The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ear training
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Ear training

What resources could you point to, for me to systematically train my "ears", other than the usual experimentation and listening? I remember reading of a well known mastering engineer who would test intern applicants with a CD of various tracks which contained phase issues etc... I've wondered ever since then if there was something similar I could use proactively, to help me identify problems on set faster.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klimermonk View Post
What resources could you point to, for me to systematically train my "ears", other than the usual experimentation and listening? I remember reading of a well known mastering engineer who would test intern applicants with a CD of various tracks which contained phase issues etc... I've wondered ever since then if there was something similar I could use proactively, to help me identify problems on set faster.
Become a musician and then you get all the ear training you will ever need ...
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Yes, many of us have got decades of that... it's a methodical "engineering ear training" curriculum that I'd happily pay for. Your analogy is spot on... people practice instruments daily, why not some randomized materials to work through for 30 minutes a day, as a kind of disciplined brain exercise? My difficulty is that in the heat of a session I wish I could identify some odd reflection or other issue with speed. I don't do this every day, so I need a workout routine other than general critical listening.

Perhaps the consensus that this always requires in-person mentorship? Sometimes I wonder how much beer money some of you fellows would want, for a guy like me to shadow him regularly.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

I used to use TrainYourEars

They brought out a V2 which I bought yesterday. So useful. There are 2 modes.

Mode1:- Guess. A frequency is added / subtracted to either noise or your music. You have to guess which frequency and (depending on difficulty) how much by

Mode2 (which is new to V2) :- Fix. You aren't given the "before" only the new sound with a frequency change. You then have to "fix" this by adjusting. E.g they might knock out 60Hz by 6db so you have to dial 6db of 60Hz to make it work.
Old 5 days ago
I've used TYE and I agree that it's great for identifying tonal & timbral issues. What I would love is an addition to the software that allows you to ear-train for things like phase, (level) compression, (file) compression and various types of distortion.

I've been a pianist for 23 years, but I couldn't hear compression until I started mixing. I think it's an entirely different listening skill.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel@mineral View Post
I've used TYE and I agree that it's great for identifying tonal & timbral issues. What I would love is an addition to the software that allows you to ear-train for things like phase, (level) compression, (file) compression and various types of distortion.

I've been a pianist for 23 years, but I couldn't hear compression until I started mixing. I think it's an entirely different listening skill.
I think they said a long time ago they might have had plans for a compression based one but it never happened... shame

Distortion would be awesome. They do the EQ one so well it would be a shame for them not to expand and offer more products
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Last edited by Folkie; 5 days ago at 05:00 AM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search