The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , ,

Midas VeniceF-series
Old 3rd February 2017
  #931
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lozion View Post
PRe
thanks.
Old 17th February 2017
  #932
Lives for gear
 
jude's Avatar
 

Hi everyone, I've got a F32 on loan, looking to buy it but I cant for the life of me get it to talk to the computer. Ive tried 3 different FW ports, 3 different cables and no luck. The lights n the back of the desk stay on int and 48k with a red light on inside the desk. Can anyone help a bloke out?

Jude
Old 20th February 2017
  #933
Lives for gear
 
krheatman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jude View Post
Hi everyone, I've got a F32 on loan, looking to buy it but I cant for the life of me get it to talk to the computer. Ive tried 3 different FW ports, 3 different cables and no luck. The lights n the back of the desk stay on int and 48k with a red light on inside the desk. Can anyone help a bloke out?

Jude
Are you using the Midas software?

http://www.music-group.com/Categorie...0AD6/downloads
Old 20th February 2017
  #934
Lives for gear
 
jude's Avatar
 

Yep, Followed the install procedure restarted the computer and it does not detect the Venice :/
Old 20th February 2017
  #935
Gear Addict
 
Dimmy's Avatar
 

Win or OS X (and which version)?
Old 20th February 2017
  #936
Lives for gear
 
jude's Avatar
 

Windows 10
Old 27th February 2017
  #937
Lives for gear
 
krheatman's Avatar
Old 28th February 2017
  #938
Lives for gear
 
jude's Avatar
 

Will try that, thanks
Old 9th March 2017
  #939
Gear Addict
 
Dimmy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jude View Post
Windows 10
Grunt. Thought I could help.
Old 15th March 2017
  #940
Lives for gear
 
jude's Avatar
 

Thanks anyway mate, its still a great desk and i really love the sound and features. thinking of buying an older PC to run plugins live with
Old 16th March 2017
  #941
Lives for gear
 
scruffydog's Avatar
macOS Sierra and Midas Venice F series Firewire driver problems? So there may be similar issues across the board? This is a HUGE issue right now for WHOEVER is keeping shop.The range is effectively NOT FIT for sale. For example..To die or not to die? That's the question! Or even ''do or Die' This almost gets me mad as Fukushima! SORT it out you utter lightweights! We early adopters funded your move to China only we never knew that did we? ARE YOU RATS as well as Lazy?

----Update.
Perhaps I went a tad over board there! It is of course firewire after all. But there must be a way to provide an update path for those wishing to keep connectivity with the board? I hope to upgrade from my 10.8.5 for reasons of Logic but I suppose This all ends up saving cash for now.... My get out is that I personally put extra time into promoting this board here on the Forum when it first came out and I bought one (British Made! Almost double the cost!) So I feel a little excused for my reference to the Global Disaster that is the Ongoing Fukushima..and Rats!! Best wishes to WHOEVER here HEARS this S.O.S

Last edited by scruffydog; 26th April 2017 at 09:21 PM..
Old 16th March 2017
  #942
So I just lucked out on a near mint Venice F32. I was a little hesitant after reading all about the thing here on GS, but because of my particular situation, and the great price from an old friend, I just couldn't resist the chance to go beyond my Onyx 1640i. I am still on Win7 pro 64, and already had put a TI chip firewire card in my new puter build. So I chanced it, followed all the directions, got the last driver from the Midas site, and everything works, no issues... Yet. I am just mentioning that TI chip firewire card (it was cheap, like 20 bucks or less on ebay) because if you are having trouble- you might start there.The Onyx seemed to run better with the TI chip FW as well, as opposed to the onboard firewire chip on the previous motherboard. So far, I must admit, I like the F32. A LOT. Still testing. Mix bus is better for sure, EQ fantastic, pre's I don't know yet. You guys plugging a bass DI into this thing? Has it got enough gain to handle it? I'll know soon. I loved the DI channels on the 1640i for that.

Update:
Yup. Handles DI bass quite nicely, with my channel gain at a mere 12 to 1 o'clock. Then again I shoulda known. I forgot I have the Fender Jazz with all the active out stuff on it. Next up: test the mic pre's on a nice new set of TAMA Superstar Classic Maples.

