The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , ,

Superlux s502
Old 9th January 2011
Lives for gear

Talking Superlux s502

I am a proud owner of a SCHOEPS MSTC 64 UG and that is a very fine microphone however I just discovered a similar mic for 99,- Euros on thomann's website. Did anybody of you tried it?

SUPERLUX S502
Old 9th January 2011
Yes, a good one if you don't have enough Schoeps in hand. Certianly they are not in the same league, but the S502 did a good job (I would say a better job) comparing with popular $500 range name brands mics. As this could be the only spaced stereo mic versus other popluar XY coincident stereo mic.

I either buy absoultely the best one such as Schoeps, or I buy the best C/P products. The logic is simple, I save the money for the best one later on.

In the concert today, I use this S502 for this lovely Bosendorfer, and a Schoeps CCM22 for violin (Bergonzi), another CCM22 for cello, and a DPA 4061 for clarinet.
Attached Thumbnails
Superlux s502-s502_1.jpg  
Old 9th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9sbean View Post
In the concert today, I use this S502 for this lovely Bosendorfer, and a Schoeps CCM22 for violin (Bergonzi), another CCM22 for cello, and a DPA 4061 for clarinet.
Can you post samples?
Old 10th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkautzsch View Post
Can you post samples?
Since the content is copyrighted, all I can post at this moment is the piano tunning.
Old 10th January 2011
Lives for gear

Old 10th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matti View Post
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-mu...x-s241-u3.html

Probably these have the same capsules, sample down the page

Matti
It is basically the same to my understanding. But the capsules cannot be exchanged. S241 capsule is very thin, where the rear chamber remain on the pre-amp. Capsule on S502 is much thicker, which include the rear chamber.

Why the price is so low? Here are my guess list:
1. Superlux is not famous?
2. Superlux want to expand the market?
3. Made in China, for sure.
4. Make everything in house, highly possible.
5. Price was wrong? Could be, but they are always low price.

IMHO, it is not a replacement to any Schoeps or DPA, but a very good tool when you don't have enough Schoeps and DPA, and thinking to add some mics from Audio Technica, Rode, Shure, Beyer dynamic, sE Electronics, Sennheiser (lower price models)....
Superlux save you some money for your future Schoeps or DPA.
Old 10th January 2011
Lives for gear

Copy Cat
Old 10th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaston69 View Post
Copy Cat
Yes, go for Schoeps. Wish I can add some more this year.
Old 10th January 2011
Lives for gear

I really love the schoeps, not only because of the mics (obviously) but also because the fixed ortf is precisely right to my ears..
If they copied the exact ortf dimensions, this superlux might be nice?
Very curious, I would buy one to try out if I didn't have acces to two schoeps ortf pairs already..
Old 10th January 2011
Lives for gear

Now that I have no experiences with these mics, I would be happy to try.
If I understand these are made in Taiwan, bit different from mainland China
-no politics here , please

Matti
Old 11th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matti View Post
Now that I have no experiences with these mics, I would be happy to try.
If I understand these are made in Taiwan, bit different from mainland China
-no politics here , please

Matti
Superlux is a Taiwan company. The factories are in China. If these are made in Taiwan, I don't think the price to be the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaston69 View Post
Copy Cat
Superlux E523 looks like Audio Technica AT-825
Superlux E524 looks like Rode NT4 (I prefer the slender E524 for video works, it's black and slender, not too obvious in the picture.)
Superlux S502 looks like Schoeps MSTC64
Superlux HD681 looks like AKG K241
Superlux S241 looks like AKG C451
Superlux HA3 looks like Sound Devices HX-3

It's a pitty, since Superlux does sound OK to me. Very good for my lower price project, since I cannot charge the same compared with the concert with Schoeps.
Old 11th January 2011
Lives for gear

I think someday this year I will do a compare between this and Schoeps ortf,
give me some months though

Matti

P.S. Thanks for the info
Old 11th January 2011
Lives for gear

The SUPERLUX S502 is EU99. Add shipping and it would come to less than USD200. Is anyone thinking of trying this rig out?
Old 11th January 2011
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum View Post
The SUPERLUX S502 is EU99. Add shipping and it would come to less than USD200. Is anyone thinking of trying this rig out?
Prevoius poster said he will ...
Old 20th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9sbean View Post
Yes, a good one if you don't have enough Schoeps in hand.
+1.

