old 5 days ago
  #63
Lives for gear
 
TornadoTed's Avatar
I really like hardware iLok, I don't get the hate, it is by far my favourite method of copy protection. I just changed computer and all of the non iLok plugins had to be re-authorized and of course because it was a new computer I didn't have the passwords saved so I had to go through the process of forgot password, getting an email, resetting password, finding my authorisation code for every single plugin, seriously tedious. The iLok plugins have none of that bother, just install and the license is there. I go between the commercial studio I run and my home studio and I just take my iLok with me, so simple.
Old 5 days ago
  #64
Lives for gear
 
TornadoTed's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by w_stylz View Post
Everything used to be authorized on your hard disk meaning that if your computer crashed or you wanted to do work on another machine, you couldn't. Now, with a simple USB key, you can install most software on any machine you like and use it all over the world. You also don't have to keep track of the authorizations. Yes there is a 1 time $50 entry fee to pay but it is a small price to pay to enter the amazingly powerful world of computer music making. Otherwise. you could always buy a 4 track tape machine or hire an orchestra.

BTW, you can download the authorization onto your ILOK on any computer with internet and then plug the key into your music computer. It is easier than you think!
Exactly, near perfect system in my opinion.
Old 5 days ago
  #65
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by w_stylz View Post
Everything used to be authorized on your hard disk meaning that if your computer crashed or you wanted to do work on another machine, you couldn't. Now, with a simple USB key, you can install most software on any machine you like and use it all over the world. You also don't have to keep track of the authorizations. Yes there is a 1 time $50 entry fee to pay but it is a small price to pay to enter the amazingly powerful world of computer music making. Otherwise. you could always buy a 4 track tape machine or hire an orchestra.

BTW, you can download the authorization onto your ILOK on any computer with internet and then plug the key into your music computer. It is easier than you think!
To me it seems very easy to loose or forget this small Ilok thing esp. when you work both in the studio and remote. Ilok and remote job, a bad combination.
Old 5 days ago
  #66
Lives for gear
 
loujudson's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adorno View Post
To me it seems very easy to loose or forget this small Ilok thing esp. when you work both in the studio and remote. Ilok and remote job, a bad combination.
I have the old iLok with my laptop and PT 10 and Waves 8, because at one point in upgrading I got a new set, so I have PT 12 and Waves 9 with a new type ilok on my main work Mac.

When I do remotes I have the iLok on a lanyard and wear it around my neck on the way to and from...

Works for me!
Old 5 days ago
  #67
Lives for gear
 
jnorman's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
I no longer use any of the software I have bought that uses the iLok system. Since my studio is laptop based, and I recently purchased a Lenovo yoga 910, which has only one USB port which hosts my interface, I have no viable way of using an iLok dongle any more. I tried a 4 port USB unit but had glitches. For those who use more than one studio I can see the benefit, but for me, iLok is no longer part of my workflow.
Old 4 days ago
  #68
Lives for gear
 
w_stylz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adorno View Post
To me it seems very easy to loose or forget this small Ilok thing esp. when you work both in the studio and remote. Ilok and remote job, a bad combination.
Well that's possible. Part of being an engineer is attention to detail so I would recommend that detail of making sure you have your key which has your job tools on it.
If you were a chef you would bring your knives. If you worked for a large company you would probably need your name badge or keys. Some software doesn't need ilok protection and many companies give multiple Authorizations if you need a second one. Good luck.
Old 4 days ago
  #69
Lives for gear
 
loujudson's Avatar
An iLok is about the size of a car key.

Think about it.

I hated them when they first came out, but got over it.
Old 4 days ago
  #70
Lives for gear
 

Iloks and other dongles can and do screw up. They are a digital storage device, so that screw up is a WHEN not an IF. So one needs a plan. I think iLoks are clumsy and a kludgey, inconvenient method of protecting the sellers of software, but I also think it is an interim technology and will pass in favor of something better (and probably more expensive) soon. Meanwhile they are kind of unavoidable if you want to use certain apps and plugins.
Old 4 days ago
  #71
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by w_stylz View Post
Well that's possible. Part of being an engineer is attention to detail so I would recommend that detail of making sure you have your key which has your job tools on it.
If you were a chef you would bring your knives. If you worked for a large company you would probably need your name badge or keys. Some software doesn't need ilok protection and many companies give multiple Authorizations if you need a second one. Good luck.
From everything I use, I have multiple pieces of replacement equipment, and I take enough reserve tools with me to remote gigs. I only own one iLok, that was what I received, no one asked if I needed reserves or back-ups. I still find it a veryr unprofessional solution.
Old 4 days ago
  #72
Lives for gear
 
loujudson's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adorno View Post
From everything I use, I have multiple pieces of replacement equipment, and I take enough reserve tools with me to remote gigs. I only own one iLok, that was what I received, no one asked if I needed reserves or back-ups. I still find it a veryr unprofessional solution.
There is a Zeru Downtime option. Buy a second emoty one, and get back online quickkly. $30 a year.

https://ilok.com/#!zdt-details

Having ZDT is a professional solution!
Old 4 days ago
  #73
Lives for gear
 
ionian's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by loujudson View Post
Having ZDT is a professional solution!
You should try asking the people who've had to use it...
Old 3 days ago
  #74
Lives for gear
 
loujudson's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
You should try asking the people who've had to use it...
Oh really? I let mine expire... do tell!
Old 1 day ago
  #75
Gear Maniac
My iLOK stays plugged into my computer but recently has decided to be recognized half the the time. Requires
rebooting my computer-very annoying!
Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 
 
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
recall / Music Computers
61
mahasandi / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
2
jimmydeluxe / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
4
pigcat / So much gear, so little time!
11
blackcom / Music Computers
12

Forum Jump