The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , ,

Thinking about getting a mobile recording truck
Old 24th October 2011
Lives for gear

Working on it again. I got pretty busy selling gear and re-doing our regular studio. Looks like we'd be yanking the Capricorn out and selling it and the spare off and possibly putting in a Euphonix and a large DSD system.
I'd probably not be involved with much of the day to day stuff. Just excited to be making music with it again, hopefully soon.
Old 24th October 2011
Lives for gear

Post some pix of the changes you make! Good luck.

phil p
Old 29th November 2011
Lives for gear

Ok, So the truck is here and in much better shape than I thought. Guy drove it straight over from Nashville. I had my local "truck guy" check it out and he was extremely impressed with the condition.
Trying to work my way around the capricorn. I may keep it in for awhile until I can get a good deal on a Euphonix to toss in there.
Really fun history lesson as I look at the truck. All the original Wally Heider labeled communications/headset boxes are still in there. Receipts from when it was MARS ( Mobile Audio Recording Services) as well as some stuff with OMEGA labels.
Right now I'm just going through and getting things all cleaned up and straightened up, but I think it's going to be a clean little truck when it's all done. Alreay working on the first 3 or 4 recordings. First one is dec 12th so we are hauling ass trying to get this thing up and cooking. I'll post pics when I can.
Old 6th December 2011
Gear maniac

Can you post some pics?? Would love to see the truck.
Old 19th December 2011
Lives for gear

Well as soon as I figure out how to post pics I'll post some of the progress.
It's been like going through an archive. You can see all traces of history throughout the truck.
Receipts from various owners, etc. So far the coolest are the original "Wally Heider" Cue boxes that we are restoring to be used as our basic cue system. But we've found lots of stuff in there.
So far I can trace the ownership from Heider's to Mobile Audio Recording Services (MARS) out of Muscle Shoals. Then it seems they moved to Dallas and were then part of OMEGA productions. Either the console or the truck was then part of TNN as some of the disc with settings for the Capricorn were referenced with their stuff. Then Belmont University got ahold of it in some partnership with RCA Nashville and Oceanway.
Ive found some old pics of the original truck way back with Heider's that I'll post as well.
I am restoring the splitters that I guess date from the Frampton Comes Alive sessions that the original truck did. They are pretty cool and have Triad A67J transformers throughout. Ive already used the splitters on some Christmas sessions and they worked great. I guess "if it ain't broke..."
Having a spare Neve Capricorn has been handy as we've been able to pull additional cards and add more EQ/Filters and Compressors as well as more MADI ports.
The next step is to add a "guest panel" that we can also tie our Studer A800 into. What's that you say? A Studer and a digital board? Well I always say..what can make digital sound better? How about 2" analog tape?
We're really just having a lot of fun right now and not being too concerned with making this thing pay for itself. We just want to do what we've always set out to do and that's make some great recordings and we hope we can do that soon with this classic truck.
Old 20th December 2011
I had once entertained the idea of a small truck or stepvan as a mobile recording rig.

Then something happened. No more 500 lb. recorders, 8 foot long consoles, racks of extra stuff, etc. No more 300 foot snakes.

My current recorder is the same size/weight as my old Tascam cassette recorder. I have small 1RU 8 channel mic preamps and a small monitoring console.

I like being on set rather than off on some side street away from the action. That way I can react quickly. No more long snakes with their losses, I use short runs of quality data cable for very low loss. Snakes suck out the tops and digital solutions, no thanks, I don't need to digitize my mic feeds.

Now it all fits in the back of my 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, plus I can get anywhere with that lifted, modified off road Jeep.

"Honey, they shrunk the gear"!
Old 20th December 2011
Super Moderator

Aaron,

You already posted some pictures, so what gives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio1117 View Post
Well as soon as I figure out how to post pics I'll post some of the progress. <snip>
Old 21st December 2011
Lives for gear

Well when I go to post it says link to a website? To be honest it's been so loing I've honestly forgotten how.
Jim, I really think portable remote and large remote are 2 different worlds. I also have the little rig, but as I was sitting at the theater the other night with a full symphony, choir, solo singer and acoustic guitar in a little room off to the side of the stage with a pair of Beyer DT150's on...I was thinking man it would shure be nice to be isolated in a space I know and a large pair of genelec 1034's to listen on. Not to mention all of the extra gear that I couldnt bring along in an easy portable rig like my LA2a's and 1176's and countless other goodies.
Some gigs obviously dont require the "big rig" but whenever possible I'll choose the truck.
Oh yeah and Jim I have a Range Rover for my small rig so when your Jeep gives out and you need me to come pick you up to get the rest of the way to the gig up on top of that mountain, let me know. :-)

