The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sculthorpe
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Sculthorpe

I'm not sure how many Australian composers are familiar to North American or European audiences....this link gives a quick-crash course overview: Australia's 10 Greatest Composers

Here's a recent youth orchestra recording of Peter Sculthorpe's "Earth Cry" for didgeridoo and orchestra (1986), which makes prominent use of the didgeridoo. I never cease to be impressed by the vitality and ambition of youth orchestras, they shouldn't be underestimated ! Naturally the didge player walked across the front of the stage apron, before ascending the stairs and seating himself, as per the photo....as per the audio.
Percy Grainger it ain't.......
Attached Thumbnails
Sculthorpe-orch-1.jpg   Sculthorpe-orch-2.jpg  
Attached Files

Earth Cry.mp3 (12.49 MB, 336 views)

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
...I never cease to be impressed by the vitality and ambition of youth orchestras, they shouldn't be underestimated !
I couldn't agree more! But in my area, its been a bit of a challenge to get new recruits for the youth orchestra. Once we get the young musicians in, they're hooked! But getting them to sign up...well, its a bit of a challenge, what with no more classical music being taught pre-university and seemingly less money for classical outreach prorgrammes by the symphony, less and less classical on the radio, and the culture of i-gratification (as in: instant gratification from ipad, etc. versus good old listening and practice, practice, practice). What are you doing differently in Oz, may I ask?

And a lovely recording of an interesting piece, by the way. Did Grainger ever dare to include didgeridoo in any of his scores, I wonder? Anyway, it had me nostalgically remembering time I spent in your Northern Territories, many moons ago. Thanks for that.

Jim

Last edited by jimjazzdad; 3 weeks ago at 04:39 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjazzdad View Post
I couldn't agree more! But in my area, its been a bit of a challenge to get new recruits for the youth orchestra.
We're under siege here too, perhaps a fraction less so than North America, but the same termites are at work, undermining the foundations, bit by bit....

We do have a special weapon, in the form of Richard Gill: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeRus3NVbwE

Every child needs music: Richard Gill still arguing 50 years on

but I doubt one man alone, however persuasive and influential, can reverse the erosive landslide ?

I don't think he ever wrote for didgeridoo, but Grainger was a very early adopter of electronics in his music ('Free Music')....can you believe he composed this piece for Four Theremins in 1936 ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3WLm_3bvrw
The Free Music Machines of Percy Grainger - Linz
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I am distantly familiar with Peter Sculthorpe and Carl Vine. A friend of mine played one of Carl Vine's Piano Sonata's (First or Second) which was quite impressive. I am more familiar with an Australian composer named Chris Dench. He is a good composer and reasonably well known in certain circles. How big those circles are is another matter...
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Hello Adelaide Town Hall. Glad to see those dreadful Nexo Geo-S arrays are gone. Not so much a speaker system, as a collection of resonant peaks conveniently packaged. Sorry, OT.
Very good moments for a youth orchestra too.

Last edited by potscrubber; 2 weeks ago at 01:57 AM.. Reason: Getting on-T
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by potscrubber View Post
Hello Adelaide Town Hall. Glad to see those dreadful Nexo arrays are gone. Sorry, OT.
Yes, nice thin discreet white arrays now hugging the marble pillars, you'd hardly know they were there now...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search