The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , ,

Any ECM slutz in this house?
Old 3rd February 2011
  #121
Gear Maniac
 
Djembe's Avatar
 

Great to be reminded of all these great ECM recordings - many of which I still have on vinyl.
I was always excited to go into the import record store and find a new ECM record with the mandatory enigmatic cover of some obscure stark landscape.
(Did they get them from a photo library or actually commision them?)

They always had a distinct "sound". That crispness that you didn't hear on other jazz records. As soon as you heard it, you knew it was ECM.

One of my favourites is Zakir Hussain's "Making Music"
Recorded at Rainbow Studio, Oslo, Norway in December 1986.

Personnel: Zakir Hussain (vocals, tabla, percussion); John McLaughlin (guitar, acoustic guitar); Hariprasad Chaurasia (flute); Jan Garbarek (soprano saxophone, tenor saxophone).

The interplay between the Indian classical masters and Garbarek and Mclaughlin is sublime, and unlike his usual frenetic frenzy of notes, Mclaughlin is beautifully restrained on this one.
Without digging out my vinyl copy, I remember photos of U47 FETs on the cover but would love to hear any recording details if anyone has some.

You can hear the title track here
Old 3rd February 2011
  #122
Lives for gear
 
taturana's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by borjam View Post
And now I'm remembering an amazing organ improvisation by Keith Jarret, "Spheres". Pity it was re-released on CD but, as far as I know, it's not complete.
yes, i have that here on double vinyl... it's simply stunnning...
Old 3rd February 2011
  #123
Lives for gear
 
Sonic Lush's Avatar
So glad my old ECM thread still gets some love around here...

@Remoteness--even though you pretty much are a full-time 'celebrity moderator' around these parts sharing your knowledge!

I was wondering, what about a heavyweight from this end of the audio spectrum (ie-remote, acoustic, classical) to do a guest mod?

JEK? or ???

Do any Remotesters personally know Mr. Kongshaug who could perhaps inquire toward this possibility?

anyhow, thanks again, and keep the ECM love flowin'.

walter
Old 3rd February 2011
  #124
Super Moderator
 
Remoteness's Avatar
Walter,

I'm always open to having a guest mod chime in for a few weeks or a month.

Email or PM me directly if you have a personal friendship with someone that is worthy and willing to take on the task.

It's not an easy job, especially when respect is not presented upfront.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Lush View Post
So glad my old ECM thread still gets some love around here...

@Remoteness--even though you pretty much are a full-time 'celebrity moderator' around these parts sharing your knowledge!

I was wondering, what about a heavyweight from this end of the audio spectrum (ie-remote, acoustic, classical) to do a guest mod?

JEK? or ???

Do any Remotesters personally know Mr. Kongshaug who could perhaps inquire toward this possibility?

anyhow, thanks again, and keep the ECM love flowin'.

walter
Old 4th February 2011
  #125
Lives for gear
 
Sonic Lush's Avatar
Thanks, Steve--

honestly, I personally don't know too many folks who would fit that bill.

(even though there are quite a few who swim these fair waters and contribute regularly)

It would seem if someone was lined up, an even more stringent level of moderation in regard to questions posed and responses might help to keep it respectful and shield them from unnecessary interference, and/or GSBS.

I'll keep my eyes and ears peeled.

happy new year to you and your crew!

Walter
Old 10th February 2011
  #126
Lives for gear
 
Fidelis's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Heimbecker View Post
Hey Ricardo do you know a bassist from Sao Paolo named Bijoux Barbosa who moved up her to Colorado a decade ago or so? Great player, particularly electric, though the times I've had him in the studio he was playing upright.
Hello Greg,

Of course I know Bijoux. We played togerther one time when I was a kid (like 20 years ago). And I know his brother down here in Sp. We call him Bijouxzinho (little Bijoux). Say hello from Ricardo Mosca to him! Great player!
Old 17th September 2016
  #127
Lives for gear
 

Anouar Brahem, The Astounding Eyes of Rita, an amazing piece of musical and sonic excellence. The drums in Galilee Mon Amour, in particular, are fantastically rendered. What a treasure. True audiophile demonstration material that is actually real music performed by real talent. On super high rotation here.

