The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pyramix and Protools on the same computer DAW Software
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Pyramix and Protools on the same computer

I'm asking this question here rather than the DAW forum because it seems like all the people who actually use Pyramix are regulars here.

The question is whether there are any known issues with ProTools and Pyramix coexisting on the same computer. I'm in the process of getting PMX set up on a new Lenovo Thinkpad, and figured I'd ask before potentially screwing up the PMX installation by installing PT12.

Thanks for any insight!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Surely the only issue is the shared (not similtaneous) use of a single instance of the ASIO driver. How can there be anything else?

I have Reaper, Wavelab and Pyramix on the same machines. No issues.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

David, do you run more than one at a time?

D.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
David, I find that if I have Reaper open I can run it with a PCI express ASIO driver, but if I then open Wavelab as well, it demands the use of ASIO4ALL as a separate driver...if I'm swapping between the 2 applications ? Is that your experience as well ?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

You can run into incompatibilities in shared components, for one. Also, when an application installs, it can make registry entries that cause problems with other apps. These are just two of many problems that can occur. You almost never see anything like that in OSX. ProTools, for example, installs this insidious piece of software called the "Avid Application Manager", which appears to do nothing useful apart from annoying you by taking focus away from your foreground application and chatting with its servers. There are many ways in which installed applications can interfere with each other or cause each other to stop working altogether. And on Windows, it's very difficult to debug because of the unending permutations of hardware and software combinations that are possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
Surely the only issue is the shared (not similtaneous) use of a single instance of the ASIO driver. How can there be anything else?

I have Reaper, Wavelab and Pyramix on the same machines. No issues.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
David, do you run more than one at a time?

D.
No. I think you can only have one instance of an ASIO driver running.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
David, I find that if I have Reaper open I can run it with a PCI express ASIO driver, but if I then open Wavelab as well, it demands the use of ASIO4ALL as a separate driver...if I'm swapping between the 2 applications ? Is that your experience as well ?
I purposely don't run more than one DAW at a time.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwanajim View Post
You can run into incompatibilities in shared components, for one. Also, when an application installs, it can make registry entries that cause problems with other apps. These are just two of many problems that can occur.
I must say I have never experienced this.

Quote:
There are many ways in which installed applications can interfere with each other or cause each other to stop working altogether.
I can understand if trying to address the same hardware, but purely as software I cannot see it, unless they are poorly written. Never had this trouble with DAW's at least WL, Reaper or PMX.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
ASIO4ALL and the Echo PCI (or Audiofire) drivers work fine in parallel, don't get in each other's way, if I have both Reaper and Wavelab open...editing in one then pre-mastering in the other.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search