The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What reverb are you using these days? Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

What reverb are you using these days?

Since so much of my work is done in less than ideal conditions and spaces, I find that achieving a realistic reverb remains my primary difficulty. Generally it always works out to the clients satisfaction, and I know I am a bit obsessive about it, but I still feel like I should be able to do better.

I was using flux verb session until I decided to stop using the asinine iLok system, and went back to Valhalla and SIR convolution verbs. Valhalla is okay, but I really like some of the M7, 480L, and M6000 impulse responses that I use in SIR. However, SIR 1 is 32 bit, and gives me intermittent problems in 64bit windows 10, so I have been evaluating reverberate, waves, etc.

Anyway, what reverb plugs or gear are you guys using and recommending these days? Thanks.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I use Valhalla Room on classical and choral fare, and I'm pleased with what I can make it do after knob-twiddling, especially at this plugin's comparatively low echelon of the market. I posted two excerpts of a recent recording, one with Valhalla Room and the other identical but dry.
Attached Files

Ein' feste Burg (dry).mp3 (1.34 MB, 1691 views)

Ein' feste Burg (reverb).mp3 (1.34 MB, 1652 views)

Old 3 weeks ago
Hey, I use SIR convolution verbs and Valhalla vintage. Thats it.

A.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Exponential Audio Phoenix or its recent more versatile replacement Nimbus, but you're not into iLok...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Bricasti and Lex 300 for hardware and Exponential and Altiverb for plugins. Use whatever is best for the given project.

--Ben
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Overloud Breverb. Really easy to get nice sounds quickly on the master buss.
Sonnox Reverb is great for speech and vocals.
WaveArts MasterVerb is nice for acoustic instruments.
Eventide Room2016 plugin is cool for when you need a thick washy sound and realism is not a requirement.
NomadFactory BlueVerb has spectacular sounding EMT plate emulations.
Waves Abbey Road Plates is on par with BlueVerb in sound and also gives you added control of the amp saturation.
The iZotope oZone reverb in versions 1-5 was one of the best parts of the whole plugin, if you can find it.

I think iZotope, Sonnox, Eventide and WaveArts require the iLok though. I would start with BlueVerb and Breverb, being that they're the least expensive. They also happen to be the easiest to get a good sound from and together cover pretty much all "the bases".
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Altiverb 7 user here.
Most of time I try to capture the natural acoustic of the room with dedicated room microphones. I use Altiverb for the spot microphones and to my ears - and to my clients ears also :-) - it works.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I am using Samplitude which includes a package for room sounds. I have not had luck with it. There was iZotrope Nectar Elements included with the latest release of SAM and I am happy with that. Were I more self-indulgent I would be part of the Bricasti Brigade. That is a sweet package.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Softube TSAR1 for orchestral recordings, Altiverb for chamber music.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Yardstick and IRCAM/Flux Verb v3.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Honestly, since the M7 moved into my rack, I have not once reached out for anything else
Essential for me is however the combination with Exponential Audios M7 Control plugin.

Last edited by macduncan; 3 weeks ago at 11:31 AM.. Reason: Grammar
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Old 3 weeks ago
RPC
Gear Maniac

Another happy Altiverb user here.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
AKG BX 20 and M7 for serious work and for rough mixes Hofa reverb and sir.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Usually hardware here:
Quantec
Lexicon 92
t.c. electronic 4000

soft:
TSAR
Ircam
Old 3 weeks ago
Altiverb is nice, but lately I've been using Exponential products (Pheonix and R4).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Usually hardware here:
Quantec
Lexicon 92
t.c. electronic 4000

soft:
TSAR
Ircam
Can you talk more about TSAR and Ircam? I too use Lex hardware and have enjoyed the TC4000. Those are great when you're printing live to 2channel. But for projects that have a little post-production budget, I like software plugins that avoid real-time passes.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I recommend trying Spaces from East West.

I use Phoenix and Valhalla verbs, too.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Check out melda Turbo reverb, it's pretty insane, comes with a scripting language to design your own reverb algorithms if you choose. As a result, each of the presets is essentially a whole different reverb plugin.

