The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , ,

Superlux s502
Old 20th December 2016
  #331
Here for the gear
 

Old 21st December 2016
  #332
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnberry View Post
s502 sample:


Yonder Mountain String Band
Wanee Music Festival '15

Superlux s502 > Tascam DR-100 mk2 @ 48 kHZ/24 bit

converted to mp3 (master file sounds much better)

https://soundcloud.com/user203526/yo...wn-s502-sample
Nice recording, the band reminds me a little of The Gourds. Sounds like a mono PA source, was the S502 in front of the speaker or between the pair of FOH stacks ?
Old 24th December 2016
  #333
Here for the gear
 

Oh dear, I should not have posted this hideous record back then. Anyways, I still enjoy recording our (very) amateur orchestra using just the S502, a Scarlett 2i2 and my Smartphone (yes I know, I know... I'll switch to a Laptop next time)
I'd still like to show you that even for noob like me, the results are rather pleasant.
I might get to record some chamber music in the future, that'd be nice....

Here's us playing the Egmont Overture.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bt046y2xvz...gmont.mp3?dl=0
Old 24th December 2016
  #334
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalashnikirby View Post
Oh dear, I should not have posted this hideous record back then. Anyways, I still enjoy recording our (very) amateur orchestra using just the S502, a Scarlett 2i2 and my Smartphone (yes I know, I know... I'll switch to a Laptop next time)
I'd still like to show you that even for noob like me, the results are rather pleasant.
I might get to record some chamber music in the future, that'd be nice....

Here's us playing the Egmont Overture.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bt046y2xvz...gmont.mp3?dl=0
That's a nice capture...although the reverb seems a bit over the top. What sort of venue is it recorded in ?
Old 24th December 2016
  #335
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
That's a nice capture...although the reverb seems a bit over the top. What sort of venue is it recorded in ?
Thanks! It's a church, so you are certainly correct A sound engineer recommended getting an Overhead Standy so I'm collecting some money for a Superlux MS 200, hopefully this will improve on the Winds' parts... we are sitting way too far in the back.
Old 28th January 2017
  #336
Lives for gear
Here's the 502 as a vocal duet mic, with MKH8020 pair as piano tail spot...although a lot of piano came into the vocal mic also
Attached Thumbnails
Superlux s502-vlcsnap-6101-09-04-12h26m43s819.jpg  
Attached Files

2 Parting songs edit.mp3 (9.02 MB, 1984 views)

Old 12th March 2017
  #337
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Nice recording, the band reminds me a little of The Gourds. Sounds like a mono PA source, was the S502 in front of the speaker or between the pair of FOH stacks ?

The mic was located at the FOH, center, 7.5 ft. high.
Old 5th June 2017
  #338
Lives for gear
Attached Files

Ritmico e cavalleresco.mp3 (4.24 MB, 890 views)

Old 8th June 2017
  #339
Lives for gear
In addition, here is something contemporary, faux-Czech and rhapsodic from the same concert
Attached Files

Galileo Figaro.mp3 (8.71 MB, 793 views)

Old 16th June 2017
  #340
Lives for gear
Something a bit Celtic/Gaelic for you..recorded today in a busy central city church (half-hearted but failed attempt at traffic noise redux)...S502 pair about 2.6 metres in the air, and mid-point across the ensemble..hope you enjoy...ORTF all the way !
Attached Files
Old 1 week ago
  #341
Lives for gear
Here is the S502, used in Floorcatcher®© mode as a stereo vocal spot for a Schubert song. About 2 metres in front of singer, at the lip of the stage

I'll include the mix of overhead pair plus spots on piano and voice, as well as the S502 as spot alone, so you can get an idea of its 'flavour' in this context.
Attached Files

An die Nachtigall mp3.mp3 (1.52 MB, 495 views)

An die Nachtigall spot pair only mp3.mp3 (1.35 MB, 445 views)


