The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , , ,

Post pictures of your portable recording equipment Condenser Microphones
Old 13th July 2017
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moke View Post
yesterday..
Yep, thats a 151 member orchestra (official count)
<snip>
In the theater, I was treated to the "owners seats, at first row center, balcony.
<snip>
Does that mean you were assigned that location? If you could have put a stand anywhere in the hall, where would you (others welcome to chime in too!) have put it?

I will be in a similar hall with a large orchestra towards the end of the summer...

(Will be using OM1's in AB and CM3's in NOS.)

Cheers,
Henrik
Old 13th July 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNordberg View Post
Does that mean you were assigned that location? If you could have put a stand anywhere in the hall, where would you (others welcome to chime in too!) have put it?

I will be in a similar hall with a large orchestra towards the end of the summer...

(Will be using OM1's in AB and CM3's in NOS.)

Cheers,
Henrik
Not assigned.
I walked the hall from stage-lip to rear of hall on the floor seating, including way up underneath the balcony. The open-air portion of the floor seating (not below the balcony), sounded alright, except the balance was off, in regard to the brass/percussion. Those instrument groups created something akin to a hard wind blowing by, or a freight train rolling thru, when they contributed.

I was being guided around by the house soundman, and he suggested that I go listen from the balcony, and he even assisted by grabbing my mic stand bag, and carrying that for me.
We went to the balcony, and, the sound was still really hard from the brass/perc grouping. But, this was to be the case all the way to the rear of the hall balcony mezzanine area. I went all the way to the rear wall upstairs, same result. The brass and perc were absoultely dominating the hall.

The house sound tech showed me how they have the house mics arranged with fishing line attached to the mic arrays, so that they can be pulled into position. The main pair had fishing line that was attached to the balcony face right where I recorded from. The house sound tech said that when he records, he pulls the main stereo pair down in front of the balcony, at a height higher than the balcony front row, about 15' out from the balcony face.
So where I set up for that concert was about 15' rearward from the house main mic array. The resulting recording came out nicely, and, in fact, one colleague of mine raved about how nice it sounded to hear the hall ambience, which is something that he said that he rarely hears in classical works anymore (he is a classical music aficionado, as far as his preference in music).
I'm satisfied with the recording(s), but, would not call them my favorite or finest.
I'd like to try that hall again from closer, and with a smaller ensemble.
Old 17th August 2017
Lives for gear

My Rig Today

Run'n and gun'n today
Attached Thumbnails
Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-20770010_1535353499862218_904769845052995993_n.jpg  
Old 17th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmx16 View Post
Run'n and gun'n today
Are those some kind of new API spheres...or cantaloupes?
Old 24th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjazzdad View Post
Are those some kind of new API spheres...or cantaloupes?
In my experience those things produce wind rather than deflect it.
Old 8th September 2017
Lives for gear

Holy MacBook stand ;-)

Some fun
Attached Thumbnails
Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-img_1877.jpg   Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-img_1880.jpg   Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-img_1882.jpg   Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-img_1887.jpg  
Old 9th September 2017
Gear Nut

Thanks for sharing Gaston -- also, haha @ your unusually ecclesiastic laptop stand -- looks like a very pleasantly compact rig. Out of curiosity, what were the instruments/material?
Old 11th September 2017
Lives for gear

These pictures were taken last weekend from a concert with Marco Beasley (vocal) & Stefano Rocco (archlute & barock guitar).

Marco Beasley - Home

My rig consisted of:

Schoeps ORTF
DPA 4060 in AB
16ch. Merging Horus AES67 Ravenna mic preamp/converter
Macbook Pro mid 2012 + Pro Tools 12.8 (which stopped recording in the middle of the concert (error message in respect to HW/Buffer, although no plugins used) unstable so far.
Benchmark DAC1 fed by the AES output from the Horus.

I am extremly Happy with the Sound however I need to work on stability/reliability from Macbook and Pro Tools 12.8

I am planning to setup a redundant recorder using an older Macbook Pro running Boomrecorder.

