Tags: , ,

Terry Bozzio's live drum mic setup?
Old 9th February 2009
  #1
Gear nut
 
ahjteam's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Question Terry Bozzio's live drum mic setup?

I have been watching some pictures in the internet of Terry Bozzios set, its pretty gigantic none the less. But I have noticed that even tho you can see huge amount of pictures of his set, I still haven't found a single picture that clearly shows how the setup is miced, I found this one picture that have some wires running along the drumset that are attached to to the kickdrums(!), and this that only has a single overhead microphone clearly visible and then some mic stands. I mean he has like 6 foot operated drums and like kazillion toms and cymbals and a maneating robot scorpion as hardwarerack etc.

Any insider information how his setup is miced or has anyone seen the technical riders?

edit: damn, terry bozzio site actually says that he uses AKG mics, but still nothing mentioned about the kick drums, or is it just so that he doesn't use any dynamic mics?

Quote:
Mic's (not shown)

Normally i use akg 414, c-264, c-12, solidtube or c-4000 mics ambiently for solo or classical/jazz & recording applications - and for rock or louder situations i use akg 419 or 418 clip-on's for toms and snares.
Old 9th February 2009
  #2
Super Moderator
 
Remoteness's Avatar
I must say, that's a pretty amazing drum set.
I think I would mic it with three mics or twenty depending on my mood.
Attached Thumbnails
Terry Bozzio's live drum mic setup?-kitterrybozzio.jpg   Terry Bozzio's live drum mic setup?-kit_v01.jpg   Terry Bozzio's live drum mic setup?-kit_v02.jpg   Terry Bozzio's live drum mic setup?-kit_v04.jpg  
Old 9th February 2009
  #3
Lives for gear
 

These are what I heard somewhere.
Old 9th February 2009
  #4
Lives for gear
 
blackcatdigi's Avatar
The last time I worked with Terry he was using internally mounted mics in all the drums. He is an AKG endorser and was using D112s in the kicks, c408s (?) in the toms, and a pair of 414TLIIs for OHs.

He also is very particular about using no dynamics or reverb processing, and as little eq as possible.

Great guy. Inhuman player; Not from this planet.

Old 10th February 2009
  #5
Lives for gear
 
RCM - Ronan's Avatar
Not sure about his live set up, but I have done a few studio albums with him. I can confirm that at least last time we worked together he had D112s inside his kicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcatdigi View Post
He also is very particular about using no dynamics or reverb processing, and as little eq as possible.
Maybe that is a live thing. In the studio its always just been about getting great sounds. He is super easy and cool to work with.
Old 10th February 2009
  #6
Lives for gear
 
camerondye's Avatar
 

Who was better at teaching to think differently than Frank? All his drummers were just incredible. I'm counting over 34 drums, then the electronic pads, the xylophone, overheads, room mics, and whatever other stuff he has...how the fu¢k would you mix all that (probably over 50 channels) without it sounding like mud.

I would think that it would be a lot easy and sound better going with well placed OH's, room mics, kick drum mics, and snares in a good room than inside mics on every tom. His poor drum tech (or techs that is). TB is generally not my cup of tea but I like that he's doing something different.
cam
Old 24th February 2009
  #7
Lives for gear
 
blackcatdigi's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm View Post
Not sure about his live set up, but I have done a few studio albums with him. I can confirm that at least last time we worked together he had D112s inside his kicks



Maybe that is a live thing. In the studio its always just been about getting great sounds. He is super easy and cool to work with.
Yes, it was a live, solo gig. And yes, he is super easy and cool to work with.

Terry is one of a rare and near-extinct breed: A unique and identifiable drummer. Also, just a super nice guy.
Old 25th February 2009
  #8
Lives for gear
 
rmx16's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahjteam View Post
I have been watching some pictures in the internet of Terry Bozzios set, its pretty gigantic none the less. But I have noticed that even tho you can see huge amount of pictures of his set, I still haven't found a single picture that clearly shows how the setup is miced, I found this one picture that have some wires running along the drumset that are attached to to the kickdrums(!), and this that only has a single overhead microphone clearly visible and then some mic stands. I mean he has like 6 foot operated drums and like kazillion toms and cymbals and a maneating robot scorpion as hardwarerack etc.

Any insider information how his setup is miced or has anyone seen the technical riders?

edit: damn, terry bozzio site actually says that he uses AKG mics, but still nothing mentioned about the kick drums, or is it just so that he doesn't use any dynamic mics?
I remember reading somewhere he was using a May micing system

http://www.randallmay.com/internal_miking_system.php

Peace
Old 27th February 2009
  #9
Lives for gear
 
jimcroisdale's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
I must say, that's a pretty amazing drum set.
I think I would mic it with three mics or twenty depending on my mood.
Reminds me of the new Guiness ad.....
Old 20th March 2012
  #10
Gear interested
 

so i couldn't resist to the urge to get on here and brag about having played terry's kit. the single most insane drum kit out there. none of the pictures, i have seen online do the kit full justice.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
CommunityMart / Low End Theory
11
TheRigaletto / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
3
2A Batterie / So much gear, so little time!
1
mac black / High end
2

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search