The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Do any of you remotesters use Lectrosonics for music recording?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Do any of you remotesters use Lectrosonics for music recording?

I'm considering getting wireless belt-packs and bag-sized receivers for music recording. There's instances in live recordings where the musicians change positions on stage, and I don't have time to run down and re-focus a spot mic, let alone make sure the cable-run is clean and safe. I've been attaching small spot-mics to music-stands anyway as of late (usually Schoeps Active Capsules) and loving the results. I figured if I attach a mic (like a DPA 4099 or 4060) and a belt-pack to the music-stand, then the musician can drag it wherever they like and I don't have to worry too much about losing focus.

I'm considering Lectrosonics. It's a big investment for a little bit of convenience, so I'm on the fence. I know that they're the standard for dialogue capture for film and ENG. I wonder how transparent they are for critical music-capture. Any insights / opinions would be appreciated.

cheers!
Andrés
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I absolutely love Lectro wireless, and I used to own 14 units when I was in the motion picture biz.

I would never consider using a wireless link for any acoustic music recording, although I have used Lectro wireless for electric instrument hops in place of Samson or the like. Much better fidelity.

Never as good as a wire

D.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Thanks, Doug
Where do you think the fidelity is limited? A/D, D/A?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Oh, I think it's clearly in the FM transmission.

Still really good for what it is, of course, but the over-the-air part is convenient but not "audiophile."

D.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I use Lectrosonics in my film and TV work every day. I'm with Doug though - would never use them (or any wireless) for music. Definitely lower fidelity compared to hardwired, not to mention the much greater chance of interference from stray RF.

With that said, there are a couple of solutions that might be worth looking into. Zaxcom makes wireless transmitters that also make a recording right in the transmitter itself. So in that case you could use the wireless signal from the transmitter for monitoring during the concert, and then use the internal recording for the final mix. You can lock all of the Zaxcom transmitters together with timecode so it's easy to assemble the tracks.

If you don't need wireless monitoring, Lectrosonics also makes the PDR - a small digital recorder that is about the size of one of their transmitters. You can lock it to timecode as well so it's easy to sync tracks later.

If it were me I would still rather go wired than use these options though.

-Mike
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Wires are always better
RF is not reliable and tx companding has errors revealed by musical signal
Phase is also suspect
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Thanks, Gents. You're all saving me a lot of money!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by avillalta View Post
I'm considering getting wireless belt-packs and bag-sized receivers for music recording.
Don't. Three reasons. It will be about 2-3 orders of magnitude more expensive than an XLR cable. It'll be perhaps an order of magnitude less reliable than an XLR cable (RF devices being especially susceptible to RFI). And it'll sound worse than an XLR cable (the RF radio has to process the signal a fair amount, compared to zero processing from the cable).

So for a huge amount more money, you're getting a considerably more troublesome setup that sounds worse.

Is that what you really want?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search