Last edited by studio1117; 21st December 2011 at 07:35 AM.. Reason: Add content
Old 21st December 2011
Lives for gear

Ah yes I have found the pic thingy. Here are some of the classic pics of the truck. As you can see the first pic is the original old truck. (white truck with GMC truck under). The other pic shows what the truck looks like now. The outside hasnt changed much since the later pic with the Kenworth underneath. When I get more work done inside, I'll post some of my own pics. The space that has been added under the original truck (where the driving cab was) Houses all the computers, recorders and power amps for the Genelecs, cues etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Thinking about getting a mobile recording truck-truck.jpg   Thinking about getting a mobile recording truck-515007_jpg_w560h423.jpg  
Old 21st December 2011
Quote:
Oh yeah and Jim I have a Range Rover for my small rig so when your Jeep gives out and you need me to come pick you up to get the rest of the way to the gig up on top of that mountain, let me know. :-)
That gave me a good laugh. Here in California, Range Rovers are bought by those that seem to think it will get them down to the local Starbucks after a earthquake. They are the "official" vehicle in Malibu, CA. The parking lots are full of them, all black.

Out here in the Anza-Borego desert, I've had a bit of fun with them.

Once I climbed out of a canyon where my 35" mud terrains and rear lockers were having some 'problems'. I had to manuver a bit to get out of that bad patch. On the way out, I passed a nice guy in a shiny new all Black (manditory here in California with our scorching summers, go figure) Range Rover. The nicely dressed metrosexual couple asked how the trail was.

I said, "it's fine, go for it". I never saw them again, maybe he's still out there?
I figured he had a better cell phone than me so he could probably call out for a rescue.

In reality, Rovers are never found in the places Jeepers go, unless they have an older model that's modified with lift kits, large tires, etc. It's just not safe to take those off road here. Watch some of those off road cable TV shows to see some of the rock crawling rigs we use out here. They are handy if you get a location recording gig at the top of a ski lift like at Snow Summit in Big Bear, CA. Beats shoving all the bits and pieces into a ski chair.
Old 21st December 2011
Lives for gear

Ah the old my (enter vehicle here) is better than a land rover story. I've owned em all. Range Rovers, Discovery's and Defenders even the weakest of them goes where others can not. We better agree to disagree or my fave agree that I'm right.
Actually I'm not much of an off roader to be honest so you could probably take a VW Beetle places I couldn't go with my Range Rover!!
Now I do have an old CJ5 that I should restore because it is the coolest looking little jeep in the world. I should be posting pics of that instead of the remote truck!!
Old 21st December 2011
Lives for gear

Found a couple older pics. one (B/W) from Heider days and one from MARS days "Big Blue"
Attached Thumbnails
Thinking about getting a mobile recording truck-remotetruck.jpg   Thinking about getting a mobile recording truck-truckmeasure.jpg  
Old 22nd December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Found a couple older pics. one (B/W) from Heider days and one from MARS days "Big Blue"
what years for those pix--when did they go from the small truck frame to the bigger one? Those 3M decks were heavy!

phil p
Old 23rd December 2011
Quote:
Ah the old my (enter vehicle here) is better than a land rover story. I've owned em all. Range Rovers, Discovery's and Defenders even the weakest of them goes where others can not. We better agree to disagree or my fave agree that I'm right.
Actually I'm not much of an off roader to be honest so you could probably take a VW Beetle places I couldn't go with my Range Rover!!
Now I do have an old CJ5 that I should restore because it is the coolest looking little jeep in the world. I should be posting pics of that instead of the remote truck!!
CJ's are cool, but a very bumpy ride. When I got done off-roading in my old jeeps, I felt pretty beat up. You should fix it up and take it up to the San Juans in Colorado, not too far from you. It's great up there.

The new Wrangler 4 doors are just too comfy now, those 4 wheel coil springs with adjustable shocks, 35" fat tires, the air con blasting and the 500 watt stereo crankin' with the 8" subwoofer does seem like your floating over the earth rather than rolling over it.

Crushing rocks, sailing through sand, it's going to be fun out there this weekend. We got 75 degree weather this week here in San Diego.
Old 30th December 2011
Lives for gear

Well Philiper I'm not sure on the era of the pics. I believe the pic way up above of the original truck is from around 1974 or 75 I think the interior with the 3m's is about the same. The later picture of "big blue" must be post 1985 as that's the year of the truck. I'd guess 1988?

