The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , , , ,

Behringer X32
Old 14th May 2017
  #871
Here for the gear
 

I tweeted Uli with the same question a couple of weeks ago. He was kind enough to reply but not with any more details. He said "Stay tuned"
Old 2 weeks ago
  #872
Here for the gear
 

Did anybody compare x-usb vs x-madi regarding latency? I think about buying a RME Madiface Pro and the x-madi to make the system more performant for plugin use.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #873
Lives for gear
 
lozion's Avatar
 

Has anyone tried external clocking via the madi card (or other) to see if there any gains like on Yamaha desks?
I was thinking ---> AES out to an external converter clocked --> word clock thu the card ---> PA system.
Old 1 week ago
  #874
Lives for gear
 
lozion's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lozion View Post
Has anyone tried external clocking via the madi card (or other) to see if there any gains like on Yamaha desks?
I was thinking ---> AES out to an external converter clocked --> word clock thu the card ---> PA system.
Anyone?
Old 1 week ago
  #875
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gass n Klang View Post
Did anybody compare x-usb vs x-madi regarding latency? I think about buying a RME Madiface Pro and the x-madi to make the system more performant for plugin use.
Hello, I bought a Madi card for my Midas M32r to supplement my SSL Alphalink/MadiXtreme setup & it works perfectly, haven't compared latency with stock USB Card but I'm pretty sure it's better, MADI vs USB no contest I would say!
I clock it from a Big Ben master word clock!
I hope this helps
Dave
Old 1 week ago
  #876
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by idave View Post
Hello, I bought a Madi card for my Midas M32r to supplement my SSL Alphalink/MadiXtreme setup & it works perfectly, haven't compared latency with stock USB Card but I'm pretty sure it's better, MADI vs USB no contest I would say!
I clock it from a Big Ben master word clock!
I hope this helps
Dave
thanks, I now bought a x-madi card myself (and a RME madiface pro). I get about half the latency settings before crackles come in due to better RME drivers.
Old 1 week ago
  #877
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gass n Klang View Post
thanks, I now bought a x-madi card myself (and a RME madiface pro). I get about half the latency settings before crackles come in due to better RME drivers.
Hey mate, with all due respect ✊ if your getting crackles I would think the issue is not due to the RME having better drivers, if the drivers are 'better' (not sure what this actually means) wouldn't your system work better or correctly at least (take this light heartedly but also true!)

If You/I bought a new car
Old 1 week ago
  #878
Here for the gear
 

well I've got 20 Tracks with some plugins running at 128 samples perfectly with the RME madiface in a live context. With some lighter projects I even get 64 samples running. Using X-USB card I get it work with 256 only.
Old 1 week ago
  #879
Quote:
Originally Posted by idave View Post
Hey mate, with all due respect ✊ if your getting crackles I would think the issue is not due to the RME having better drivers, if the drivers are 'better' (not sure what this actually means) wouldn't your system work better or correctly at least (take this light heartedly but also true!)

If You/I bought a new car
I think what he meant was that he can reduce the latency (in samples) using MADI compared to using USB. Crackles are the indication that you've gone too far.
Old 1 day ago
  #880
Lives for gear
 
Richard Crowley's Avatar
Am I the only one here who DETESTS trying to mix 32 channels with 16 faders? Doing button-selected, one-at-a-time channel adjustments is one thing, but actually MIXING more than 16 channels with only 16 faders seems EXACTLY like operating with one hand tied behind your back!

Yeah, I can see it in a professional road-show where all the channels are pre-assigned and even pre-set for gain, EQ, effects, etc. And the show (or at least the songs) are the same all season and the operator is an professional with years of experience in daily operation.

But selling these things into churches, et.al. where you are dealing with semi-skilled volunteers and the program is changing in Real-Time just seems like driving on the edge of disaster. Not to mention extensive training to get operators up to speed. Especially when they may work only one weekend a month (or a quarter). And ongoing training when volunteers are replaced with new people.

I am working with a video production upgrade in a church where some guitar shop came in and bamboozled the amateur "audio" guys to scrap their perfectly good, high-end, 32-channel desk and replace it with a Behringer X32 "because it's DIGITAL!". NONE of the whizzy digital features will actually solve ANY of the problems they are currently having because they are operational and acoustical.

And they want us (video) to install a second X32 for video/recording mix because it is SOOO convenient to just couple them together with a Cat5 cable. Which is true enough. But the thought of switching banks back and forth and back and forth just seems like insanity to me. We may still install mic-level splitters and take our feeds at mic level. Maybe we can just use the perfectly good 32 channel desk they are discarding. That'll baffle them.
Old 1 day ago
  #881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Crowley View Post
Am I the only one here who DETESTS trying to mix 32 channels with 16 faders? Doing button-selected, one-at-a-time channel adjustments is one thing, but actually MIXING more than 16 channels with only 16 faders seems EXACTLY like operating with one hand tied behind your back!

Yeah, I can see it in a professional road-show where all the channels are pre-assigned and even pre-set for gain, EQ, effects, etc. And the show (or at least the songs) are the same all season and the operator is an professional with years of experience in daily operation.

But selling these things into churches, et.al. where you are dealing with semi-skilled volunteers and the program is changing in Real-Time just seems like driving on the edge of disaster. Not to mention extensive training to get operators up to speed. Especially when they may work only one weekend a month (or a quarter). And ongoing training when volunteers are replaced with new people.

I am working with a video production upgrade in a church where some guitar shop came in and bamboozled the amateur "audio" guys to scrap their perfectly good, high-end, 32-channel desk and replace it with a Behringer X32 "because it's DIGITAL!". NONE of the whizzy digital features will actually solve ANY of the problems they are currently having because they are operational and acoustical.

And they want us (video) to install a second X32 for video/recording mix because it is SOOO convenient to just couple them together with a Cat5 cable. Which is true enough. But the thought of switching banks back and forth and back and forth just seems like insanity to me. We may still install mic-level splitters and take our feeds at mic level. Maybe we can just use the perfectly good 32 channel desk they are discarding. That'll baffle them.
how many faders can you move with two hands? You really do get used to it, and a little thinking ahead minimizes the need to switch layers.
Old 1 day ago
  #882
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Crowley View Post
Am I the only one here who DETESTS trying to mix 32 channels with 16 faders? Doing button-selected, one-at-a-time channel adjustments is one thing, but actually MIXING more than 16 channels with only 16 faders seems EXACTLY like operating with one hand tied behind your back!
Try it with just 8 faders ! I'm talking about recording mixdown, not live, but the problems are similar....suddenly you're wrangling 3 or 4 or more banks of 8 (or 16) !

If you can create folders or subgroups of instruments/voices it can be suddenly rendered a lot easier...you can have, say vocals (back ground), guitars, keys, individual drum mics, all as single group faders...and able to unfold each group for individual tweaks as you go. So, for most of the show you're using just 4 or 5 faders of groups..plus perhaps another dedicated to the lead vocal(s)

My problem has been convincing the hardware to recognize just these groups..and not all of the underlying inputs....that seems to be the hard part. You'd want to be able to selectively direct the mixer to consider the underlying tracks when tweaking's required, but ignore them otherwise (and just leave you with those 4 or 5 or so groups).

Last edited by studer58; 17 hours ago at 04:10 PM..
Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 
 
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Metzger / Music Computers
5
buzzjoe / Music Computers
2
Tube World / Product Alerts older than 2 months
2
mykhal c / Music Computers
1
cynics1207 / Product Alerts older than 2 months
5

Forum Jump