The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Otari (?) Miniature Time Code Reader
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Otari (?) Miniature Time Code Reader

After the mysterious tape machine question, here's another.

Many moons ago, I owned a little time code reader. It was in a whitish metal case, maybe 4" x 4" x 1", had Japanese XLR connectors on the rear panel, a belt clip on the bottom, and a little time code display and two push-buttons on the front. One of those buttons was a time code freeze button, which is why I am looking.

I really think it was made by Otari, but I can't find an example on the web anywhere so that makes it kinda hard to find one, perhaps, for sale.

Anyone know of what I speak?

D.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Otari EC-201, a project of the late Harvey Warnke's when he worked at Otari in Redwood City CA in the 1980s. As you can see by the rear panel photo, the box was actually made in the USA. It's a great tool, mine saw a LOT of use! (And still works.) Even though it is from standard-def times, it reads 23.98 and 24 fr TC just fine, and reshapes the TC on the way to its output. The extra mini jack on the back of mine was for a quick mod Harvey did that gave me a TC field rate output, which was extremely useful in all sorts of sync fixes and oddball situations in those days--essentially stripping off a sync pulse from the TC usable in various film camera syncing schemes. Many of these boxes ended up attached to the meter bridges of Otari MTR-series analog decks used in post, as a reader for their CTTC heads. The faceplate on mine was broken doing the work it often did--being the TC readout for a scripty on-set. The "freeze display" feature was a Godsend for scripties who had to grab TC numbers on the fly while watching action. Unlike a phone or any display driven by wifi etc, this box is as accurate as a TC slate, and we used it as such many times.
Attached Thumbnails
Otari (?) Miniature Time Code Reader-img_5226.jpg   Otari (?) Miniature Time Code Reader-img_5227.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Yes! I knew someone would know. You rock!

And the display on mine cracked as well. Musta been the weak spot on an otherwise sturdy little box. Should never have sold it, along with my 1976 chevy van

Now to find one for sale. I am sure one will show up on eBay.

D.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I have seen them for sale on Ebay in the past. Most seem to be in very good condition. Best of luck in finding one.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search