The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Heath Quartet - Tippett - Wigmore Hall set up
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Heath Quartet - Tippett - Wigmore Hall set up

Does anyone have any thoughts on the mic setup in this video of the Heath Quartet playing at Wigmore Hall? I think during the recording of their Tippett string quartets CD which I have. I really like the sound recording so am trying to understand how it was recorded.

At around 5:55 - images attached

There are 6 suspended mics plus what look like 2 floor mounted.
Am I right in thinking that 2 are ambient mics suspended over the audience position?
4 are mounted behind the quartet in NOS with outside omnis aimed at the players? Behind to be out of the audience's way.
The 2 floor mics are spot / accents?

If I am reasonably close with my thoughts then I will have learnt a bit over the last year with my recording
Thanks for any comments.
Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Heath Quartet - Tippett - Wigmore Hall set up-heath-quartet-wigmore-hall.jpg   Heath Quartet - Tippett - Wigmore Hall set up-heath-quartet-wigmore-hall-2.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

That's a lotta mics.

D.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
That's a lotta mics.
Sure is
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I really like the recorded sound too. A great group.

Contact Darius Weinberg at Tel: 020 7258 8200. He is the person in charge of Wigmore Hall Live. He can advise you who recorded this and you can ask the engineer.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
I've heard them live, and not my favourite quartet by a long shot. They play well, and together, and technically good, but it finishes there.

And yes, too many mic's and a congested sound in the loud passages.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for the comments.
According to the CD sleeve the engineer is Steve Portnoi at Outhouse audio. I will contact him but thought it would be too cheeky to do so....
He can always take the enquiry as a compliment - which it is.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Tell him Gearslutz sent you.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Might be better to say that Tippet sent you! The old boy was very English - and yes I met him - and yes I liked some of his music. Played quite a bit professionally. However, his quartet music needs an interpreter, and the Heath are OK but not musical enough. And as I say, the recording was a bit naff.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search