The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What Tape Machine Is It?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

What Tape Machine Is It?

Exhaustive Google search sheds no light.

What is the prominently featured reel to reel tape machine on the desk in the interrogation scenes in the movie Atomic Blonde?

There is some info on the Nagra sitting on the desk (pretty rare I'm told) but nothing on the boxy RTR. It has Uher reels on it, but that doesn't make it a Uher.

Anyone got the dirt?

D.
Old 1 week ago
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Nope. Much more pro and industrial. Next contestant please

D.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Also, could be something invented by the prop department. It did pull tap tho so there is that.

D.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I'm thinking a Nagra TRVR.

D.
Attached Thumbnails
What Tape Machine Is It?-trvr.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I think you got it. I sure used to love tape machines - we had a 3M M23 8track and a scully 280 2 track at the studio in the early 70s, and I had a Teac 3300 1/2 track at home to play masters on. Good times...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
There are some weird Nagras in the Cold War era, data, surveillance and VTs
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

By the way, the first time I heard of Nagra was in the 1980s when I watched the art film "Diva" (an enjoyable film, by the way; I've watched it dozens of times). The film opens with a live performance that's being surreptitiously recorded on a Nagra by a postman who has an obsessive crush on the diva. He's got some good sound equipment in his amazingly decorated loft as well.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorman View Post
I think you got it. I sure used to love tape machines
Oh, me too. Used to run the twin Ampex MM1200s 2" machines on the Record Plant Black Truck occasionally (I was usually one of two "stage guys.") I had my fair share of Nagras (III, 4.2, IV-S, IV Harvey Board) and always wanted another or two. Owned a Ferrograph Super Seven (what a beast!) and my favorite of all time, a Sony TC-153 professional cassette machine which I kept religiously aligned with the proper MRL tape and played a large library of self-made cassettes dubbed from LPs. Sounded phenomenal!

Always totally lusted for a Revox, and that dream made it's way through the A-series to the B-series as I learned more. May still buy one some day although I have no real (reel?) need for one.

My friend just bought a mint Nagra IV-S and will be using it, with the rare QGB 10" reel adapter to record live music straight to tape (through a Sonosax mixer, lucky bastard), and then cut this directly to limited vinyl. What a retro world we live in where this could be a sell-able product. I do love it all as well.

D.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
I had a valve Revox (G36) before I had a car!
Then I bought a Morris Mini Countryman, half timbered estate car for it
Strangely the huge Pabst motor in the G36 failed so it went back to the importers in Windsor
Hammonds, they imported Organs too
My other friends had B&O machines, these had fabulous deck logistics which enabled miraculous dub editing with the pause button, but the Studer mechs and mic amps were far better
I upgraded to an A77 which was not as cool as the valve beast, but it didn't groan or scrape as much
Ive still got a IV-S and a Sonosax mixer but would not dream of going back to mechanical recording
Roger
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I recently worked on a project with old tape reels that were shredding tape and white powder like crazy. There were even dead insects between the tape and reel.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo 46 View Post
I had a valve Revox (G36) before I had a car!
Then I bought a Morris Mini Countryman, half timbered estate car for it
Strangely the huge Pabst motor in the G36 failed so it went back to the importers in Windsor
Hammonds, they imported Organs too
That might be one reason why Willi Studer wasn't happy with pabst and started building his own motors in Switzerland for the C37 machines since the mk2..

Cheu
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search