The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , ,

Nagra VI Firmware Requests Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 11th July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
All of my recorders lock to the outputted AES stream except the Nagra VI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
Have you mentioned this to John Owens?
I would be surprised if its the Nagra VI. I have slaved mine to AES-in many times without issue. The Atlas outputs SPDIF and requires a transformer/adapter cable to produce AES3. I would suspect that transformer or adapter cable first. Have you got a Neutrik or Canare transformer 75-110 Ohm you can test?

Last edited by David Spearritt; 12th July 2017 at 01:25 PM..
Old 12th July 2017
Lives for gear

ATLAS uses a format converter cable, RCA to xlr for the AES out.
On the ATLAS one selects either SPDIF or AES. It switches it in software. It works well.

I will just have to spend more time with it. I already spent 4 hours trying to solve this problem.

Could be pilot error. However, the AES out is accepted by all other machines here.

To solve the problem, I switched converters but I would rather use the PRISM.

Will continue to evaluate and experiment.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Thumbs up Nagra VI flight case

I had a call from my local flight case company - Case Design, High Wycombe, UK - as they wanted to borrow my Nagra VI flight case to measure.

I designed the case with Case Design when the Nagra VI first came out and they have sold quite a few to Nagra VI users over the years - but they had lost the template and had just received an order from the USA to make another - so they wanted mine to measure.

It's all in the CAD now, so they have it for good.

It was quite a complicated design as there is a moveable divider so the Nagra VI can be in the case with the option of the battery box connected or separated (connected while used a lot - separated if it was to be stored for a few weeks). The legs are stored underneath (though now they are stored flat as it's easier to do the cutout).

So I thought this an opportunity to take a new set of photos so you can see what it looks like (in case anyone else wants one).

NB: I have no financial involvement in this as Case Design sell direct and I get nothing - it's just the design I worked out with them when I bought me Nagra VI and quite a few owners find that it suits them as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Nagra VI Firmware Requests-nagra-vi-case-1.jpg   Nagra VI Firmware Requests-nagra-vi-case-2.jpg   Nagra VI Firmware Requests-nagra-vi-case-3.jpg   Nagra VI Firmware Requests-nagra-vi-case-4.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
I had a call from my local flight case company - Case Design, High Wycombe, UK - as they wanted to borrow my Nagra VI flight case to measure.

I designed the case with Case Design when the Nagra VI first came out and they have sold quite a few to Nagra VI users over the years - but they had lost the template and had just received an order from the USA to make another - so they wanted mine to measure.

It's all in the CAD now, so they have it for good.

It was quite a complicated design as there is a moveable divider so the Nagra VI can be in the case with the option of the battery box connected or separated (connected while used a lot - separated if it was to be stored for a few weeks). The legs are stored underneath (though now they are stored flat as it's easier to do the cutout).

So I thought this an opportunity to take a new set of photos so you can see what it looks like (in case anyone else wants one).

NB: I have no financial involvement in this as Case Design sell direct and I get nothing - it's just the design I worked out with them when I bought me Nagra VI and quite a few owners find that it suits them as well.
Any ideas as to retail price in Europe?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swing View Post
Any ideas as to retail price in Europe?
Talk to Mark Harley at Case Design.

The price, as I understand it, is a little under £400 (it's a complicated design that takes time to make - though it's about £100 cheaper than it would have been when I bought mine).

Not sure about delivery costs.

Mark will tell you.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Talk to Mark Harley at Case Design.

The price, as I understand it, is a little under £400 (it's a complicated design that takes time to make - though it's about £100 cheaper than it would have been when I bought mine).

Not sure about delivery costs.

Mark will tell you.
Thanks for the info. I've been looking for something that is not really a flight case but is still a hard case just to carry around town. I was thinking of a Pelican 1550 or 1555 (I should recheck the dimensions), but maybe my needs are not the same product market as a flight case. (EDIT: maybe the 1605 or 1615 would better suit me for around town).

And, as this is the "Nagra VI Firmware Requests" thread, does anyone know whether anything was ever decided as to the possibility of an on-screen lissajous meter coming in a future release (such as it's not going to happen)?

Last edited by Swing; 2 weeks ago at 08:54 PM.. Reason: checked sizes
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Question

Quote:
And, as this is the "Nagra VI Firmware Requests" thread, does anyone know whether anything was ever decided as to the possibility of an on-screen lissajous meter coming in a future release (such as it's not going to happen)?
Has someone asked John Owens about this?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Has someone asked John Owens about this?
I made an inquiry a couple of years back, and to my knowledge others have too. John said there was nothing imminent planned, as the effort to accomplish this is not trivial.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'm just riding roughshod with my NVI in the tan cloth case. Over the shoulder with it and the power supply and legs+ cables ride in the pouch built in to the cloth case.

I like my NVI to look used with a few dents and marks.

I am suspicious of anyone showing up with new looking equipment.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
I'm just riding roughshod with my NVI in the tan cloth case. Over the shoulder with it and the power supply and legs+ cables ride in the pouch built in to the cloth case.

I like my NVI to look used with a few dents and marks.

I am suspicious of anyone showing up with new looking equipment.
While I am not made suspicious by the apparent age of gear, I use the original case with mine too, including the power supply, EMP, and a keyboard which fit in the side pouch. For awhile I searched for that tan case, because it has less "bling" than the black case with red "NAGRA" stitching and velcro pulls that came with mine; and late at night when I am on the metro or walking around I figured the tan case would attract less attention.

Sometimes it is necessary to load the VI along with a lot of other gear and instrument cases. In the bag during transport in a taxi or car the knobs and switches are vulnerable and on these occasions I'd like more protection than is provided by the bag. Also, a larger hard case could contain yet more miscellany and help reduce clutter spread across numerous bags/cases.

And of course the bag does not cut it if one will be on an airplane.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Smile

Quote:
Sometimes it is necessary to load the VI along with a lot of other gear and instrument cases. In the bag during transport in a taxi or car the knobs and switches are vulnerable and on these occasions I'd like more protection than is provided by the bag. Also, a larger hard case could contain yet more miscellany and help reduce clutter spread across numerous bags/cases.

And of course the bag does not cut it if one will be on an airplane.
That's why I designed my flight case - also, I am often recording classical music in a hall and don't use the shoulder bag there.

The "cable area" in the case holds the mains PSU, various cables, a roll-up rubber keyboard, spare CF cards, etc...

It protects it properly while I am travelling about and it lives in the case at home.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Me too. Mine has had a few knocks on car doors and stage doors and other doors. But none of it is visible really. What a machine! Faultless performance after frequent use for nearly 7 years now. Still on first battery too.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
Faultless performance after frequent use for nearly 7 years now. Still on first battery too.
Mine is about 10 years old now - still on the original batteries (I had my Nagra VI supplied with the high capacity one instead of the standard one).

I swapped out the 125 HDD for a 250 SSD 2 or 3 few years ago.

Last edited by John Willett; 1 week ago at 06:25 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Mine has the custom limited run leather strap, bitch.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search