The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neumann km185 Condenser Microphones
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Neumann km185

Anyone using 185’s for vocal ensembles. XY or similar configuration. Im thinking of getting a set for this purpose and for spot micing in larger ensembles.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Hi,

The 185 is a hypercardio, you'll loose low frequencies vs a cardio and of course an omni.
It won't be my first choice for vocal ensemble recording.
And as a spot mic in larger ensembles, same problem.

Of course everything is also about money, but if you have enough to buy a KM185 stereo set and if you want to go Neumann, may be you should give a look to the KM 184.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I have a pair of 185s. I find them very useful for Choirs (I use a NOS spacing) when the choir is immediately behind an Orchestra and I have to place the choir spot stand or suspend them above the back of the ensemble. They also work great in Cathedral settings for TV where I have to mic the choir from either side with stands spaced so as not to be visible on camera. They have very good 'reach'. They are noticeably thin sounding compared to a Cardioid though, but the advantages of the pattern in reducing orchestra spill is worth it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hyper-cardioids have their place in acoustic music recording. But not a big place, in my experience. I have one pair. I almost never use them.

So if you are adding to a locker that already has a few sets of cardioids and omnis, they might find a spot (sorry) but if this is your first pair, or even third or fourth, I'd consider a more suitable pattern for "every day."

Just my $.02 as always and that, and five dollars will buy you a Starbucks.

D.

And for an additional $.04, I count myself among those who don't think the Neumann 18x series sounds very good. Pages yea and nay on that opinion abound here and elsewhere. I got rid of mine really quickly.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Thanks I have some 184's and 4011's already but I'm looking at tight polar a patterns to allow a bit more distance to the performers and a bit more freedom for monitoring if required. Maybe I need to rethink
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

The job I was buying them for is for quartets who require mics about 1.5m away and below chest height. And require some light monitoring
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Yep. Where I use my Schoeps Mk41 heads is for exactly that use. Spot mics with a little distance. Sounds like you have a perfect reason for buying these mics.

D.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

There are other options in the price range that I think sound better. Check out Sennheiser MKH-50, for one (which I think also sounds better than the new 8050, but that is also an option and is even closer in price to a 185). Also the Geffell M940 if you can live with a (tiny) LD mic that somehow has as good supercardioid pattern control as most SD mics.
Of course Schoeps 41 is probably the best supercardioid for this application if you can stretch the budget.
Compared to all of these, the 185 is just ok.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasbin View Post
Also the Geffell M940 if you can live with a (tiny) LD mic that somehow has as good supercardioid pattern control as most SD mics.
If it's anything like the M930 and M950, then it's a great bargain. I LOVE the M950. I like it more the schoeps MK21.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I can get a pair of 185's for a steal at the moment. But I wouldn't bother if they are not fit for purpose

Last edited by THE_NIK; 2 weeks ago at 12:24 AM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
I have MKH8050's and highly recommend them. I do live recording in a 200 yr old barn at the Old Songs Festival using these mics.
There are FOH speakers but no monitors. We use one 8050 for each performer at approx. 2' distance aimed up at the mouth at a 45deg angle to simultaneously capture the vocal plus instrument and feed recording and PA. Sounds very natural and mic bleed is very nice.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Also the MKH8050's sound great (and have plenty of low-end response (roll-off
starting around 35Hz) on every instrument I have tried them on including (flute, brass, bagpipe, bass drum, acoustic bass, acoustic guitar, sax, clarinet, bassoon, violin, cello, kalimba, oud, erhu, piano, Jew's harp, dulcimer, drum overhead...).
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Great thank you for giving me more options.

I am now trying to readjust my overblown microphone expenditure this year.... again..... just after i came to terms with my last couple of purchases.

How do you rate the DPA4018's. I already have a few DPA's and i very happy with them. and if im going to be spending over 1000 each as with mkh50, Schoeps CMC-641 and the MKH 50 are they worth having in the pot.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Gefell is on my list as well but not for this application as being discrete is high up on the list.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut
I'm not mad about Neumann mic's. It's very subjective though.
Old 4 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_NIK View Post
The job I was buying them for is for quartets who require mics about 1.5m away and below chest height. And require some light monitoring
They work very well. Also good for spotting a soprano.
anywhere where the roll off is not an issue but some isolation and "visibility" is. Sometimes it is the KM 150 sometimes the KM 140. When I am not worried about camera or audience lines, I use 4011.
Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search