The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , ,

Mid-side (M/S) recording with Sennheiser ME66?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Mid-side (M/S) recording with Sennheiser ME66?

Hi!
I'm trying to figure out how to make my soundscape/field recordings of nature in stereo and am looking for tips.

For what I understand, M/S is the most versatile stereo recording since you can change the widht of the stereo in post. So I think that is what I would like to use. However if you have good ideas of how to construct a blimp for two Sennheiser me66 I gladly listen to them. This has been tricky to find on the internet.

My questions:

1. Which figure of 8 mic do you recommend to combine with the Sennheiser me66 I already have and how do I put them together?

2. How do I construct/build my own blimp or do you recommend a Rycote? I already have a Röde-blimp.

All the best to you!

Catarina
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Hi Catrina. I don't want to sound too harsh but whatever money you are considering putting into a figure-of-eight mic to make an M/S pair with your ME66, you might consider putting into a better mid mic. Not knowing your budget, of course, but knowing that the mid mic is much, much more important than what is used for the side mic, I'd suggest selling the ME66 and taking all your money and looking for a used MKH416.

Then, when you get a bit more in your account, maybe buy an Ambient ATE 208 Emesser clip-on. You might be able to find one used for in the $6-700 range. This sort of mic pair should fit into your Rode blimp with no issues. A way better combination than any other side mic combined with the ME66.

My $.02 (that and five bucks will buy a Starbucks) of course.

D.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Although MS certainly has it's applications, to me nature recording isn't one of them. For that I prefer A-B or ORTF. You'll get a wider stereo field with those techniques compared to MS, which can be less wide with a panner, or by simply realligning mics from A-B towards NOS, if needed. But I think you'll like the depth and spacious sound of AB on nature recordings..
Also, a shotgun -like your 66- and a Figure-8 mic aren't the best match for MS. A shotgun mic will cancel out the sides, just where the S mic is listening. The result sounds a bit strange. Your ideal MS combi would be (super-)Cardioid & Figure-8.

For A-B & NOS, just use 2 (Rode) blimps. For ORTF, shotguns are too long.
If you really want M-S: affordable Figure of 8's are hard to find. I have an Octava 'hammer' 8, but find it so-so.. I wrote something about it a while ago: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/post...t-shotgun.html
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search