The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Beezneez Omni Balls?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mics View Post
there is way too much conjecture and not enough fact
On your website the description of the omni ball is:

"By fixing the Omni ball to your Microphone in line with the front of the capsule your rear null point will no longer be in effect and the microphone will now capture sources from all directions, not just the front of the capsule. Apparent sensitivity also increases and of course the frequency response will now be affected by the entire room."

I'm guessing it means that the ball is mainly to cover up part of a cardioid mic, as opposed to raising the upper frequencies of an omni microphone.

Last edited by aracu; 6 days ago at 05:27 AM..
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
If creating a reliable flat omni pattern were as simple as blocking off vents with masking tape
Masking tape or other thin material might act more as an undesirable filter to the sound waves and produce a muffled sound. The ball shape might be thick enough around the vents to block sound waves as opposed to filtering them.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by aracu View Post
Masking tape or other thin material might act more as an undesirable filter to the sound waves and produce a muffled sound. The ball shape might be thick enough around the vents to block sound waves as opposed to filtering them.
....or as I mentioned "2 cent plastic collar", like a 0.5cm piece of cut garden hose, which spring-clings tightly to the curved outer body of the capsule ?

Your 2nd sentence gets back to the horny dilemma of this whole "conflated product"...is it intended as a very bulky and expensive cardioid vent-sealer (and response pattern modifier), or is it a competently designed and sensibly priced APE diffraction ball, intended for omni mics ? Can, or should, it be both ?
Old 6 days ago
Hi Ben,

Quote:
Originally Posted by mics View Post
Which microphone manufacturers are rolling around?
You are right, that was a overly dramatic. Nevertheless, the science of capsule design that I have learned dictates that it is always a give and take, and that a pressure transducer needs to be designed differently than other types.

I would be really interested in any measurements you have of the polar patterns/frequency response of cardioids with an APE sphere attached. My expectation is that it will be chaotic, but I am happy to be proven wrong. I would not mind sliding some balls on my Neumann cardioids if it worked well...

Best,
Dirk
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
is it intended as a very bulky and expensive cardioid vent-sealer (and response pattern modifier), or is it a competently designed and sensibly priced APE diffraction ball, intended for omni mics
I guess it is the same as an APE diffraction ball but described and marketed from the perspective of being placed on a cardioid. Interesting how something familiar can seem unusual.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aracu View Post
I guess it is the same as an APE diffraction ball but described and marketed from the perspective of being placed on a cardioid. Interesting how something familiar can seem unusual.
It has surprised me someone with a lot of practical experience in constructing boutique microphone capsules, not has taken more caution and measure frequency and phase response while the balls are mounted on a cardioid like the KM184, because he would have seen from the measurements this trick does not work on a cardioid microphone, at least that is my opinion.

Of course there is nothing against using these balls on the KM183 and KM130 series microphones, and they will offer the same advantages as the balls offered by Neumann.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search