Last edited by studer58; 1 week ago at 05:00 AM..
Old 1 week ago
  #342
Gear Addict
Is it ok to say I prefer the S502 on its own? The piano has less body but I prefer the voice and the lack of heavy ambience.
Old 1 week ago
  #343
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsyourself View Post
Is it ok to say I prefer the S502 on its own? The piano has less body but I prefer the voice and the lack of heavy ambience.
Perfectly fine ! As you'd expect from a placement which turns it effectively into a boundary zone mic, there's an almost total negation of combing effects.... which frees it from that congestion of multiple arrival paths that we hear so often from stand mounted mics above a floor, we no longer question it. Until we're struck by its absence....
Old 1 week ago
  #344
Gear Nut
 
lukedamrosch's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsyourself View Post
Is it ok to say I prefer the S502 on its own? The piano has less body but I prefer the voice and the lack of heavy ambience.
I agree with this too, and very nice recording as always, studer

I have experimented a few times using smaller mics like my CM3s on the floor as boundary mics, but never in a near-coincident way like that... this makes me want to give it a try one day. If the singer was about 2m away, then presumably the piano was at least 3-4m away? Would not have guessed it would sound so crisp and defined from that distance at floor level.
Old 1 week ago
  #345
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukedamrosch View Post
I agree with this too, and very nice recording as always, studer

I have experimented a few times using smaller mics like my CM3s on the floor as boundary mics, but never in a near-coincident way like that... this makes me want to give it a try one day. If the singer was about 2m away, then presumably the piano was at least 3-4m away? Would not have guessed it would sound so crisp and defined from that distance at floor level.
Yes the singer stood in the traditional 'bend in the piano' location, so maybe the piano was 3m. Since the S502 is ORTF, you're going to get a little image-wander as the singer moves her head side to side, so maybe an xy cardioid boundary instead might have minimized that aspect.

It does throw the whole intended modus operandum into disarray: what was to be a simple overhead AB main pair plus tail pair piano spots plus ORTF floor pair voice spots, could well sound better as individual spot pairs augmented by the ambience from the overhead A-B, with balances chosen to minimize phasing artifacts between the pairs. That's clearly not the way it's supposed to work, but sometimes....

I'll supply you here with the AB pair alone and the piano pair alone, and in concert with the voice pair alone in the preceding post, you can assemble your own mix
Old 1 week ago
  #346
Gear Nut
 
lukedamrosch's Avatar
 

Thanks very much for providing the means to make this experiment!

My intuitive reaction after playing around with them for just a couple minutes was to mix them as follows:

Vocal pair: 0dBFS
Main pair: -8 to -10dBFS
Piano pair: -20dBFS

I really like how the boundary technique provides such a clear and un-strained foundation for augmentation by the other two pairs. Definitely plan to experiment with this sometime soon!

Using such a boundary array as the effective main pair (levels-wise in mixing) seems that it can offer intriguing "coincident-like" benefits of clarity and lack of comb/phase artifacts, while blending well with the appealing qualities of time-of-arrival stereophony..
Old 1 week ago
  #347
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukedamrosch View Post
Thanks very much for providing the means to make this experiment!

My intuitive reaction after playing around with them for just a couple minutes was to mix them as follows:

Vocal pair: 0dBFS
Main pair: -8 to -10dBFS
Piano pair: -20dBFS

I really like how the boundary technique provides such a clear and un-strained foundation for augmentation by the other two pairs. Definitely plan to experiment with this sometime soon!
That blend you cite sounds pretty good to me as well I'd never intended for the vocal spot to carry the weight of effectively becoming the main pair, but in this context it works....it seems a little iconoclastic and heretical, but if it works it works...and received wisdom can be handed back to the dispensers !
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 
 
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
dickiefunk / Low End Theory
28
TheArchitect / So much gear, so little time!
0
Farfensound / So much gear, so little time!
2
RSMITH123 / So much gear, so little time!
0

Forum Jump