The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , , , ,

looking for advice on a portable recording setup
Old 7th January 2008
Gear Head

Lightbulb looking for advice on a portable recording setup

Hi, I record local bands from my home project studio using my electronic drum kit at the moment and i'm wanting to expand by recording live acoustic drums in either the venue I work at or renting a fairly treated practice room where i can take all my gear in to track drums as me and my clients have had enough of midi drum sounds. The rest of the recording and editing will take place at my project studio at home and i don't see myself moving into my own studio for at least another 2 years.

I'm in the process of ordering my lap top and i've got all my mics ready but i need some help choosing some mic pre's within a DAW setup. I was looking to buy about a year ago and I got really interested in buying 2x rme 800's as I would have the 8 mic pre's I need plus the extra line inputs for scratch vocals/guitars all through a single cable. Is this still the best way to go or has anything better come along since? I know the focusrite isa 828 is out now but it doesn't have enough inputs i need on its own.

I'm looking to spend £1500 ($3000) on 8 mic pre's with at least an extra 4 inputs for scratch recordings. These mic pre's will be used on my location recording setup as my home setup is already in place and about 80% of the time will be used for drums. Brand awareness and nice features don't concern me that much as i'm looking to get the best mic pre's for my cash.

Also if anyone has any other suggestions then please let me know.

Thanks in advance,
Aaron
Old 26th February 2008
Gear Maniac

ive got 2 rme octamics that id sell for 1400euro(both with adat card)...i upgraded to the focusrites recently.....
tris..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search