Last edited by studioman22; 16th March 2017 at 10:18 AM..
Old 16th March 2017
  #943
Lives for gear
 
lozion's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffydog View Post
macOS Sierra and Midas Venice F series Firewire driver problems? So there may be similar issues across the board? This is a HUGE issue right now for WHOEVER is keeping shop.The range is effectively NOT FIT for sale. For example..To die or not to die? That's the question! Or even ''do or Die' This almost gets me mad as Fukushima! SORT it out you utter lightweights! We early adopters funded your move to China only we never knew that did we? ARE YOU RATS as well as Lazy?

----Update.
Perhaps I went a tad over board there! It is of course firewire after all. But there must be a way to provide an update path for those wishing to keep connectivity with the board? I hope to upgrade from my 10.6.8 for reasons of Logic but I suppose This all ends up saving cash for now.... My get out is that I personally put extra time into promoting this board here on the Forum when it first came out and I bought one (British Made! Almost double the cost!) So I feel a little excused for my reference to the Global Disaster that is the Ongoing Fukushima..and Rats!! Best wishes to WHOEVER here HEARS this S.O.S
NO issues here on Sierra 10.12.3 & PT12.7 so you should be good to upgrade..
Of course Firewire is a dying (dead?) breed but the F-Series came out in 2011 so already close to the 7 years of shelf life. At some point soon we will be confronted to a last stable setup with which we'll have to work and no upgrade path. Such is technology..
Old 5th April 2017
  #944
Gear Head
Midas F24 Mic Pre vs MOTU 828mk3

Hello,
Have taken delivery of a new Midas Venice F24, (apparently the last one at Full Compass) and am going to use it for analog monitoring/mixing with a MOTU 16A and 828mk3.
I can't audition the pre's as I am on tour but am trying to visualize the routing/setup. I can use a pre or two on the F24, or the pre's on the 828. (and get zero latency with either). Anyone with thoughts what's the better choice.
Thanks!
Old 6th April 2017
  #945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Difab4 View Post
Hello,
Have taken delivery of a new Midas Venice F24, (apparently the last one at Full Compass) and am going to use it for analog monitoring/mixing with a MOTU 16A and 828mk3.
I can't audition the pre's as I am on tour but am trying to visualize the routing/setup. I can use a pre or two on the F24, or the pre's on the 828. (and get zero latency with either). Anyone with thoughts what's the better choice.
Thanks!
Well if I had all that, one thing I know I'd do right away is setup the main L-R XLR balanced outs on the F24 into two dedicated channels of the 16A, for 192 khz captures of mixes. As to the differences in pre's, generally speaking you're probably going to want to use the F24's pre's for stuff you want a bit more mojo on, rather than the more clean and transparent pre's on the 828 mk3.

Now the curious thing to me would be to find out if something recorded at 192 khz through the 828 mk3 pre's would sound better than the same thing recorded through the F24's pre's at 48 khz. And then of course you could always direct out some F24 channels line level into either MOTU, and record those at 192. You got options, that's for sure.
Old 7th April 2017
  #946
Gear Head
Thanks for all that. Now I'll have to read up about what you're talking about! I've always just used 44.1
Old 8th April 2017
  #947
Gear Head
I know this has been discussed a bit , but I'm wondering if anyone knows why we have to solo the master bus to hear output from the monitor (local) output section.
Thanks
Old 8th April 2017
  #948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Difab4 View Post
I know this has been discussed a bit , but I'm wondering if anyone knows why we have to solo the master bus to hear output from the monitor (local) output section.
Thanks
Probably because it was designed more as a live board, with some useful studio features as well. After working on mine for a bit now (just got my F32 a week or two ago) I kinda like the yellow lit up showing solo. That way I always visually know what I am monitoring or soloing. It's just a different way of working. Don't sweat the small stuff man. You got a load of capability there with what you have. No excuses! Make some music darnit.
Old 8th April 2017
  #949
Gear Head
Thanks again
Old 10th April 2017
  #950
Gear Head
Old 15th May 2017
  #951
Gear Addict
 

so how is osx sierra compatibility?

im still on Yosemite, was thinking of upgrading to sierra but afraid of breaking my compatibility. shame I got this less than a year ago and it has since been abandoned.
Old 15th May 2017
  #952
Lives for gear
 
lozion's Avatar
 

Solid for me here.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 
 
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
woods / So much gear, so little time!
4
jeronimo / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
34
ajcamlet / So much gear, so little time!
0
cajonezzz / So much gear, so little time!
6
Drumsound / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0

Forum Jump