The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: ,

Which A/D converter for classical?
Old 14th January 2008
Gear nut

Question Which A/D converter for classical?

Hi!

I need a very clear and uncoloured 2 channel AD converter. I don't need sampling frequences over 96kHz.
My budget is restricted to $ 4,500.
Any advice?

Thank you!
Old 14th January 2008
0VU
Gear Addict

I use dCS 900, 902 and 904 (900 is 44.1/48 only and 904 goes up to 192 (higher if you get the right version - mine stop at 192/DSD) 900 is now rather old and could be a bit of a liability but they are very cheap (I paid around £100 for my second one); 904 is out of your budget new but should be comfortably within if bought used. The dCS900/902 may be getting on a bit now but there's still very little to touch them for sound quality.

I've also got a Weiss ADC1 which is another great converter and again, Mk1 versions (up to 48) are cheap; the current Mk2 version covers 96 but again is (I think) only within your budget if bought used.

I've also seen Prism AD124s going used within your budget and even the odd ADA8.

All of these are really great converters, ideal for classical (or anything else requiring transparency/clarity/accuracy and build quality over 'character' and clever tricks, and they represent some of the best money I've spent in audio gear. If you think that the dCS900 and Weiss ADC1 were both around £3000 when new, it was a lot of money but I'm still using both, 16 and 13 years later respectively so that's <£250/year over their lives so far.

They may all be (have been) comparatively expensive when new but unlike the vast majority of digital gear, they can still sonically compete years later and they retain some kind of resale value for quite a long time. The companies that make them also ime tend to be amongst the best for after sales service and reliability.

There are others but these were my choices, still are, and I'm happy with them
Old 14th January 2008
Lives for gear

0VU gave you the lowdown on dCS which is excellent. We use model 902 and 904 here still after many years. How many pieces of digital gear bought in 1995 are people still using? With dCS there is a reason.

A new contender may be of interest to you. It has excellent sound quality.
It is the AMS-Neve 1073 DPD. It includes two 1073 type mic amps and a fantastic converter that does all rates including DSD.

The 1073 mic amps are the additional gravy and although they may not be the first choice in mic amps for classical, they are great mic amps for general useage.

Lastly, don't forget the very good American made Benchmark a/d converters.
Old 14th January 2008
Super Moderator

Plushy,

What do think about the Crane Song HEDD 192 as a stereo A/D D/A?

I love it for Jazz, Rock and everything else in between.
Old 14th January 2008
Lives for gear

Hello Remoteness,

I can endorse anything made in Wisconsin, so the Hedd 192 is good as well. I have demoed it here and it was very high quality.
Old 14th January 2008
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Hello Remoteness,

I can endorse anything made in Wisconsin, so the Hedd 192 is good as well. I have demoed it here and it was very high quality.
It seems to sound excellent on everything we use it with.

Thanks for the thumbs up!
Old 19th April 2017
MPK
Here for the gear

I bought an used dCS900c AD converter and I am desperately seeking the manual. I wrote to the dCS company, they answered that they have nothing about these old vintage converters anymore. I need the manual for exactly dCS900C model, because each modification (rev. A, B, C and D) have different internals. 900C version has some switches inside the unit and I need to know for what they are for. Any help will be much appreciated My email: panacea1atseznamdotcz . Thank you very much.
Jiri
Old 19th April 2017
Quote:
Hello Remoteness,

I can endorse anything made in Wisconsin,
Even Pabst?

<cues up Laverne and Shirley music>
Old 19th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMetzinger View Post
Even Pabst?

<cues up Laverne and Shirley music>
You think Pabst is worse than Miller? I beg to differ.
Old 19th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
You think Pabst is worse than Miller? I beg to differ.
No I didn't say that! Pabst just happens to be the worst beer that I know came from Wisconsin. If Miller is from there too, it's another point against the generalization that "Wisconsin is good".

Though on the plus side there are cheese curds, the Oshkosh Airshow, and lots of other good things up there!
Old 20th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMetzinger View Post
No I didn't say that! Pabst just happens to be the worst beer that I know came from Wisconsin. If Miller is from there too, it's another point against the generalization that "Wisconsin is good".

Though on the plus side there are cheese curds, the Oshkosh Airshow, and lots of other good things up there!
Well, OK, if we're going to praise Wisconsin, they do have a huge and varied collection of Frank Lloyd Wright buildings, not least Taliesin, and the Johnson Wax building. They give tours of both, and others besides.

But to give Chicago (hey there Hudson!) it's due, there are some nice FLW buildings there too, not to mention Louis Sullivan buildings. If you're an architecture fan there are a lot worse places to be than the Chicago-Milwaukee corridor. Like anywhere you can name in NC.
Old 20th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
Well, OK, if we're going to praise Wisconsin, they do have a huge and varied collection of Frank Lloyd Wright buildings, not least Taliesin, and the Johnson Wax building. They give tours of both, and others besides.

But to give Chicago (hey there Hudson!) it's due, there are some nice FLW buildings there too, not to mention Louis Sullivan buildings. If you're an architecture fan there are a lot worse places to be than the Chicago-Milwaukee corridor. Like anywhere you can name in NC.
But you have the world's largest chest of drawers! (which I'm gonna visit when I'm down that way in a few weeks)
Old 20th April 2017
RPC
Gear Maniac

Ahem...getting back to the original subject...Metric Halo ULN-8 is overkill for your specs (8 analog channels each way) and has a few restrictions (Firewire interface, Mac only), but is very neutral and has wonderful mike preamps built in. If you don't need the preamps, the LIO-8 is an option. Either is well within your price range.

(Wisconsin - land of 100 cheeses: cheddar, mild cheddar, sharp cheddar, extra sharp cheddar, cheddar with onions...)
Old 22nd April 2017
Lives for gear

Recently I discovered the sound of the arfi-adc2 - artistic fidelity ad-converter. This is from a great German company called Acousence. The sound offered was fantastic. I would like to get one in here to hear it up close and personal.

Here I use DAD, Digital Audio Denmark, a/d and Prism ATLAS. Using Crane Song Solaris for d/a here.

DAD is fantastic and has the sound that is very very close to the line out from my Neve.

Prism offers an Aristocratic sound that is highly seductive.
Old 28th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Recently I discovered the sound of the arfi-adc2 - artistic fidelity ad-converter. This is from a great German company called Acousence. The sound offered was fantastic. I would like to get one in here to hear it up close and personal.

Here I use DAD, Digital Audio Denmark, a/d and Prism ATLAS. Using Crane Song Solaris for d/a here.

DAD is fantastic and has the sound that is very very close to the line out from my Neve.
Totally agree with you!
The Acousense is really impressive.

Cheu
Old 4th May 2017
Gear Head
+1 for Prism Sound - I use Lyra 2
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Lyra 2 is excellent. Well within your budget!!
Loading mentioned products ...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search