Old 2nd July 2007
  #1
Gear addict
 
springer's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Lightbulb X-Y panning guidelines

First time poster here - be gentle...
OK - I know they should be hard right and left not panned, but when you have X-Y set on the piano who is situated far right and X-Y on overheads for drums situated far left - how do you pan these babies without running into phase issues and still have a coherent image?
Let the knowledge flow...
Thanks in advance,
Patrick
Old 2nd July 2007
  #2
Lives for gear
 

In my experience XY imaging is not very wide to begin with and to my ears, sounds best hard panned. However, because the capsules are so close, this virtually eliminates phase issues when the two channels are panned in closer. You should have no problems narrowing them to taste. This is one of the advantages of XY.

-Z-
Old 2nd July 2007
  #3
Lives for gear
 
d_fu's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
First time poster here - be gentle...
OK - I know they should be hard right and left not panned, but when you have X-Y set on the piano who is situated far right and X-Y on overheads for drums situated far left - how do you pan these babies without running into phase issues and still have a coherent image?
XY being coincident, there will be no phase issues.
You can also reduce the L/R separation by simply reducing the angle between the capsules slighty.
Old 2nd July 2007
  #4
Super Moderator
 
Remoteness's Avatar
diddo
Old 2nd July 2007
  #5
Lives for gear
 
pkautzsch's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakco View Post
In my experience XY imaging is not very wide to begin with and to my ears, sounds best hard panned. However, because the capsules are so close, this virtually eliminates phase issues when the two channels are panned in closer. You should have no problems narrowing them to taste. This is one of the advantages of XY.

-Z-
Image width of XY is proportional to the angle between the mics. Wider angle - wider image. One can often see XY at 90° which for lots of applications is way too narrow. See also http://www.rycote.com/products/pdf/T...nic%20Zoom.pdf


Quote:
Originally Posted by d_fu View Post
XY being coincident, there will be no phase issues.
You can also reduce the L/R separation by simply reducing the angle between the capsules slighty.
I think what the original poster means is phase issues caused by bleed between two sets of XY mics, the piano pair also picking up drums.
If keeping to the 3:1 rule, ie the piano pair being at least 3 times farther from the drums than the drum pair, usually there won't be any issues. It's not always easy to stick to 3:1, especially on crowded stages.
Old 3rd July 2007
  #6
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkautzsch View Post
Image width of XY is proportional to the angle between the mics. Wider angle - wider image. One can often see XY at 90° which for lots of applications is way too narrow. See also http://www.rycote.com/products/pdf/T...nic%20Zoom.pdf
Good point, I should have said "traditional XY" or something to that effect. I don't think that was the point of the original post though.

-Zak
Post Reply

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
SLS / Mastering forum
57
Geert van den Berg / Post Production forum!
0
Charles Dye / Music Computers
31
Charles Dye / Expert Question & Answer Archives
31

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search