The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , , ,

Post pictures of your portable recording equipment
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moke View Post
yesterday..
Yep, thats a 151 member orchestra (official count)
<snip>
In the theater, I was treated to the "owners seats, at first row center, balcony.
<snip>
Does that mean you were assigned that location? If you could have put a stand anywhere in the hall, where would you (others welcome to chime in too!) have put it?

I will be in a similar hall with a large orchestra towards the end of the summer...

(Will be using OM1's in AB and CM3's in NOS.)

Cheers,
Henrik
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNordberg View Post
Does that mean you were assigned that location? If you could have put a stand anywhere in the hall, where would you (others welcome to chime in too!) have put it?

I will be in a similar hall with a large orchestra towards the end of the summer...

(Will be using OM1's in AB and CM3's in NOS.)

Cheers,
Henrik
Not assigned.
I walked the hall from stage-lip to rear of hall on the floor seating, including way up underneath the balcony. The open-air portion of the floor seating (not below the balcony), sounded alright, except the balance was off, in regard to the brass/percussion. Those instrument groups created something akin to a hard wind blowing by, or a freight train rolling thru, when they contributed.

I was being guided around by the house soundman, and he suggested that I go listen from the balcony, and he even assisted by grabbing my mic stand bag, and carrying that for me.
We went to the balcony, and, the sound was still really hard from the brass/perc grouping. But, this was to be the case all the way to the rear of the hall balcony mezzanine area. I went all the way to the rear wall upstairs, same result. The brass and perc were absoultely dominating the hall.

The house sound tech showed me how they have the house mics arranged with fishing line attached to the mic arrays, so that they can be pulled into position. The main pair had fishing line that was attached to the balcony face right where I recorded from. The house sound tech said that when he records, he pulls the main stereo pair down in front of the balcony, at a height higher than the balcony front row, about 15' out from the balcony face.
So where I set up for that concert was about 15' rearward from the house main mic array. The resulting recording came out nicely, and, in fact, one colleague of mine raved about how nice it sounded to hear the hall ambience, which is something that he said that he rarely hears in classical works anymore (he is a classical music aficionado, as far as his preference in music).
I'm satisfied with the recording(s), but, would not call them my favorite or finest.
I'd like to try that hall again from closer, and with a smaller ensemble.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search