The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
In rack recorder for mobile recording? Audio Interfaces
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

In rack recorder for mobile recording?

I had a dream a few years back of traveling around interviewing interesting people. Then, somewhere along the way I picked up a wife, now I got kids roaming about the house. Anyhow, the Mrs. told me the other day that she'd like to see us try to go about doing that.

For the most part, I plan on 1 on 1 recording, and I can record straight into my SD702, no problems. But I do anticipate frequent enough 1 on 2 recording. I'd like to be able to record up to eight channels simultaneously. (I can see bigger discussion happening on occasion)

I'm looking for something rack-mountable, either an interface or a digital recorder. I use Windows, so thunderbolt is out (at least until its more widely available and with better support.) I almost bought a Clarrett 8PreX, but thankfully a friend warned me that there's no TBT3 support yet on Windows. For now USB or Dante seem to be the way to go for easy connectivity to laptop/desktop.

I am tempted by the inexpensiveness of the Scarlett 18i20, but I had a 2i2, six years ago, I believe it was. I could never get a good level into DAW for recording. Whenever I did get the levels up high enough, the ins were clipping. I'm also not sure I'd love the quality of the AD/DA at this price.

I'm willing to go as high as $2500, but I already have a chunk of pricey equipment on the list, so savings are always nice. I'd love to keep it $1000-1500.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
Curious why you are considering a laptop and rack mount interface for this job, and not a high track count recorder /mixer, such as a SD Mixpre6 or Mixpre10T.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Interface is an option, though I'd much prefer a rack-mount recorder, my hesitance on recorder seems that, there really just aren't options out there, not that I'm finding, the few that do exist push or exceed the limits of cost.

In the rack means I can keep things cabled up and ready to go. That means I can keep up and down times low, or at least lower. While I prefer a recorder, an interface still lets me keep everything else wired and just send power and a single input to the laptop.

Failing all else the Mixpre 10T is my fallback plan. But I don't want to go there if I don't have to.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Zoom F8 is all you need.
It can also act as a USB interface as well as a 8 channel stand alone recorder.

I have two, they are amazing units for the money!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpmonkey View Post
In the rack means I can keep things cabled up and ready to go.
Yeah, but then you need to tote around that rack; seems like more work then plugging on mic cable into a MixPre10 or Zoom.

Okay, there is always JoeCo but you'll need preamps and at least an iPad and JoeCo remote if you want "at hand" information and not just the little meters on the 1U recorder.

D.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

If I go with a portable recorder it'll be Sound Devices. I have been quite disappointed in the sound I've heard from the Zoom F8. Again, I really want an in-the rack solution.

I've just recently noticed the RME UFX II can record direct to USB. That may well be the way to go.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

I have plans to be recording through SSL X-Rack mic pres. I figure I'll be recording in un-treated spaces, and less than ideal, so, It seems worth the pain to lug a box that will let me better handle things.

Hoping to pick up a Mynx and a Mic-pre and Dynamics module to put my theory on that to the test early next year. Thankfully I live in a terrible place for recording, so it's good for sussing out what works and what doesn't.

But, yeah, if it really doesn't pan out, a 10t and some mics is definitely a much simpler way to be.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

JWH,
I'll have to look into the Cymatic recorder. Thanks for the tip.

Thomas,
I already have an SD702, so I'm covered for two channels. I need at minimum an 8 channel recorder.
Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search