Another beauty is John Potter, Dowland Project, Romaria, beautiful recording and performances.
Old 17th September 2016
  #128
Lives for gear
 
Plush's Avatar
Ordered this stuff on the recommendation of David Spearritt.
Old 17th September 2016
  #129
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Ordered this stuff on the recommendation of David Spearritt.
You will not be sorry. The other Anouar Barhem albums are worth getting too, particularly Le Pas du Chat Noir, very atmospheric and capable of sustaining numerous repeated listenings. The litmus test. French, Middle Eastern chamber jazz, it doesn't get much better.
Old 18th September 2016
  #130
Lives for gear
 
king2070lplaya's Avatar
I recently picked up Avishai Cohen, the trumpeter's, newest album on ECM "Into The Silence". Great sounds, great playing, great tunes. Lots of good jazz coming out these days from a multitude of labels.
Old 28th October 2016
  #131
Lives for gear
 

Another magnificent ECM record is Kim Kashkashian (viola) and Robert Levin (piano), two authentic artists with integrity to spare. Beautiful hispanic songs rendered for this ensemble. Absolutely wonderful.
Old 29th October 2016
  #132
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
Another magnificent ECM record is Kim Kashkashian (viola) and Robert Levin (piano), two authentic artists with integrity to spare. Beautiful hispanic songs rendered for this ensemble. Absolutely wonderful.
Wow!! I thought you'd lost it for a moment David. I read that as 'Kim Kardashian'
Old 29th October 2016
  #133
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackHenry View Post
Wow!! I thought you'd lost it for a moment David. I read that as 'Kim Kardashian'
Yes, poor Ms Kashkashian probably gets mistaken frequently. One could not observe two more opposite artists.
Old 30th October 2016
  #134
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
Yes, poor Ms Kashkashian probably gets mistaken frequently. One could not observe two more opposite artists.
Artists? You're being overly generous to one of them...
Old 31st October 2016
  #135
Lives for gear
 
Yannick's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
Another magnificent ECM record is Kim Kashkashian (viola) and Robert Levin (piano), two authentic artists with integrity to spare. Beautiful hispanic songs rendered for this ensemble. Absolutely wonderful.
I agree this is a magnificent record. But I still do not understand why the recording esthetic for this classic series dictates that there is no stereo image- nor a clear distance to the instruments (besides being very close and tonally well controlled on this record). It seems like a curious blend between the youarethere and theyarehere camps, which confuses the hell out of me.
Old 2nd November 2016
  #136
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
But I still do not understand why the recording esthetic for this classic series dictates that there is no stereo image- nor a clear distance to the instruments
The Anouar Brahem records exhibit superb stereo imaging. But I quite like the ethereal nature of Asturiana, I find the viola reasonably well focused.

Its just a preference Yannick. The MS or Spaced debate is just about preference, the recording engineer/producer's preference, not the listener. We should ask the listeners what they think.

Then again, maybe not.
Old 7th November 2016
  #137
Lives for gear
 
Yannick's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
The Anouar Brahem records exhibit superb stereo imaging. But I quite like the ethereal nature of Asturiana, I find the viola reasonably well focused.

Its just a preference Yannick. The MS or Spaced debate is just about preference, the recording engineer/producer's preference, not the listener. We should ask the listeners what they think.

Then again, maybe not.
The Anouar Brahem is not classical, so there is certainly another esthetic.
I was talking about their classic series. It seems ECM wants the soloist to be pintpoint mono, and the piano (in the case of piano+instr recordins) bigger than the speaker/spread, like in most jazz recordings.

I am frustrated by a couple of things (being a classical pianist myself):
- first and foremost, the piano is NOT accompaniment ! Therefore, pasting it over the complete soundstage goes against my conviction that it is as important as the "solo" instrument.
- a piano has got a size and physical presence (live). Therefore, if you spread it even outside the speakers, size is bigger than life, and the presence/placement is gone. It becomes a sound hanging in the listening room, while the soloist is placed precisely between the speakers.