If people here on GS have suggestions in order to get a more reliable PT system please let me know.

Gaston
Old 11th September 2017
Gear Nut

Thank you, Gaston! I admire your work very much, and appreciate the info. If I am not getting too greedy with my curiosity, would you mind sharing what the two spot microphones were as well?

Sorry to hear about the troubles with Protools!
Old 11th September 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaston69 View Post
If people here on GS have suggestions in order to get a more reliable PT system please let me know.

Gaston
I suspect the most reliable version of ProTools for live location recording might be called Reaper Works for me, with a 2010 MacBook Pro
Old 12th September 2017
Lives for gear

I noted that more & more people here on GS claim that Reaper is extremely reliable .
I have a demo version installed however need to take the time to learn how to operate it.....
Old 12th September 2017
Gear Addict

Hi,

Another option for safety could be to use an interface like the RME UFX. You can record in the interface on a USB stick.
Until now I never had any computer problem, but I always have a backup in this interface: You cancel any problem regarding the computer, software AND hardware...

All the best from Bern,

Fred
Old 12th September 2017
Lives for gear
Reaper does give you the option to record simultaneously to a secondary path as well as the main one....so you could be recording to an internal (or external) HDD or SSD as primary, as well as a USB thumb drive or SD card as secondary.

If the computer glitches or freezes, of course the secondary goes down as well.....but it is some degree of protection short of employing a separate, detached parallel recording system.

Explained simply in one page here: https://www.reaper.fm/guides/reaper_recpath_guide.pdf
Old 12th September 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
I noted that more & more people here on GS claim that Reaper is extremely reliable .
I have a demo version installed however need to take the time to learn how to operate it.....
I am another very happy Reaper user -- never the slightest glitch, crash, or issue.

It is true that Reaper allows for an enormous amount of customization -- some of which may be worthwhile to you eventually -- but the basic operation of the software for location recording is actually among the easiest and most logical of any programs I've used.
Old 18th September 2017
I've been using Reaper for four years now. As a recording platform it's been rock solid. Feeding a pair of small NUC PCs via Dante has given me the redundancy I desire, although I've not yet experienced any glitches in the "primary" chain.
Old 18th September 2017
Lives for gear

Small Super Set up.
60 volt Schoeps mics.
Attached Thumbnails
Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-nagra-rens-box.jpg  
Old 18th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I used to get the HW/buffer error at least once per show, no matter the version, MBP or OS. Reaper solved that issue! Pyramix native is also pretty sweet and rock solid on my bootcamped mac.
Old 20th September 2017
Lives for gear

My Fav -- Roland VS 2480 ///// Plenty of inputs --- 24 trk -- Carry in under your arm ...All self contained >> Just bring mics /DI No latency .. Easy internal mixing -- automated faders
Attached Thumbnails
Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-_mg_7491.jpg  

Last edited by cjogo; 20th September 2017 at 04:12 AM..
Old 22nd September 2017
Lives for gear

Last edited by cjogo; 22nd September 2017 at 10:56 PM..
Old 24th September 2017
Choosing between bleumlein m/s with MKH30s and a Schneider disc with Gefell M221s.

The disc won.

DPA4060s on the harpsichord. Schoeps MK5s in cardioid on the main stand in case the soprano needed presence (she didn't).
Attached Thumbnails
Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-img_0103.jpg   Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-img_0104.jpg   Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-img_0105.jpg   Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-img_0107.jpg   Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-img_0108.jpg  

Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-img_0109.jpg  
Old 24th September 2017
Gear Nut

Did you also try without disc?
Old 24th September 2017
Lives for gear

Did you end up using the DPA 4060s in the mix?