As it seems I may be pulling the capricorn out after all. We really would like to have an analog desk in there for the Sonoma system VS. pres on stage feeding the sonoma and then using the capricorn stricktly for monitoring. (that would work of course as well)
I'm thinking of a Euphonix CS2000 or 3000 If one can be found reasonable. The capricorn is an amazing desk with everything but the kitchen sink thrown in (although it may be in there somewhere). It sounds really good and the compressor work great, but I do have concerns about the "roadability" of the desk. It's run fine sitting in the truck in our warehouse, but the proof will be at a few "test shows".
If I can get the thing prettied up a bit more and get some guys to help me move the spare Capricorn out of the truck I'll snap some pictures.
Old 28th August 2012
Lives for gear

Well it's been a while since I've posted but I've been buried trying to run a midwest city (Im a city commissioner and future Mayor)
But I've finished the annual budget and now have some time to get back to the truck.
Neve was kind enough to get me the last software version for the Capricorn and we've loaded it and the console seems to be chugging along just fine. A problem from the get go has been that I only have 32 Neve mic amps and I really wanted 48 at least so I've decided for various reasons to add a few of the Ferrofish A16 MKII units and some mic preamps to be run from the stage. I obviously lose the ability to adjust the mic amps from the console, but i gain the ability to send a madi cable to the truck instead of a massive W4 snake. The nice thing about the Ferrfish is that it allows me to feed a pair of Mackie HDR's as a backup while sending Madi to the truck to a PT rig.
So a little more cleaning and installing the Keurig, Microwave and fridge and we'll be ready to roll.
We may look at adding a basic HD video system with 3 remote cameras in the future, but we will for sure not be getting into the video business in any way shape or form as a for profit venture!! :-)
We still have the ability to offer full DSD location recording with the capricorn being used for monitoring only.
Old 7th September 2015
Gear Addict

hey sutudio 1117,did u get the truck finished,i was thinking about doing that for live sound and recording, i have all the gear already and with the madi standard and remite preamps and ipad control over the daw it will be so easy to pull up and roll out a 24 or 32 channel madi rempte pre case and like 16 returns for monitors and mains,and also now with the madi splitters u can do a backup recording to the madi hd recorder as a safety, i saw some gutted rv's pretty cheap,,,i think its a great idea,and some of them are bigenough to have drum kits in them for tracking drums
Old 7th September 2015
Lives for gear

Yes I have it going, in fact I added a second truck but sold it to my buddy Todd out in Denver. It's cool to have the conditioned space to work in. The main rack we haul in has 48 channels or remote mic pre, 48 channel split and then a tascam X48 as a backup. The main signal goes out of the mic pre rack madi to an RME card running pro tools or logic depending on the client. We are still running our Capricorn as a mix desk. We also have one in our regular studio as well so we can carry mixes from our truck to our room. Great sounding console. But the rig can also be used completely without the truck.
Old 11th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes I have it going, in fact I added a second truck but sold it to my buddy Todd out in Denver. It's cool to have the conditioned space to work in. The main rack we haul in has 48 channels or remote mic pre, 48 channel split and then a tascam X48 as a backup. The main signal goes out of the mic pre rack madi to an RME card running pro tools or logic depending on the client. We are still running our Capricorn as a mix desk. We also have one in our regular studio as well so we can carry mixes from our truck to our room. Great sounding console. But the rig can also be used completely without the truck.
.. did you buy the MARS truck ?? i worked on that truck in 1996 .. Steve was the owner ..
Old 19th October 2015
Lives for gear

Yeah, I sure did. It has a ton of history!! We basically use it as a "mix room" since we don't get a lot of calls for remote gigs around here and frankly I wouldn't have the time if we did. It's a great truck and sounds fantastic.
Old 17th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, I sure did. It has a ton of history!! We basically use it as a "mix room" since we don't get a lot of calls for remote gigs around here and frankly I wouldn't have the time if we did. It's a great truck and sounds fantastic.
how cool .. i have some great memories from that truck .. cheers john
Old 18th November 2015
Lives for gear

When I get a chance I'll post some updated pics. I'm thinking about redoing the cosmetics of the inside to a newer, brighter style. Sticking with the same acoustic signature, but just giving a bit of a facelift.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Hey there!
I just discovered your thread and I'd like to know what happened in the last years! And where are the photos?

Greetings,
Maik
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search