- lastly, the MS versus spaced debate is finished very quickly when you give musicians a choice during soundcheck. Most casual listeners also know which they prefer when given the choice. I agree 100% with you, the MS/spaced debate is about the recording engineer's preference, not the listener.
The catch here is of course, you have to execute both setups as good as possible. IMO in most cases where comparisons are made, the MS setups are compromised, either due to lack of experience, or bias by the engineer.

But then again, all this is just a personal opinion.
Regarding the ECM classic series, it would be interesting to hear which recording esthetic they really intended, and why that choice has been made. I am not 100% convinced that this is an intentional choice, that has NOT been born in their jazz sound legacy.

I read part of an interview somewhere, where Mr. Eicher explained the hall is selected based on the repertoire/instruments. Therefore it seems illogical you cannot hear the hall around the piano.
Old 8th November 2016
  #138
Lives for gear
 
robert82's Avatar
Eicher has a clear love of artificial reverb. Adding more than a little room sound I believe would tend to muddy the overall effect, with too many early reflections. His approach requires close micing and control over tone and reverb. Having listened to classical recordings since the RCA Red Label days, I know what I prefer in a recording. Frankly, Eicher's aesthetic is my preference for many instruments/ensembles. It's immersive, not analytical. Purism for its own sake is boring. Microphones are not ears, and every step of the recording process is some sort of "compromise" from being there in the room, during the performance. Good recordings are illusions. I prefer the immersive illusion that ECM creates over some attempt to capture the "perfect" rendition of a performance, room reflections, coughing, and all.
Old 21st August 2017
  #139
Lives for gear
 

Bumping the ECM thread. Any new discoveries? I just ordered some more Brahem. Can't get enough of that man and his sounds.

Some very enduring recordings on this excellent label. Such variety and virtuosity.

Interesting why ECM never went with DSD etc.
Old 21st August 2017
  #140
Gear Addict
 
Greg Heimbecker's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djembe View Post
Great to be reminded of all these great ECM recordings - many of which I still have on vinyl.
I was always excited to go into the import record store and find a new ECM record with the mandatory enigmatic cover of some obscure stark landscape.
(Did they get them from a photo library or actually commision them?)

They always had a distinct "sound". That crispness that you didn't hear on other jazz records. As soon as you heard it, you knew it was ECM.

One of my favourites is Zakir Hussain's "Making Music"
Recorded at Rainbow Studio, Oslo, Norway in December 1986.

Personnel: Zakir Hussain (vocals, tabla, percussion); John McLaughlin (guitar, acoustic guitar); Hariprasad Chaurasia (flute); Jan Garbarek (soprano saxophone, tenor saxophone).

The interplay between the Indian classical masters and Garbarek and Mclaughlin is sublime, and unlike his usual frenetic frenzy of notes, Mclaughlin is beautifully restrained on this one.
Without digging out my vinyl copy, I remember photos of U47 FETs on the cover but would love to hear any recording details if anyone has some.

You can hear the title track here
I just stumbled across this album again while at the lake and kept it playing for about 3 days... brilliant record! Five of my all-time favorite players on their respective instruments and the sum still outweighs the parts. Hariprasad is a bad mother... (SHUT YOUR MOUTH!) but I'm talking about Hariprasad
Old 5 days ago
  #141
Gear Maniac
 
patshep's Avatar
 

This is an old thread, I love so much of this stuff, and one album in particular i love is Arv, by Arild Andersen..... just amazing norwegian medievil music meets pink floyd... also love the dave holland groups, bright size life, keith jarrett, and so much more
if anyone is into zakir hussein, there is a great charles lloyd album with him and eric harland.... amazing
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 
 
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
pedalboy / High end
2
bgavin / So much gear, so little time!
5
dizziness / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
2
Jetblack / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
2
RZ-1 / Work In Progress / Advice Requested / Show & Tell / Artist Showcase / Mix-Offs
2

Forum Jump