It allows you to analyse impulse responses, sort of reverse engineering them, giving you individual control over the echoes. So many other great features like a smart seeding generator, spectral reverb, crossovers like tonal vs noise, etc.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by avillalta View Post
Altiverb is nice, but lately I've been using Exponential products (Pheonix and R4).

Can you talk more about TSAR and Ircam? I too use Lex hardware and have enjoyed the TC4000. Those are great when you're printing live to 2channel. But for projects that have a little post-production budget, I like software plugins that avoid real-time passes.
Both plug-ins, TSAR and IRCAM (Flux) are very good but do not compare to the hardware I prefer. QUANTEC is the best there is and nothing can compare to its halls and churches.

TSAR is a quick and good sounding reverb from SoftTube. It is high quality and does not suck computer resources. It has an easy user interface where one dials in the percentage of required reverb. It has pretty good presets and is customizable very quickly.

IRCAM VERB reverb is from Flux and is more sophisticated than TSAR. It has many more parameters and these take time and experimentation to learn.

Quite a real sound but always sounds like convolution. I admire the French and what they offer with this one. Very believable and credible sounds. Much better than Altiverb and Sonnox which sounds artificial to me.

HOWEVER, CANNOT in ANY way approach the nobility of the sound of QUANTEC.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Bricasti hard and Altiverb soft. Like them both.

D.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Also try Seventh Heaven for the best ITB version of Bricasti - it's very good at blending and sounding natural
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hard - seventh heaven would have been my first choice except that I am DONE with iLok. I am demoing reverberate with my set of M7 IRs and it is working very well.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I have the UA EMT reverbs and 140 plate along with Waves Abby Road plates however the Waves H-Verb has a lot more advanced enhancements and controls than all the rest: but it does suck up a lot of processing power.
Hugh
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I really do try to use the room, church, hall acoustics I'm in as much as possible...even if that's also a ratatouille of aircraft, traffic, air-conditioning hum and lighting buzz...rather than go in close with directional mics and lose it ! Bricasti M7 and M3000 as add-ons
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I use Logic Space Designer
I always note the paths from stage to walls and emulate them with first reflection delays if the natural verb is pudding
Roger
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo 46 View Post
I use Logic Space Designer
I always note the paths from stage to walls and emulate them with first reflection delays if the natural verb is pudding
Roger
Roger, I know this is off topic, but I'm intrigued by this: do you use Logic as a mixing and final output package? By extension, do you use it for recording?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Pieter I use Logic Waveburner to produce CDs
I record on a Nagra VI and have a SD702 for lightweight use
WB dates from 2007 but is still mountable on Sierra OS
I can do edits impossible in my tape splicing Radio days and I like the Adaptive limiters, Space and Delay designers, the plates and rooms
The meters are good and its simple and fairly intuitive after 10 yrs practice...
Roger
Old 3 weeks ago
All hardware in this all analog studio (except the recorder).

The Bricasti M7 and a stack of Lexicons float my analog boat.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo 46 View Post
Pieter I use Logic Waveburner to produce CDs
I record on a Nagra VI and have a SD702 for lightweight use
WB dates from 2007 but is still mountable on Sierra OS
I can do edits impossible in my tape splicing Radio days and I like the Adaptive limiters, Space and Delay designers, the plates and rooms
The meters are good and its simple and fairly intuitive after 10 yrs practice...
Roger
Roger, very interesting; thank you!

I used to use WB as well, back around the times you mention...and earlier.

Yes, Nagra and SD for recording. How could I forget?

I've been a very long time Logic user (since the 90s), although as my musical recording/work environment has changed so much over the years, I keep thinking I need to be looking at some of the more popular environments often referenced here...but...maybe I should stick with it. It works, I know it, and I'm not producing commercial classical/acoustic recordings; just my own work.

Back to effects!

I still want a Quantec one day. As it is, my main hardware is Lexicon and Kurzweil. I use Space Designer regularly though, mostly, lately. Great endorsement for that, coming from you!

The IRCAM stuff sure looks interesting though.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I like VSS3. I I also use fabfilter and softube TSAR. Cubase bulletin revalation also get used now and then.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search