Old 31st October 2007
Gear maniac

Question Chaining microphone cables

Does sound quality suffer alot if I were to chain my 2 30 foot cables together to make a 60 foot cable? I have a live performance I need to record saturday and I only have 4 - 30ft cables, and I need 2 cables 50+ feet and I'm cheap...
Old 31st October 2007
Lives for gear

as long as the XLR connects are high quality, and the soldering job is a good one, shouldn't make that much of a difference.

of course, assuming that it's a balanced signal. if it's unbalanced, forget 60ft.
Old 31st October 2007
Gear maniac

Yes sir, XLR, high quality doubtfull :P I don't even know what kind they are...
Old 1st November 2007
Lives for gear

As long as your connectors and cables are fine, you'll be fine. I chain cables all the time. I try to avoid it, but sometimes you don't have a choice.

--Ben
Old 1st November 2007
Banned

Each connection adds a point of failure, but, as others have pointed out, if you use quality cables then you'll be fine. Make sure the XLR's do not have broken locking tabs.
Old 1st November 2007
Gear addict

If it helps, I've chained three 50 footers together in a pinch. I sort of built my own 6 ch snake with returns for FOH amps this way. Though hardly noticeable, your highs will diminish as the distance lengthens... But I didn't notice a great change comparing 30' and 150' [edit: using quality parts on the custom-made 50 footers, btw]
Old 1st November 2007
Gear Head

Just make sure nobody got clever and lifted the ground on one end of the cables!

-Keith
Old 1st November 2007
Super Moderator

Excellent.

I'm with you folks on these points

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblotted View Post
as long as the XLR connects are high quality, and the soldering job is a good one, shouldn't make that much of a difference.

of course, assuming that it's a balanced signal. if it's unbalanced, forget 60ft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post
As long as your connectors and cables are fine, you'll be fine. I chain cables all the time. I try to avoid it, but sometimes you don't have a choice.

--Ben
Quote:
Originally Posted by bishopthomas View Post
Each connection adds a point of failure, but, as others have pointed out, if you use quality cables then you'll be fine. Make sure the XLR's do not have broken locking tabs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Testing123 View Post
Just make sure nobody got clever and lifted the ground on one end of the cables!

-Keith
Old 3rd November 2007
Lives for gear

perfect application for a proper test set (such as Terrasonde/Sencore, or my favorite Minirator & Minilyzer) to measure continuity, polarity, and voltage over frequency. When I link multiple XLRs I always test them like this.

I also test all my XLR cables this way in advance when the gear is being prepped for a gig anyway...

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search