When I tape boundary mics under a piano or harpsichord lid, I lead the wires over the top of the lid, with a bit of gaffa on the backside. I have never had one come unstuck, but this way, they won't fall on the strings if they do unstick...that would be just my luck!
Old 24th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulrich View Post
Did you also try without disc?
No. Didn't really have the time.
Old 24th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjazzdad View Post
Did you end up using the DPA 4060s in the mix?

When I tape boundary mics under a piano or harpsichord lid, I lead the wires over the top of the lid, with a bit of gaffa on the backside. I have never had one come unstuck, but this way, they won't fall on the strings if they do unstick...that would be just my luck!
I did use them, sparingly. The space is incredibly reverberant, a little sparkle on the continuo locks things into place.

Good tip about going on the outside of the lid. Next time!
Old 24th September 2017
Here for the gear
here it is , the H6
[DELETED BY MOD]
Attached Thumbnails
Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-myrec.jpg  

Last edited by Bender412; 26th September 2017 at 11:01 PM.. Reason: Spam
Old 24th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by avillalta View Post
Good tip about going on the outside of the lid. Next time!
4060s are lighter and have less mass than the tape that holds them. I've never (10 years, nearly) had them come loose with decent gaff tape (PermaCell, PROGaff, Tour Supply). Same with 4099s on mic stands (choral SR). Main visual goal is to have them "disappear".

HB
Old 26th September 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Choosing between bleumlein m/s with MKH30s and a Schneider disc with Gefell M221s.

The disc won.

DPA4060s on the harpsichord. Schoeps MK5s in cardioid on the main stand in case the soprano needed presence (she didn't).
Lovely approach and documentation, Andres! I feel I can almost hear the performance

I've always loved that vocal spot on main pair stand trick -- very elegant. The clamp I have is much less elegant than yours, however, and also has only one mount. Would you mind sharing what yours is?
Old 26th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukedamrosch View Post
Lovely approach and documentation, Andres! I feel I can almost hear the performance

I've always loved that vocal spot on main pair stand trick -- very elegant. The clamp I have is much less elegant than yours, however, and also has only one mount. Would you mind sharing what yours is?
Thanks!

The clamps I used are just a pair of Audix DFLEX clamps for drums. I stacked one above the other. What makes it look clean is the brilliant, yet shockingly expensive, Schoeps: active extension cables. Those really help hide the capsules.
Old 27th September 2017
Gear Head

Quote:

Sweet. Where was this? (Sorry if I missed it.)
Old 28th September 2017
Gear Head

Its not always about a forest of mic stands, and perfect copy.
I am sometimes asked to go low profile with an ensemble that I record, in instances, for example, where they are being hosted by an outside promoter, and not their own concert production; But they still want an archival copy.
I'm crew with the ensemble, and am in the hall early. I can very often get a seat with a nice clear view of the stage, from a seated position. In these times, and at their request, I use a very portable rig,... my Set It and Forget It rig.
The bag was orignally sold as a nylon insulated lunch bag, likely at a BigLots or Dollar Store (don't recall, as I rigged this 10+ years ago).
When I originally rigged this bag, I was running an SD 722 and pair of DPA 4028 compact sub-cards. I'm now running a Tas DR70D and a pair of L.A.CM3 sub-cards.
The netted portion of the bag has a stiff wire rod frame coverd in heat shrink to protect the mics. It is bent to a triangular shape, and is 205mm wide at the caps, and at 90ยบ combined off-axis response; or, nearly perfect DIN stereo. Considering the wide-cardioid pattern of the L.A.CM3 pair, the extra width wide of DIN isn't slightly an issue.
I've used it numerous times as a bag on my lap, with both the "onboard" mics and my pair of DPA4060 as HRTF stereo for four channels of low-profile recording.

The images were set up to show the rig. I typically have a black lace insert to cover the netted cargo pouch portion. I forgot to take a pic with the lace in place. You'll have to imagine that part.

rambling...
The Set It and Forget It portable rig.
Attached Thumbnails
Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-dscn3813.jpg   Post pictures of your portable recording equipment-dscn3816.jpg  
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search