The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Show reel
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Show reel

Anybody here use showreels or have good examples of showreels. I have a lot of recorded material across varying genres and from studios and location recordings.
I'm not sure how to organise it all. i would also like to credit the artists composers etc. I may even split the genres up ??? what do yous reckon.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Most of the voice over demo CDs we get are broken down into Commercials and Documentaries snippets with about 15 seconds of each commercial or documentary. There are usually 10 to 15 commercials and 6 to 10 documentaries.

What would be the purpose of this "show reel". Would you send it out to potential clients? Just wondering.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Yep potential clients and as a page on a web site. Its all music though.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I think that a "show reel" is a very good idea. I do use them.

Besides demonstrating your recording expertise and the fine groups you work with, it can show your creativity in putting together the music in a certain order that compliments the presentation.

Revise your reel every year since, no doubt, you will have recorded new cool sounds that need to be shown off to the public.

My reel is on my Soundcloud page referenced below.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Thank you. some lovely recording on your sound cloud i especially liked Grieg: Morning Mood. what binaural mic was used on it. sounds like a lovely room as well. curios about placement as well up and over decca-ish position ???

Last edited by THE_NIK; 1 week ago at 03:37 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_NIK View Post
Anybody here use showreels or have good examples of showreels. I have a lot of recorded material across varying genres and from studios and location recordings.
I'm not sure how to organise it all. i would also like to credit the artists composers etc. I may even split the genres up ??? what do yous reckon.
Couple things.

First, gather all the contenders up and give them to a few people you trust and get their take on what's good. Your perspective is skewed because you were there.

Also, and this is cynical but true, fame trumps merit. People will be more impressed by an okay track by someone they've heard of than a brilliant track by an unknown. And take this for what it's worth, but in the host's admin area of my website there's a thing called a hits log. People will say, "I'm calling because I really like what you did on that stuff for The Simpsons and Disneyland," or whatever, and I'll look at the hits log and see they didn't actually listen to anything.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Thanks Brent. That makes sense. I like most of the recordings and i think id be tempted to put into much as well.

That was the idea behind maybe trying to credit the composers orchestras etc.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_NIK View Post
I have sensed a problem with offering showreels as you call it. Most musicians are not able to designate bad or good interpretation from bad or good technical recording quality. I have sent demo's around, but have stopped with that years ago. Since recording for me is some kind of side activity, I usually do not work with the most famous musicians, and I have received negative comments about the sound of my recordings, just because musicians did not like the interpretation of a piece of music. Those recordings they favored, where actually from a technical point of view not very brilliant at all, but probably they based their judgement on an outstanding performance.

No showreels here !
Old 1 day ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adorno View Post
... have received negative comments about the sound of my recordings, just because musicians did not like the interpretation of a piece of music. Those recordings they favored, where actually from a technical point of view not very brilliant at all, but probably they based their judgement on an outstanding performance.
In lots of different artistic pursuits, it's not unusual for the artist to hate what the public loves.

Just sticking to music, I know an Austin-based singer-songwriter who has tons of cuts on his stuff, but got most of his money and fame from a silly novelty song that became a huge hit. He has never gotten over the fact that that song is what people to show up to hear, and they could care less about his "serious" songs. He cries all the way to the bank.

And when I was a wee tyke I worked in a restaurant in Cambridge Mass. with a young lady whose parents would rent out rooms in their enormous Victorian. One permanent tenant (though he was rarely there) was Van Morrison. Apparently one evening the four of them got immensely, Irishly drunk and Van delivered an hour-long soliloquy on the subject of how he ruined his life the day he wrote "Domino."
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search