I tested it. Much better sound that I what I was expecting. I did not perform any direct comparison but I think that it is better than the usual 300€/$-a-pair candidates like Oktava MK-012 and Rode NT5 when used in the same ORTF configuration.
Old 20th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by didier.brest View Post
+1.

I tested it. Much better sound that I what I was expecting. I did not perform any direct comparison but I think that it is better than the usual 300€/$-a-pair candidates like Oktava MK-012 and Rode NT5 when used in the same ORTF configuration.
thumbsup
It will be very interesting to let people compare the sound without letting them know the price first.
No one felt Superlux is better compared with Schoeps in my experience. Most people don't feel obvious difference when testing under ordinary environment. Difference become apparent when background noise is very low.
When they know the price, everyone was shock. Either this one is too low, or the other one is too high.
Old 21st January 2011
Gear Nut

this seems like a solution to a quick set up, when recording pipe organs, but would miss the "lows" with it being cardoid, shame tho
Peter
Old 23rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Here a comparative test. It is not blind since there is a pic of the microphones.heh
Attached Thumbnails
Superlux s502-dscf0868.jpg  
Attached Files

1.wav (7.58 MB, 14439 views)

2.wav (7.58 MB, 12937 views)

3.wav (7.58 MB, 13298 views)

Old 24th January 2011
Thanks! My preference:
3> 1 >2
Old 24th January 2011
Gear Nut

yes, I liked version 3 as well,
Old 24th January 2011
Lives for gear

1 is rather dark, the higher strings sound a little colored. I like the bass strings best in this version.
2 is closest to what I guess the piano sounds in the room by the picture.
3 is a little more transparent (or trebly, depends on how you define trebly) and sounds more like a studio recording, however I think the middle range strings are a bit too dry compared to low and high range.

I have my guess which sample is from which mic, but not gonna post it yet so nobody is prejudiced.
Old 25th January 2011
Gear Maniac

At this price and with these results, I'm gonna buy one to try!
Old 25th January 2011
Old 25th January 2011
Gear Nut

Thanks for the link Ozpeter,
I am going to purchase a tascam DR100 in the next few weeks, and I think I will get this to, it will make an addition to my little zoom. And will give it a wirl in a cathrdral in Liverpool soon, it looks like it may be just as good as a pair of rode55 in omni
Old 26th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Allison View Post
Thanks for the link Ozpeter,
I am going to purchase a tascam DR100 in the next few weeks, and I think I will get this to, it will make an addition to my little zoom. And will give it a wirl in a cathrdral in Liverpool soon, it looks like it may be just as good as a pair of rode55 in omni
Good combination. My simple and fast setup with video will be S502 direct to Sony EX1 camera.

It will be even better to incorporating a Sound Devices MixPre which provides peak limiter and better mic pre. One more benefit is MixPre got balanced output for EX1 and un-balanced output for pocket digital recorder such as Sony M10, D50, Tascam DR-2D, DR-3, DR-7, Roland R-05, Olympus LS-10, LS-11, Zoom H1, H2... Double system, fail safe.heh
Old 1st February 2011
Gear Addict
Ordered one today, let's see :-)

edit: arrived today, feels sturdy and carefully manufactured, looks nice, in plastic case, nicely packaged.
for the eye: value for money (or more @ €106).

Last edited by heva; 3rd February 2011 at 10:49 AM.. Reason: arrived
Old 3rd February 2011
Gear Addict
For those interested, this is what this S502 looks from inside:
Attached Thumbnails
Superlux s502-s502-01.jpg   Superlux s502-s502-02.jpg  
Old 3rd February 2011
Gear Nut

I was made unemployed on tuesday, so will treat myself to one I think, and lets face it, it will be a step up from my "humble" H2. Will just borrow a Tascam DAP1, till the DR100 arrives next month
Old 4th February 2011
Gear Maniac

I got mine too.

Still haven't had the chance to try it out in concert, but upon functional trial, I found that it took quite a lot of handling noise. Despite fitted on the included rubber mount, it received a higher transmitted sound when I poked on the micstand, when compared to my AKG blue line SDC. This is partially improved by using a rubber-band suspension type shockmount.
Old 4th February 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by claying View Post
I got mine too.

Still haven't had the chance to try it out in concert, but upon functional trial, I found that it took quite a lot of handling noise. Despite fitted on the included rubber mount, it received a higher transmitted sound when I poked on the micstand, when compared to my AKG blue line SDC. This is partially improved by using a rubber-band suspension type shockmount.
Yes, a better shock mount is needed. I use a HM-40 (for S241) to replace the supplied rubber mount.
Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search